WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well that's always a good step.... LOL!

I didn't get my first passport until I was 32. So I know the feeling. My first overseas trip was to Australia.

Maybe just get the passport and then go from there. :) Nothing wrong with having one. :)
I've been to Canada as a child and as an adult, but passports weren't required at the time.

The only person in my family who travelled internationally and had a passport was my step-grandfather. He had family in Europe. We still have his KLM airlines bag from his last trip.

I know passports are good for 10 years.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've been to Canada as a child and as an adult, but passports weren't required at the time.

The only person in my family who travelled internationally and had a passport was my step-grandfather. He had family in Europe. We still have his KLM airlines bag from his last trip.

I know passports are good for 10 years.

I was the first in my family.

That's good that US passports last for 10 years. In some countries they're only 5 years. Which is annoying. Australia is 10.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Not to be like the Nike commercial, but I've come to the philosophy that sometimes you need to 'Just do it'. I keep thinking of my earlier life and realising that I kept myself back way too much for all the wrong reasons.

If it means a lot it's best to do it because time slips away so quickly as you get older.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Not to be like the Nike commercial, but I've come to the philosophy that sometimes you need to 'Just do it'. I keep thinking of my earlier life and realising that I kept myself back way too much for all the wrong reasons.

If it means a lot it's best to do it because time slips away so quickly as you get older.
I have two friends whose parents chose to travel extensively internationally once they retired from their jobs. Both couples spend more time overseas than they do here. One couple are retired school teachers. The other couple are a retired chemical engineer and a retired school teacher.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have two friends whose parents chose to travel extensively internationally once they retired from their jobs. Both couples spend more time overseas than they do here. One couple are retired school teachers. The other couple are a retired chemical engineer and a retired school teacher.

Nothing against waiting for retirement but I'm a firm believer that we can't predict what can happen so I'm of the opinion to do things as soon as viable. The philosophy of 'waiting' can lead to 'never'.

To give an example. My wife's grandfather talked of winning the lottery and then returning to Finland 'one day'. He would talk often about it, especially when the family was together. He died of a brain aneurysm at a fairly early age by today's standards.

My point is, that instead of working on achieving things on his own and doing it, he relied on a fantasy, like we all often do. If returning to Finland was important to him he should have did it and my wife knows both him and her grandmother had a desire to return.

There's no doubt life gets in the way but we shouldn't let it interfere too much with things that are important to us. It is true that there might not be a tomorrow. I sound a bit flighty but I guess I have learned my lessons the hard way. I'm a bit more impatient these days when it comes to certain things I want. I'm patient enough to do things 'right' though.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Nothing against waiting for retirement but I'm a firm believer that we can't predict what can happen so I'm of the opinion to do things as soon as viable. The philosophy of 'waiting' can lead to 'never'.

To give an example. My wife's grandfather talked of winning the lottery and then returning to Finland 'one day'. He would talk often about it, especially when the family was together. He died of a brain aneurysm at a fairly early age by today's standards.

My point is, that instead of working on achieving things on his own and doing it, he relied on a fantasy, like we all often do. If returning to Finland was important to him he should have did it and my wife knows both him and her grandmother had a desire to return.

There's no doubt life gets in the way but we shouldn't let it interfere too much with things that are important to us. It is true that there might not be a tomorrow. I sound a bit flighty but I guess I have a learned my lessons the hard way. I'm a bit more impatient these days when it comes to certain things I want. I'm patient enough to do things 'right' though.
That makes perfect sense!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You're at work an hour early LaRue? Nasty.

Sahib tried very hard to dissect your local vernacular - a mean feat to be sure. Lets refrain from providing glossaries when encouraging the expansion of his knowledge base. This exacerbates the situation and defeats the point.

We don't have a choice for Sahib but to explain it...unless we can drop a Fire Stick into his cerebrum...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. So there's a meeting at work today, it is expected to hit 90?F in the NYC metro area...and I pulled out my janelle mon?e performer's look - tied included, no blazer.

Yup. All business today. I'll get a few looks in the meeting today for sure.

Posted via Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Morning folks. So there's a meeting at work today, it is expected to hit 90?F in the NYC metro area...and I pulled out my janelle mon?e performer's look - tied included, no blazer.

Yup. All business today. I'll get a few looks in the meeting today for sure.

Posted via Xperia Z3

I'm not a big fan of ties... just saying. I'd rather go for the blazer.

It's quite warm here today and getting warmer tomorrow. Except they're saying thunderstorms in the afternoon.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a big fan of ties... just saying. I'd rather go for the blazer.

It's quite warm here today and getting warmer tomorrow. Except they're saying thunderstorms in the afternoon.

It's too hot today to do that. I could have gone with the sweater vest looks, but remember that I work with young people. So the tie is on for meetings and lunch, but off when clinic starts.

Personally I like ties. I do like wear them as much, but I like ties. I biy yies based on look and feel. Too many of the cheap ties have grevat patrerns but feel like excrement to the touch.

I gave my friend when he came up one of my favorite unworn ties with the small kerchief that goes in the front of the suit. It's a white tie base with black and grey patterns. Of course, it is a silk toe i got a few days ears ago on a killer discount. I've known him for 20 years so I know he'll take great care of it...and look really good wearing it too.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I find the state of Amtrak very interesting since it is a government assisted national railroad that has to make a profit. As I sit here in another delay on NJ transit, I'm painfully reminded of how much of a state of excrement the US rail and transportation system is. And you wonder why Americans like their cars and kvetch about fuel prices...

Posted via Xperia Z3

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I was the first in my family.

That's good that US passports last for 10 years. In some countries they're only 5 years. Which is annoying. Australia is 10.
Children get a passport once every five years. My kids is onto the second one already☺

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

International travel is still not within everyone's reach. For me my travel comes from family being away and work. Also I'm fortunate enough to afford it. I calculated that in the last four years I spent enough on tickets to buy two new cars!

On a separate note I was the first one to get a passport and travel internationally in my family. I did get on a plane the first time when I traveled overseas, until then it was all trains.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I like ties but hate doing the knots! Most of the tie knots I have are permanent, I loosen them enough to remove the tie and then put it back on. These days I rarely wear ties or blazers though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

International travel is still not within everyone's reach..

International travel is more affordable now than it's ever been. I'm not implying that it's simple but if you have a desire to go somewhere you should see about going sooner rather than later because there might not be a later. I know of too many stories of people putting off 'living' until their retirement. Only to retire and be dead two months later....

Or retire and not have the funds to do anything.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

International travel is more affordable now than it's ever been. I'm not implying that it's simple but if you have a desire to go somewhere you should see about going sooner rather than later because there might not be a later. I know of too many stories of people putting off 'living' until their retirement. Only to retire and be dead two months later....

Or retire and not have the funds to do anything.
There are over 7 billion people on the planet and I still think that maybe 20% have the means to travel internationally without worrying about finances. So if 4 out of every 5 individuals can't do it, I would say it is out of reach for a vast majority of people.

Even though international travel has become affordable one ticket would be greater than someone's yearly salary in quite a few countries in the world.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa