WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I figured I'd share this with folks. It is one of the busiest subways stops in NYC in terms of volume of riders moved, and it is one of my transfer points to and from work. Please a note on the rough estimate of daily riders.

Sahib, I think we in NYC can fit your whole town in 1-2 subway cars...

Penned on a Xperia Z3

Attachments

• 40281.jpg
    40281.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 8

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
(Dusts off soapbox before use)

So I'm transferring at the station at referred to in my last post from the E to the #6 and there is a massive pileup of commuters by the subway car entrance. I quickly see why - there was a heavy set homeless female sitting in one of the smaller two seaters with a very prominent body odor. So I stood across the aisle from her because my nose was partly stuffy and I work with homeless youth, some of whom have a similar odor level. It was just funny watching people's reactions when the smell hit them...here they are, clean and busy, rushing off to their day and to be bothered by this homeless person who is on the train in rush hour no less! Such an inconvenience!

The looks they gave her was tremendously...unnerving. I looked over at the woman and saw something else. I wondered what her story was. Does she speak another language? What are her possible medical and mental health conditions? Is there addiction, assault, abuse, sex work in her history? Where is her family? Was she merely trying to catch a nap because this was the first time in a few hours she could do so, knowing her body odor could leave her undisturbed by most for a few moments? Homeless folks have to have a skin as thick as the dirt from being unwashed sometimes when dealing with regular folks because they're in that least, lost and forgotten group in society.

Some are scammers, but have to scam to survive. Some are good people who burned too many bridges themselves to receive help. Others have had life torch bridges for them in the form of circumstances with regard to the questions I asked earlier. It just irks me when people look through them. I never liked this phrase being used as a reason by some groups to solicit money but it is the truth: "it could be you".

With employment and housing the top 2 issues for many folks here, you wonder how do people expect the homeless to get up off their feet and stay on it. The message is clear: "don't fall through the cracks, as there isn't much people can do to help you up".

That's not right. Resources should be allocated, but they are piled up in the hands of the uber wealthy.

That's not right.

Posted Approved by Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

(Dusts off soapbox before use)

So I'm transferring at the station at referred to in my last post from the E to the #6 and there is a massive pileup of commuters by the subway car entrance. I quickly see why - there was a heavy set homeless female sitting in one of the smaller two seaters with a very prominent body odor. So I stood across the aisle from her because my nose was partly stuffy and I work with homeless youth, some of whom have a similar odor level. It was just funny watching people's reactions when the smell hit them...here they are, clean and busy, rushing off to their day and to be bothered by this homeless person who is on the train in rush hour no less! Such an inconvenience!

The looks they gave her was tremendously...unnerving. I looked over at the woman and saw something else. I wondered what her story was. Does she speak another language? What are her possible medical and mental health conditions? Is there addiction, assault, abuse, sex work in her history? Where is her family? Was she merely trying to catch a nap because this was the first time in a few hours she could do so, knowing her body odor could leave her undisturbed by most for a few moments? Homeless folks have to have a skin as thick as the dirt from being unwashed sometimes when dealing with regular folks because they're in that least, lost and forgotten group in society.

Some are scammers, but have to scam to survive. Some are good people who burned too many bridges themselves to receive help. Others have had life torch bridges for them in the form of circumstances with regard to the questions I asked earlier. It just irks me when people look through them. I never liked this phrase being used as a reason by some groups to solicit money but it is the truth: "it could be you".

With employment and housing the top 2 issues for many folks here, you wonder how do people expect the homeless to get up off their feet and stay on it. The message is clear: "don't fall through the cracks, as there isn't much people can do to help you up".

That's not right. Resources should be allocated, but they are piled up in the hands of the uber wealthy.

That's not right.

That was a good dusting off. :)

Your last sentence is a clear indication of what is wrong with the world at the moment. Too many people using property as assets and the prices going up so only the 'wealthy' can own them. We have major issues here in the UK with this stuff. We have wealthy people from overseas buying large quantities of property, increase prices so no one else can afford property and causing unrealistic housing shortages. Same thing was happening in Australia as well and I'm sure happening elsewhere.

A note on the homeless here's a great quote from Bill Hicks:

"Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and the right friends, and you are well… your buddies will see you off. They'll christen your dumpster for you."

That's to go along with your statement of anyone can fall through the cracks.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That was a good dusting off. :)

Your last sentence is a clear indication of what is wrong with the world at the moment. Too many people using property as assets and the prices going up so only the 'wealthy' can own them. We have major issues here in the UK with this stuff. We have wealthy people from overseas buying large quantities of property, increase prices so no one else can afford property and causing unrealistic housing shortages. Same thing was happening in Australia as well and I'm sure happening elsewhere.

A note on the homeless here's a great quote from Bill Hicks:

"Anybody can be a bum; all it takes is the right girl, the right bar and the right friends, and you are well? your buddies will see you off. They'll christen your dumpster for you."

That's to go along with your statement of anyone can fall through the cracks.

There are 1826 people on the billionaires list.

Let the sentence sink in for a second. Bill Gates is still #1 and he is giving his away, but he falls in the 1% in that group looking to share the wealth. Steve Ballmer cut a check for $2Billion for a mid level NBA franchise in the LA Clippers last fall. Yes, he is keeping people employed and all that, but still. To be able to buy that like you walk into a store and buy an iPhone carrier free and not blink because your resources are so secure is mind bending.

Equally as mind bending is having homeless and underserved populations here in the strongest global economy. In the same country that had no paid federal maternity leave for women.

SMH.

Penned on a Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Equally as mind bending is having homeless and underserved populations here in the strongest global economy. In the same country that had no paid federal maternity leave for women.

One of the last two remaining countries if memory serves me correctly.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Let the sentence sink in for a second. Bill Gates is still #1 and he is giving his away, but he falls in the 1% in that group looking to share the wealth. Steve Ballmer cut a check for $2Billion for a mid level NBA franchise in the LA Clippers last fall. Yes, he is keeping people employed and all that, but still. To be able to buy that like you walk into a store and buy an iPhone carrier free and not blink because your resources are so secure is mind bending.

Please don't get me started on sports... please.... the things I can say.... sigh...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There are 1826 people on the billionaires list.

No one wants to be a millionaire any more, billionaire is where it's at... :p

The numbers around the world are not very large anyway. The millionaires are as much a problem as the billionaires though. They're all striving to get 'more'.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

The thing I have recently learned is that regardless of what other people might think, we should help other people whether they are homeless/unemployed or not.

For example, if that homeless person on the subway dropped some of the stuff she was carrying, nobody would have helped her because of the fear of what other people might think.

Never let that fear get to you. Being different doesn't necessarily make you bad.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The thing I have recently learned is that regardless of what other people might think, we should help other people whether they are homeless/unemployed or not.

For example, if that homeless person on the subway dropped some of the stuff she was carrying, nobody would have helped her because of the fear of what other people might think.

Never let that fear get to you. Being different doesn't necessarily make you bad.

That's a nice sentiment. I'm glad someone so young thinks like that.

Keep in mind when you're talking to myself and MIA we also believe in helping everyone. We have no discrimination at all. LGBT, race, culture, disability, etc. Doesn't matter to us.

For me it's been a life long learning process to get to here. I had to shed some prejudices along the way. Doesn't mean I'm perfect but I do my best to treat others as they treat me. Which is all that can be asked of anyone.

And, believe it or not, learning about science, especially evolution, was a large part of that process.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Please don't get me started on sports... please.... the things I can say.... sigh...

My take on sports is simple. Anything that legally you can allow for people to earn a living in a legal manner, I'm fine with it. Yes, it is hype and artificial in many ways, but a skill is a skill and a talent is a talent. Beats the alternative, especially those in difficult socioeconomic backgrounds.

Still, it is astounding for one person to have the means to just buy a team like Ballmer did - cash only too, if I remember correctly. And yet they raised the fares here in NYC to $2.75 a ride and that extra .25 is crushing many folks.

Fire 29

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

That's a nice sentiment. I'm glad someone so young thinks like that.

Keep in mind when you're talking to myself and MIA we also believe in helping everyone. We have no discrimination at all. LGBT, race, culture, disability, etc. Doesn't matter to us.

For me it's been a life long learning process to get to here. I had to shed some prejudices along the way. Doesn't mean I'm perfect but I do my best to treat others as they treat me. Which is all that can be asked of anyone.

And, believe it or not, learning about science, especially evolution, was a large part of that process.

Thanks.I appreciate it.
The company in which my father works in has a driver which used to call me "sir" even though he was much older in age than me.I told him to just call me by my first name or just add the word "bro" with my first name.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh. Now I recall. It was one of the last two western countries. Australia was the other. Now it's only the US.

And it is simply because the powers that be still benefit from no paid maternity leave for women, and keeping women making .78-.86 for every $1 made by men for the exact same work.

Don't rile me up man, lol. Perhaps I need to get off my soapbox so the silliness can return to the thread.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No one wants to be a millionaire any more, billionaire is where it's at... :p

The numbers around the world are not very large anyway. The millionaires are as much a problem as the billionaires though. They're all striving to get 'more'.

A millionaire in the US isn't worth ****. It can cost a specialty doctor over the course of their medical training a million dollars for their education. That's why millionaires want more money. The tax man's knife still has more biting teeth to a millionaire than to a $100 millionaire than to a billionaire.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

And it is simply because the powers that be still benefit from no paid maternity leave for women, and keeping women making .78-.86 for every $1 made by men for the exact same work.

Don't rile me up man, lol. Perhaps I need to get off my soapbox so the silliness can return to the thread.

I'd rather have this here than the typos and the coffee snobbery from you know who!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

A millionaire in the US isn't worth ****. It can cost a specialty doctor over the course of their medical training a million dollars for their education. That's why millionaires want more money. The tax man's knife still has more biting teeth to a millionaire than to a $100 millionaire than to a billionaire.

Even then there is no excuse for not paying the taxes...I grew up in a place where when the population was close to 950 million and only 5 million registered tax payers....and that too all government employees and one could see why no services existed....even though there is wastage here, tax dollars do work....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05