WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Is your washing machine also a dryer? That's new to me! I've never seen a single machine that washes and dries clothes here.
Fairly common in the EU. Ours is like that but we don't use that function too often.

My sister tried a front loader in Canada and it leaked. I never had that issue with them. I think she over loaded it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Fairly common in the EU. Ours is like that but we don't use that function too often.

My sister tried a front loader in Canada and it leaked. I never had that issue with them. I think she over loaded it.
Most of the washers in laundromats here are front loaders. The washer in the laundry room of my apartment is a front loader. Three of my cousins have front loaders.

I've never experienced leakage, nor have my cousins.

I think you're probably right wrt user error with your sister's washer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The rental market isn't all that different here in the US.
Oh I know. The rest of the world keeps copying everything the US does. Both good and bad.

When it comes to the idea of free markets everyone looks to the US with envy and usually drools.

Saying that, the UK and specifically London, has become a tax haven for the super rich and the whole idea of trickle down economy is alive and well here.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Oh I know. The rest of the world keeps copying everything the US does. Both good and bad.

When it comes to the idea of free markets everyone looks to the US with envy and usually drools.

Saying that, the UK and specifically London, has become a tax haven for the super rich and the whole idea of trickle down economy is alive and well here.
I thought UK citizens who are super-rich, such as celebrities in the music and film businesses, typically reside outside the UK for tax purposes.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I thought UK citizens who are super-rich, such as celebrities in the music and film businesses, typically reside outside the UK for tax purposes.
Things have changed. I'll have to find some articles. The super rich are all flocking here now. Doesn't mean they don't have offshore accounts but the UK is the place to be if you're wealthy.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site

Things have changed. I'll have to find some articles. The super rich are all flocking here now. Doesn't mean they don't have offshore accounts but the UK is the place to be if you're wealthy.
Yeah they may have a residence here but it doesn't mean that they 'live' here. Plus their money is in Monaco..... and that's where they are in the winter!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Do you have a washer in your kitchen? Is the same machine both a washer and a dryer?

Personally we have a washing machine and a dishwasher in the kitchen. They are side by side, but not the same machine. Same make though.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Personally we have a washing machine and a dishwasher in the kitchen. They are side by side, but not the same machine. Same make though.
Does the washing machine also dry the clothes?

I never knew such a thing existed. We have separate machines to wash and dry our clothes.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Keep in mind when I said 'super rich' - Treasury reveals how little tax the super-rich pay | Society | The Guardian

Why the super-rich love the UK | Society | The Guardian

The Super-Rich and Us on BBC2: How much money do the wealthiest people make? Who are the richest people in the world?

I know these are older articles but I can't find anything 'new' in amongst the election news. There's many more but I think that should cover it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

When I was really young, I remember going to my great aunt's house. She lived in an old neighbourhood, in a house that was originally built in the 19th Century.

Her house had a cellar with a dirt floor. The house had a furnace in a room, but there was no duct work, so the furnace just heated the entire house based upon dispersion of the heat.

The bathroom, with bathtub, toilet and sink, was an addition onto the house. It did not get much heat at all.

I learned later that many people did not have bathrooms in their houses here in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. They had outhouses in their back yards. They went to bath houses to bathe.

http://clevelandhistorical.org/items/show/154#.VUsT5EF7nDc

An old public bath house was converted into upscale condos in the mid-90s. That neighbourhood has art walks monthly. During one art walk, I explored the ruins of the old bath house, prior to the renovation, along with some friends. We haven't toured the condos since they've been built. That same neighbourhood is where St Theodosius Russian Orthodox Cathedral is located. That was the church where the wedding scene in The Deer Hunter was filmed.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Does the washing machine also dry the clothes?

I never knew such a thing existed. We have separate machines to wash and dry our clothes.

You can get both here. Typically font loaders have both washing and drying capabilities. You can get a front loader washer and a front loader dryer separately. You can get top loader washer as well.

Most go for the one machine because of space constraints which is a common thing in Europe overall.

Here's a rather 'odd' looking washer/dryer that we had in Finland. - This is a 'top loader' but not like anything you've seen before. The 'drum' is sealed and it opens up to put the clothes in so it acts like a front loader. It washes and dries. It's very compact as well.

AWE2316.jpgPesukone+pyykki+pesurumpu.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

You can get both here. Typically font loaders have both washing and drying capabilities. You can get a front loader washer and a front loader dryer separately. You can get top loader washer as well.

Most go for the one machine because of space constraints which is a common thing in Europe overall.

Here's a rather 'odd' looking washer/dryer that we had in Finland. - This is a 'top loader' but not like anything you've seen before. The 'drum' is sealed and it opens up to put the clothes in so it acts like a front loader. It washes and dries. It's very compact as well.

View attachment 104142View attachment 104143
That's cool! You're right. I've never seen anything like that, nor even knew such things existed.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's cool! You're right. I've never seen anything like that, nor even knew such things existed.

Finland typically puts their washers in the bathroom or other wet room if you have a separate one. Unlike the UK. :p

The Finish/Scandinavian bathroom is a whole other discussion...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Interesting, I have never heard of most of this stuff. But my grandfather also has separate bathroom and WC, his house is from 1960s so this was probably the thing of that time.

Some new builds do this and I recall many in Canada that had this as well.

What I have trouble getting used to is carpet in the bathroom and we even had it in the kitchen... so unhygienic!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Some new builds do this and I recall many in Canada that had this as well.

What I have trouble getting used to is carpet in the bathroom and we even had it in the kitchen... so unhygienic!
Most people here don't have carpet in bathroom or kitchen. Tile floor in common in bathroom. Kitchen floor is either tile or hardwood.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Most people here don't have carpet in bathroom or kitchen. Tile floor in common in bathroom. Kitchen floor is either tile or hardwood.

That's the way it's gone here as well. Though you still run into carpet in bathrooms and kitchens here. Depends on the age of the place and the people living in it. Some people just love carpet... it's a bit of a UK obsession I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99