WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Galaxy S5 has good camera and battery, camera is not as good as on L930 but it's faster. Battery on the other hand is better on S5, I used it more than 930 and ended day without any problem on single charge, on Lumia I had to be quite careful to not be left with dead battery on the end of the day.

S5 has the most useless high end camera in the dark of a 2014 flagship. That's why it wasn't on the recommended list for Muessig. If he's looking at a Samsung, I'd tell him a Note 3 or Note 4.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I thought about the LG G3 but when they had issues with the camera and dragged their feet about fixing it I was a bit put off by that.

There's lots of good Androids now and with decent cameras. It's only going to get more difficult for MS to compete on camera alone.

Still, the camera in the G3 overall I'd take more than the camera on the S5. S5 is slightly better in daylight though. I get that you may have been perturbed during Chregu's issue with the camera, but I can make the G3 is still impressive with the battery life and overall footprint.

Posting 1+1 Style!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

S5 has the most useless high end camera in the dark of a 2014 flagship. That's why it wasn't on the recommended list for Muessig. If he's looking at a Samsung, I'd tell him a Note 3 or Note 4.

Posting 1+1 Style!

its one of those things Sammy should focus on instead of adding 4k res on a 5in screen but that's just me

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Lol. You seriously don't understand that the Note line is more popular than the S line these days.

Posting 1+1 Style!
im not going to say that my views are correct or anything but I see more S5 than the note series. the only time Ive seen one was the last day of school for me where I saw a guy studying on his note.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Posting 1+1 Style!
Well not exactly useless but it's not the top one. Still, I daylight it produced some amazing shots.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

im not going to say that my views are correct or anything but I see more S5 than the note series. the only time Ive seen one was the last day of school for me where I saw a guy studying on his note.

I'm not knocking your views. They just sound as if they cone from a place of someone who doesn't really pay attention to Samsung with Android. The S line is the mass market line and the Note line is more niche. What Sammy has done recently is introduce new stuff in one of those lines and you see the refined version in the next. For example, the groundwork of the Note 4's very good camera came from the S5.

Plus you're seeing more S5s now because Sammy missed sales projections and is trying to sell off as much of these as possible to clear space for the S6. I'm not wailing on the S5 as it is a very good phone - it just wasn't a great one.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well not exactly useless but it's not the top one. Still, I daylight it produced some amazing shots.

It is atrocious in the dark. Really bad for a high end phone in its bracket. I'd take the M8 over it in low light anytime, anywhere. Excellent in daylight + ****ty in low light = a very good camera.

My guess is Muessig may want better overall performance...that's why I cannot recommend the S5's camera. The OPO is close enough where I could recommend it more than the S5...it loses points in the day but gain enough at night and at its current price point is one of the best shooters around. If Muessig wants to stay under 5", I'd suggest the Z3 Compact.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Right so I think it would help out with the recommendations if I was a bit more specific with my likes and dislikes of my 920 and how I want to proceed.

The 920 has been hands down the best phone I've had to date. I like that I can make it last 3 days with moderate use from a single charge and I like the stability and speed of the OS as a whole. I like the way the WP OS is going as a whole, so I'm not in any hurry to swap or change over to Android or iOS at the moment. Most of my family are on WP devices, so it's easier to stay with WP, but if I see an amazing deal on another OS I would go to it. In that sense I have no specific loyalty to any OS or ecosystem as you may say some people are entrenched in one after years of paying for apps etc.

I really like the HAAC mic's of the 920, and whenever I've been to concerts and events like that, I've flawed my friends and family with the quality of audio that was recorded. I like the camera's performance and I think the pureview 8MP in the 920 isn't bad, although I'd be looking for a boost in speed and overall quality in a new phone, especially in low light. I like that the Lumia's can record in RAW for post processing (can any other phone do this?) and I'd like the camera to be good enough to use for every day moments at outstanding quality (much like LaRue). I like the capacitive buttons on the device rather than on screen buttons, as the capacitive buttons scream of quality to me. I like the way my 920 is built like a brick and that after 2 years the only problem I've ever had with it is the usb port on the bottom of the device.

That said, this means that I can't currently connect the device to my computer to sync music without losing connection after about 2 minutes. This is a pretty bad deal breaker for me, as I love music and use my phone as an MP3 player a lot.

So, in a new device I'd be looking for a 5" or ever so slightly higher screen with a great resolution, like 1080p or higher and a crystal clear display. The truer colours the better. Ideally I'd lie to see at least 32gb but with SD card expansion would be great (not a must-have though, my 920 hasn't got SD card expansion and I've not missed it too much). I'd like better quality speakers on the device (I like the idea that HTC has with 2 speakers facing up from the screen) and I don't like it when manufacturers place speakers on the bottom of the device. The speakers being on the bottom side of the phone on the 920 has served me well but I don't like having to make the 'cup' with my hand when watching a video to 'spread' the sound better. I'm sure you know what I mean! Also I'd like a bigger, better battery than the 920 has, as I don't want to have to be consistently thinking of the next charge when I'm on the move.

Other considerations to take on board are that I'd like to connect my device to a TV etc. and be able to share pictures and the phone screen, and I'd also like to be able to use Bluetooth to connect to a car radio for phone calls, playing music and so on.

I'll be honest with you. I was going to hold out until the next wave of flagship WP devices come along, no matter when that is and make my choice then. But going for months on end without any of my own music on my phone isn't really an option.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Four 822, one 520, one 635 and one Sammy Android. Nothing you would sneeze at though☺

Got duped on the 822s. Three bad charging ports...I mean two of them charge but you have to constantly hold the cable and the phone....one was declared bad during the sale, the other two were not...grrr....and of lately the strike rate with fixing USB ports is pretty bad, I have gotten a non functional microphone about 4 of the last 5 repairs....
635 checked out just fine.
Sammy got fixed just fine, waiting on OEM battery and back cover and it will be a new phone. With the Google Now launcher actually it is not such a bad device.
Ordered the digitizer for the 520. Let's see how that repair proceeds forward.
The second 635 went to MSFT/NOK for a free LCD replacement under warranty.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Right so I think it would help out with the recommendations if I was a bit more specific with my likes and dislikes of my 920 and how I want to proceed.

The 920 has been hands down the best phone I've had to date. I like that I can make it last 3 days with moderate use from a single charge and I like the stability and speed of the OS as a whole. I like the way the WP OS is going as a whole, so I'm not in any hurry to swap or change over to Android or iOS at the moment. Most of my family are on WP devices, so it's easier to stay with WP, but if I see an amazing deal on another OS I would go to it. In that sense I have no specific loyalty to any OS or ecosystem as you may say some people are entrenched in one after years of paying for apps etc.

I really like the HAAC mic's of the 920, and whenever I've been to concerts and events like that, I've flawed my friends and family with the quality of audio that was recorded. I like the camera's performance and I think the pureview 8MP in the 920 isn't bad, although I'd be looking for a boost in speed and overall quality in a new phone, especially in low light. I like that the Lumia's can record in RAW for post processing (can any other phone do this?) and I'd like the camera to be good enough to use for every day moments at outstanding quality (much like LaRue). I like the capacitive buttons on the device rather than on screen buttons, as the capacitive buttons scream of quality to me. I like the way my 920 is built like a brick and that after 2 years the only problem I've ever had with it is the usb port on the bottom of the device.

That said, this means that I can't currently connect the device to my computer to sync music without losing connection after about 2 minutes. This is a pretty bad deal breaker for me, as I love music and use my phone as an MP3 player a lot.

So, in a new device I'd be looking for a 5" or ever so slightly higher screen with a great resolution, like 1080p or higher and a crystal clear display. The truer colours the better. Ideally I'd lie to see at least 32gb but with SD card expansion would be great (not a must-have though, my 920 hasn't got SD card expansion and I've not missed it too much). I'd like better quality speakers on the device (I like the idea that HTC has with 2 speakers facing up from the screen) and I don't like it when manufacturers place speakers on the bottom of the device. The speakers being on the bottom side of the phone on the 920 has served me well but I don't like having to make the 'cup' with my hand when watching a video to 'spread' the sound better. I'm sure you know what I mean! Also I'd like a bigger, better battery than the 920 has, as I don't want to have to be consistently thinking of the next charge when I'm on the move.

Other considerations to take on board are that I'd like to connect my device to a TV etc. and be able to share pictures and the phone screen, and I'd also like to be able to use Bluetooth to connect to a car radio for phone calls, playing music and so on.

I'll be honest with you. I was going to hold out until the next wave of flagship WP devices come along, no matter when that is and make my choice then. But going for months on end without any of my own music on my phone isn't really an option.

Get a broken screen Lumia 920 on eBay for the same screen you are using and swap out the motherboard. It is about a 30 minute job and absolutely worth it if you like your 920 so much. I would be happy to send you a 920 from here but ATT locks them down like Fort Knox!!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm not knocking your views. They just sound as if they cone from a place of someone who doesn't really pay attention to Samsung with Android. The S line is the mass market line and the Note line is more niche. What Sammy has done recently is introduce new stuff in one of those lines and you see the refined version in the next. For example, the groundwork of the Note 4's very good camera came from the S5.

Plus you're seeing more S5s now because Sammy missed sales projections and is trying to sell off as much of these as possible to clear space for the S6. I'm not wailing on the S5 as it is a very good phone - it just wasn't a great one.

Posting 1+1 Style!

I do know the note line is popular don't get me wrong but when I didn't see many i started to question that idea because I would see more S5. I see where you are getting at now

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Hmm can't quote box guy . Anyways that's being specific its like you want to keep your 920 . The way I see it is that you got 4options . Keep the 920 and hold out till then next way of WP 2) do the DIY way 3) buy a 520 and use that as a music player 4) buy a 930.
I like the DIY method better because you would be fixing the problem.
sent from my rare nokia lumia 810

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Wow, I woke up to this timely discussion that would help me make a choice.

After a failed attempt to get the Honor 6 from Lazada, I just found out I'm eligible to get a new phone from my provider. Decent choices include the iPhone 6/6+, LG G3, Samsung, Sony...

Before I slept my mind is kinda set on the G3...
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Short version, here are some choices:

A) If you were buying something right now:

Lumia 930, Oneplus One. These record in RAW. Not sure about the OPO's mics for videos as I don't personally shoot a ton of videos here. Not sure if the other Androids shoot in RAW for stills. Honorable mention is the 1520.

B) Repair your 920 and wait. This may be the cheapest option. Maybe bum a 520 while getting the 920 repaired. Or maybe you can score one of those 925 32GB models or even a 1020 used in the event you cannot repair the 920.

Posting 1+1 Style!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb