WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I don't know much about newer generation Android phones at all. I take it "GPE and FTF" are both Sony Xperia models? What's the difference between the two? And I've only "read" that the Nexus phone are the only ones that offer the "most pure" Android.. Without all the 3rd party skins/baggage ware/front end stuff..

Maybe this is why I SHOULD pick up an Android phone as well.. catch up in what's going on around me.

In this case, there are two Xperia Z Ultras: the OG (FTF) model and the Google Play Edition version. The hardware is exactly the same. The difference is that the Google Play Edition is like the Nexus lone with "stock Android". The OG version runs Sony's skin on top.

Google no longer sells their GPE version of the Z Ultra. Summer 2014 will make the Z Ultra hardware 2 years old. The OG Sony model runs for $290...unlocked.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Ah so I take it the camera in the Xperia phones is much better than the Nexus phones eh?

I am rather spoiled by my Pureview cameras (I've had two 1020s and now my 1520)... the new iPhone 6 Plus camera looks pretty good considering, as well...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Sitting at my desk playing Titanfall for some reason... haven't played this game in months! I don't know why.. but I gave up on it a while back.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Ah so I take it the camera in the Xperia phones is much better than the Nexus phones eh?

I am rather spoiled by my Pureview cameras (I've had two 1020s and now my 1520)... the new iPhone 6 Plus camera looks pretty good considering, as well...

Do you have T-Mobile? The Xperia z3 is only for T-Mobile.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well...the Xperia Z Ultra's camera is as bad as the Nexus 4. When Sony designed this phone, it was a tablet first, phone second. I'm only using this phone as an example because you asked about a 6" phone (Z Ultra is 6.44").

In the rest of the Xperia Z line, especially from the Z1 onwards,the camera is very good...one of the top Android cameras on the market. I'd still pick a 1520/930 over the Z1- Z3 cameras, but it as Rue can tell you, it isn't a slouch.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ed, if you want to see the ZUltra's size, here is a picture I took on my 1+1. From left to right: Nokia 925, Nokia 1520, Xperia Z Ultra.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Attachments

• 5977.jpg
    5977.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 12

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

yeah most of reviews for the nexus say the camera isn't all that great... if camera is what you like most sony it is !

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Do you have T-Mobile? The Xperia z3 is only for T-Mobile.

If he's going the carrier branded route, you're right. If he goes the unlocked route, he can get a Z3 from Sony US with the North American LTE bands for both AT&T and T-Mobile....and that's still cheaper than an iPhone 6+, 16GB version. It may run him the same price as a iPhone 6 64GB outright.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Cameras on Nexus has never been a strong suit...although the N5 and now the N6 are better.

If 5.5" (iPhone 6+ size) is what you want for Android, then you can go with any of these:

1) Oneplus One
2) LG G3
3) Samsung Note 3 or Note 4
4) Sony Xperia Z3 or Z2

All of these have good cameras.

There are very few 6" Androids, most of which have ****ty cameras. I could add Huawei's Ascent line here, but I won't.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

you can always root it ;P well you can jailbreak the iPhone but idk if there is a jailbreak for ios 8 o.o

While you can root it, rooting doesn't always improve the camera feature from a hardware perspective. Truth be told,not everyone should root an Android phone for the same reason that not everyone should jailbreak a fruit stand device.

Rooting done incorrectly can compromise your phone's overall experience. For example, rooting the Xperia Z3 without doing at minimum a TA backup can mess with the camera's low light software.

So if Ed is looking to buy and Android, it boils down to figuring out his needs.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So...the GF isn't going to the gym tomorrow. That means my plan to surprise cook for her loses 3 hours. It means I need to be out of her house by 5:30pm. My goal is to cook and not be in her apartment when she comes home.

I plan to make garlic shrimp with roasted asparagus and red peppers and boiled potatoes. I may also saut?e some mushrooms too. I'm doing just enough that she can get 3 servings out of it since I'm spending Xmas at her house - one dinner serving and two lunch servings.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

While you can root it, rooting doesn't always improve the camera feature from a hardware perspective. Truth be told,not everyone should root an Android phone for the same reason that not everyone should jailbreak a fruit stand device.

Rooting done incorrectly can compromise your phone's overall experience. For example, rooting the Xperia Z3 without doing at minimum a TA backup can mess with the camera's low light software.

So if Ed is looking to buy and Android, it boils down to figuring out his needs.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Well, I don't really have any needs lol ...thats just it, my 1520 handles everything I "need" a phone to do (though since the latest update, wifi and cellular connectivity have been rather shoddy to say the least!) I'd just like to get an all around good "flagship android" phone eventually (along with the latest fruit stand device ;)), so I can gain the experience and find out what I've been missing. I'm trying to stay open minded about these ecosystems.. I mean, I'm a loyal WP fan, and I'll surely buy the first Windows 10 flagship phone if it ever comes out, but nothing's stopping me from trying different things. You know what they say; variety is the spice of life! :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh no, I'm an AT&T lifer... I've had AT&T for over 10 years now. I'd never switch to another carrier.

Thanks for the explanations Mia!

You got it. Since you're an AT&T guy, you can either stick with them and fish around to get a model on the cheap (One M8, Moto X 2014 can be on your list if camera isn't as important) or look at a used Z2 or Z Ultra if you want that ginormous screen. both the Z2 and the Z Ultra LTE models have the AT&T radios in there so you still get their speeds. It t also boils down to what you're willing to spend. If you're peeking in on Android but on a budget, a Moto X 2013 model is a nice get. You'll get a 4.7" screen in a phone the size of the 925 but runs on the same software as the Nexus 6. 99 can find you a good used model for under $250.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, I don't really have any needs lol ...thats just it, my 1520 handles everything I "need" a phone to do (though since the latest update, wifi and cellular connectivity have been rather shoddy to say the least!) I'd just like to get an all around good "flagship android" phone eventually (along with the latest fruit stand device ;)), so I can gain the experience and find out what I've been missing. I'm trying to stay open minded about these ecosystems.. I mean, I'm a loyal WP fan, and I'll surely buy the first Windows 10 flagship phone if it ever comes out, but nothing's stopping me from trying different things. You know what they say; variety is the spice of life! :)

If money isn't any issue, and you want the latest and greatest, get a Note 4 on the Android side - or slightly cheaper with the Xperia Z3. If you're not looking to sink too much money into Android but want a good experience, a Oneplus One, Xperia Z2, or at the right price points a Moto X 2014 or even a LG G3 can be a treat for you. If you're being cheap and merely taking a flyer here, a Moto X 2013 or a good condition One M8 is a good recommendation.

Posting 1+1 Style!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

So...the GF isn't going to the gym tomorrow. That means my plan to surprise cook for her loses 3 hours. It means I need to be out of her house by 5:30pm. My goal is to cook and not be in her apartment when she comes home.

I plan to make garlic shrimp with roasted asparagus and red peppers and boiled potatoes. I may also saut?e some mushrooms too. I'm doing just enough that she can get 3 servings out of it since I'm spending Xmas at her house - one dinner serving and two lunch servings.

Posting 1+1 Style!
the word shrimp makes me hungry even though I just ate

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb