WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

The sinks in older houses in the US also have separate hot and cold faucets. By older, that usually means ca 1920s or earlier.

I didn't notice a dishwasher in the kitchen. Are dishwashers common in the UK?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
We have a dishwasher but they are not common. As you saw the kitchens can be rather small.

I'm surprised she didn't mention the sink bucket. That's something that messes with your mind.

The place we lived at up north had no dishwasher. The bathroom was recently updated and still had the two faucets. That's the issue with rented places....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

the one that stuck out was the washing machine in the kitchen and the on and off switch for the electricity o_O
The pull switch is not as common as it used to be but it's still around. We had it in our place up north. The regulations on electricity as she mentioned is very strict here. North America is too laid back about electricity IMO.

Our washing machine is in the kitchen. Even newer places still have it that way.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just to make things even more interesting the rest of the EU is different.

You find the washing machine in the bathroom. The electrical plugs are different. They have sockets in the bathroom.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

We have a dishwasher but they are not common. As you saw the kitchens can be rather small.

I'm surpassed she didn't mention the sink bucket. That's something that messes with your mind.

The place we lived at up north had no dishwasher. The bathroom was recently updated and still had the two faucets. That's the issue with rented places....
That's interesting, because my parents got a dishwasher in their house in 1975. The house was originally built in 1957. They tore out part of the kitchen cabinets and put the dishwasher in that spot.

It's only apartments that usually don't have dishwashers here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The pull switch is not as common as it used to be but it's still around. We had it in our place up north. The regulations on electricity as she mentioned is very strict here. North America is too laid back about electricity IMO.

Our washing machine is in the kitchen. Even newer places still have it that way.
Is your washing machine also a dryer? That's new to me! I've never seen a single machine that washes and dries clothes here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's interesting, because my parents got a dishwasher in their house in 1975. The house was originally built in 1957. They tore out part of the kitchen cabinets and put the dishwasher in that spot.

It's only apartments that usually don't have dishwashers here.
The issue we have here is the rental market. With investors not wanting to spend on their investments things just stay the way they are. They do the bare minimum and sometimes not even that. There are lots of calls for changes to rental laws but so far no government seems to care.

We have whole apartment complexes being built specifically for investors here.

Dishwashers are becoming more common but that's only happening with owner homes and newer builds.

Then lastly we have the wage issue. Even if people own their home doing anything to it is expensive. To a lot of people here ?100 is a lot of money.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The issue we have here is the rental market. With investors not wanting to spend on their investments things just stay the way they are. They do the bare minimum and sometimes not even that. There are lots of calls for changes to rental laws but so far no government seems to care.

We have whole apartment complexes being built specifically for investors here.

Dishwashers are becoming more common but that's only happening with owner homes and newer builds.

Then lastly we have the wage issue. Even if people own their home doing anything to it is expensive. To a lot of people here ?100 is a lot of money.
The rental market isn't all that different here in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa