WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

In other news....

I have a news feed on my Facebook from News.com.au (Australia) it's a Murdoch news site with all that comes with it.

I keep it simply to see what's going on over there.

Lately they've been spouting rather depressing news and I guess if you live in the bubble that is Australia and enclosed in the Murdoch news ring you might feel it's all true. That's not to say there isn't some truth to some of it but you sometimes wonder...

Anyway. First news story I saw was talking about a possible return to recession. The HSBC chief economist Stephen King (life is weird isn't it?) has made some scary comments along those lines. This is hardly surprising news to me. Everyone has been so reliant on China and their economy that when it finally is proven that the whole thing is a mess the world economy will probably tank. :p

There's been information leaking out about China and other Asian markets for years that the whole thing is a mess. Since they've been some of the biggest investors in housing lately, especially here in the UK, it might not be such a bad idea to have a mini earthquake... I might be able to buy something...

The other news....

Apparently we're on the cusp of WWIII.... yeah, like that's new. :p Quite depressing though.

Haven't we been on the cusp of WWW3 for the past 10 years now?

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Morning crew... I was talking to the GF this morning about all these apps coming to WP lately, more specifically the popular iOS games like Monument Valley and Crossy Road, which have both recently become available in the WP store. I told her that this is just the beginning, sticking up for Windows, as she is a die hard Apple fan and one who believes that the WP "app gap" is never going to go away, and that Windows "phones" will never be able to compete against Apple and Android. So, over coffee, I whipped up this simple "infographic" to explain things, and I thought I'd share it here.

Windows10_market.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Took a whole 10 minutes lol

I know that's the talking point of W10 but the question that needs to be asked is how many of those users use the current Windows Store on PC.

Just going by general conversation. There's still users who refuse to upgrade to W8. There are users who change W8 to look like W7, totally bypassing the Start screen. Then there are those who still refuse to give up Xp.

Just going by that alone I don't see how W10 changes much at this stage regardless of universal apps. Keeping in mind that a large quantity of mobile apps are just that... mobile apps.

Most people can get the same or better experience of some services via web browser on a PC.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just my two cents worth with regards to the whole universal app thing.

For it to be successful people are going to have to have a perceived benefit of them otherwise people will not bother. This is where things can either 'work' in MS favor or it will fall down.

You have to convince people that it's a good thing. Without that it's really just a niche idea that may work.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Way too many in the US to choose from. I have enough here to. Trust me....

So we string them up in a line and make sure when you toss it, we hit as many as possible.

Lurkers, please understand it is not that I dislike politicians... I just despise the stupid, corrupt and incompetent ones, which are too abundant in number these days...

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I know that's the talking point of W10 but the question that needs to be asked is how many of those users use the current Windows Store on PC.

Just going by general conversation. There's still users who refuse to upgrade to W8. There are users who change W8 to look like W7, totally bypassing the Start screen. Then there are those who still refuse to give up Xp.

Just going by that alone I don't see how W10 changes much at this stage regardless of universal apps. Keeping in mind that a large quantity of mobile apps are just that... mobile apps.

Most people can get the same or better experience of some services via web browser on a PC.

The "current" Windows store on PC, not many.. but once Win10 comes about, with the "new" store (currently the Beta store) which will include modern apps as well as legacy x86 applications, I predict many. Especially once users start seeing the benefit of Win10 and it's ecosystem. For W7 and W8 users, the "free for the first year" upgrade to Win10 should be irresistible. Those who refuse to give up XP are going to be forced to upgrade eventually, once their machines cease to function from lack of core OS support (unless they're part of a large organization that paid dearly for the extended XP enterprise support). Home users are out of luck.

True, mobile apps, such as Snapchat, will always be a mobile only app. But other apps, games for example, can be very appealing in a "universal" setting. I've seen the benefits of this first hand recently with a couple titles I bought from the Windows store. Play them on my phone (1520) and pick up where I left off on my PC. It's a great thing IMO... more on this later.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MSFT announced this years ago and it is great to see that they are working towards it. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as much if they cannot make it work, and work well.

I hate to be negative, but that's the truth. It isn't so much about being able to start a game on a 1520 and continue it on an Xbox and continuing it on a tablet. It is about how do all of these devices talk to each other better so I get back to what's going on in life.

One of the great things I liked about WP's campaign was the ability to use your device for what's happening in real life, instead of having your nose it the device itself. If MSFT can show not only cross platform but within platform as to why they can do that better than Google or Apple, they'll be in great shape. You notice that Android and iOS are going into Auto? I can see a situation where if I'm on Android I can be driving in my car tapping into Nest to check on the kids at home, voice commands for a to do list, using NFC to unlock the car doors and pay for groceries, etc. Or if I'm an iOS user to have Siri in the car plan a route, share the address to someone working on a conference call?

So how's does MSFT plan to leverage that kind of wide scale example of possible multi users for multi users? I won't bust them because they have the hardest job which is to get it all to work decently enough on I OS and Android to satisfy those who use those platoforms and won't switch and to those loyal to MSFT or agnostic newbies that they can lure into the MSFT perspective.

I have no answers, but that's what makes the most sense...that sort of big thinking as to justifying purchasing all these mobile techs - the seamless nature of convenience.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My home internet is fixed! And on Monday once I order my amazon TV fire stick, I'm gonna cut my cable off!

I'm thinking of downgrading my speed from the up to 105MB/s to the up to 25 Mb/s package ($13 difference). But if I need to stream live sports the extra speed may come in handy.

Gonna sleep on it and decide over the weekend...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

MSFT announced this years ago and it is great to see that they are working towards it. Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as much if they cannot make it work, and work well.

I hate to be negative, but that's the truth. It isn't so much about being able to start a game on a 1520 and continue it on an Xbox and continuing it on a tablet. It is about how do all of these devices talk to each other better so I get back to what's going on in life.

One of the great things I liked about WP's campaign was the ability to use your device for what's happening in real life, instead of having your nose it the device itself. If MSFT can show not only cross platform but within platform as to why they can do that better than Google or Apple, they'll be in great shape. You notice that Android and iOS are going into Auto? I can see a situation where if I'm on Android I can be driving in my car tapping into Nest to check on the kids at home, voice commands for a to do list, using NFC to unlock the car doors and pay for groceries, etc. Or if I'm an iOS user to have Siri in the car plan a route, share the address to someone working on a conference call?

So how's does MSFT plan to leverage that kind of wide scale example of possible multi users for multi users? I won't bust them because they have the hardest job which is to get it all to work decently enough on I OS and Android to satisfy those who use those platoforms and won't switch and to those loyal to MSFT or agnostic newbies that they can lure into the MSFT perspective.

I have no answers, but that's what makes the most sense...that sort of big thinking as to justifying purchasing all these mobile techs - the seamless nature of convenience.

All great, and I agree with everything (as I type this on my iPad Air 2), but the "infograph" I posted earlier, and my point, as it were, was about developer reach with the Windows 10 platform; the market share then, versus the market that opens up with Windows 10. Not about whether or not all the universal apps and devices work well with each other. Or not even what other platforms might have going for them.

The market outlook for developers on Windows 10 is undeniably huge. I think when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 and the unified store is when they're really going to see the growth.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I got a few politicians you toss the computer at, trust me...

Way too many in the US to choose from. I have enough here to. Trust me....

So we string them up in a line and make sure when you toss it, we hit as many as possible.

Lurkers, please understand it is not that I dislike politicians... I just despise the stupid, corrupt and incompetent ones, which are too abundant in number these days...

I agree with both of you. I don't think those of us in the US are the only ones who have to deal with these types of politicians either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire