WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 100K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Can you answer me this question and I've been curious as people seem to get real excited about it. Why do you need RAW?

i don't need it anymore but in photoshop class we had a section to compare jpeg files to raw. once i opened both up and compared the both in photoshop there was a difference in the colors and how i could manipulate the photo. i thought that was pretty cool

and its more of because i can have it

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

i don't need it anymore but in photoshop class we had a section to compare jpeg files to raw. once i opened both up and compared the both in photoshop there was a difference in the colors and how i could manipulate the photo. i thought that was pretty cool

and its more of because i can have it

So if you're not going to use it what's the point of being excited by it?

I know what RAW is, I understand what it is and why it's used. I actually went to a photography workshop a few years back.

I don't disagree to having RAW but I don't get the overall excitement about having it. I'll explain it this way.

Since the world of mobile phones can't seem to break the 32GB barrier without SD cards (which can sometimes be difficult to remove) or costing a fortune space continues to be a premium. RAW image files are huge. The larger the mega pixels on a camera the larger the file.

Next, RAW files need post processing to be used. So even though you're able to do many wonderful things with a RAW file to fix flaws in it you will need a good photo editor which hopefully has a good image converter built in. I'm just not sure in our day and age of posting to Instagram and using Snapchat where people are going to take the time to do this sort of thing on their mobile devices. It's different if you're a professional photographer or a good armature but the average person?

So on the whole I think it's great to have RAW but I don't see the excitement from some people about. What's the gain to the average person other than more fiddling around with images?

Maybe it's my age but the obsession with cameras and images lately is a bit odd.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So if you're not going to use it what's the point of being excited by it?

I know what RAW is, I understand what it is and why it's used. I actually went to a photography workshop a few years back.

I don't disagree to having RAW but I don't get the overall excitement about having it. I'll explain it this way.

Since the world of mobile phones can't seem to break the 32GB barrier without SD cards (which can sometimes be difficult to remove) or costing a fortune space continues to be a premium. RAW image files are huge. The larger the mega pixels on a camera the larger the file.

Next, RAW files need post processing to be used. So even though you're able to do many wonderful things with a RAW file to fix flaws in it you will need a good photo editor which hopefully has a good image converter built in. I'm just not sure in our day and age of posting to Instagram and using Snapchat where people are going to take the time to do this sort of thing on their mobile devices. It's different if you're a professional photographer or a good armature but the average person?

So on the whole I think it's great to have RAW but I don't see the excitement from some people about. What's the gain to the average person other than more fiddling around with images?

Maybe it's my age but the obsession with cameras and images lately is a bit odd.

Well...my OPO shoots in RAW (both the 16 and the 64 GB models) and so does the 1520. At this point I wouldn't use that because I lack the skills and the post processing software at home. I certainly would use that after taking a photography class and getting the software. From then on, I'd be inclined to take my super important photos using that format only.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I see both the 930 and 830 went gold. Pity they didn't update the chip sets whole doing it.

Posting 1+1 Style!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well...my OPO shoots in RAW (both the 16 and the 64 GB models) and so does the 1520. At this point I wouldn't use that because I lack the skills and the post processing software at home. I certainly would use that after taking a photography class and getting the software. From then on, I'd be inclined to take my super important photos using that format only.

Posting 1+1 Style!

I agree with taking photos that matter with RAW format. That would make sense. I just don't see it being a the 'norm'. I read on another site that state most people who have a DSLR rarely switch it off Auto and don't know what RAW is.

The key factor with RAW is knowing how to edit it properly. I agree that having training in software and how to achieve the best results is a good idea. Sure you can muck about but why not do it right?

My workshop didn't go into the software much but the trainer did encourage us to use RAW but also felt that for most situations JPEG is fine.

I've heard rumours that Sony will allow RAW with 5.0. :) I probably do the same as you and save it for important shots. :)

Keeping in mind that a RAW image is about 5x bigger than a JPEG one. So in my case the average picture is about 3MB with RAW it will be over 15MB.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I see both the 930 and 830 went gold. Pity they didn't update the chip sets whole doing it.

Posting 1+1 Style!

If only....

Then again, people who own WPs are proud the OS runs buttery smooth on the low/old hardware... How dare you say that WP needs better hardware! Get a 1520 if you want the best experience.. oh... you have one... :p

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

No I'm happy to be a one phone type of person. I still have my L920 as well which I'm waiting for Denim, not that I expect much from that.
Now I feel guilty. Ha ha. Two Android phones, two iPhones, and two Windows phones.

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree with taking photos that matter with RAW format. That would make sense. I just don't see it being a the 'norm'. I read on another site that state most people who have a DSLR rarely switch it off Auto and don't know what RAW is.

The key factor with RAW is knowing how to edit it properly. I agree that having training in software and how to achieve the best results is a good idea. Sure you can muck about but why not do it right?

My workshop didn't go into the software much but the trainer did encourage us to use RAW but also felt that for most situations JPEG is fine.

I've heard rumours that Sony will allow RAW with 5.0. :) I probably do the same as you and save it for important shots. :)

Keeping in mind that a RAW image is about 5x bigger than a JPEG one. So in my case the average picture is about 3MB with RAW it will be over 15MB.

Agreed. Taking a photog class is on my short list for sure.

Personally I like having the 64GB internal storage. I realize I only use half for true data and keep a chunk of the remainder free for backups. If I went back to a setup like the Z2 (16GB+ microSD), I'm keeping the bare minimum of apps onboard now that I have an Android tab.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Now I feel guilty. Ha ha. Two Android phones, two iPhones, and two Windows phones.

Sent from my H60-L04 using Tapatalk

Lol. In my house I've got iPhone, 1 WP, 1 Android, 1 Android phablet, 1 Android tab and one windows transformer.

Nothing to be be ashamed of there.

Posting 1+1 Style!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If only....

Then again, people who own WPs are proud the OS runs buttery smooth on the low/old hardware... How dare you say that WP needs better hardware! Get a 1520 if you want the best experience.. oh... you have one... :p

GTF outta here with that mess! Lol. And these are the same folks who like to **** on the HTC M8 too when it has the newer chip set and the biggest battery on a WP model under 6".

Posting 1+1 Style!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro