WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I just checked Amazon. Based upon the comparisons of the Meizu M1 Note and the Lumia 640, there's no way I'd buy the 640, based upon the weak specs for around the same price for an unlocked dual SIM device. The Meizu M1 Note offers much more bang for the buck.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I wouldn't have either. I'd have gone Chinese - Xiamoi, Meizu - or Zenfone 2 if I were looking for a dual SIM. Therr really is no good WP dual at this point. Blu is trying though...but I'm not sure their offerings are up to snuff.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The Lumia 640 XL uses a Adreno 305 but it is not specified for Lumia 640. For the sake of comparison here we will presume that the Lumia 640 also has the Adreno 305 GPU. The Meizu M1 Note uses a Mali T760 MP2 GPU. I also included the best scores in the categories where I could find head to head data. I still think that the Meizu performs quite admirably.

So my thought process is why can't MSFT make low end / mid grade devices with MTK processors and seriously throw Android under the bus?
And then of course use the Qualcomm processor and/or Intel processors for the higher end devices?

Probably due to the fact that while MSFT has relaxed their hardware requirements, they haven't abolished them. That would mean more work for MSFT to do coding and testing for to provide hardware support.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Probably due to the fact that while MSFT has relaxed their hardware requirements, they haven't abolished them. That would mean more work for MSFT to do coding and testing for to provide hardware support.

I've often wondered how difficult it really is to add another CPU type to an OS. With PC you generally only have two vendors. I know there are custom ones out there as well for unique computing but those are rare.

With mobile there are multiple vendors and I'm not sure how different their systems are. I know the general gist of how CPUs work but no idea how difficult it is for an OS to address them.

From a consumer position I think MS should allow as many options as possible. Though I don't know the practicalities of that option.

Just my two cents.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've often wondered how difficult it really is to add another CPU type to an OS. With PC you generally only have two vendors. I know there are custom ones out there as well for unique computing but those are rare.

With mobile there are multiple vendors and I'm not sure how different their systems are. I know the general gist of how CPUs work but no idea how difficult it is for an OS to address them.

From a consumer position I think MS should allow as many options as possible. Though I don't know the practicalities of that option.

Just my two cents.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

I agree. Why some OEMS like Android is because if they're doing their own chips they may just only need the source code and smaller bits. While MSFT isn't charging for Windows anymore, they still haven't opened it up to customization and may not do so. That means they're on the hook for the additional hardware maintenance.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Nice to be off from work tomorrow. Headed to a project management training that I paid for out of pocket...

Posted via Xperia Z3

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

10136 is out...

Sent by my Honor 6
Any new features, bug fixes, or theme changes? I'll have to wait sometime in August to get Windows 10 due to me going on a month vacation and having no computer access.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Any new features, bug fixes, or theme changes? I'll have to wait sometime in August to get Windows 10 due to me going on a month vacation and having no computer access.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Still installing...

Sent by my Honor 6

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I agree MSFT needs to beef up the specs on their phones. I liked how Nokia Lumia 8 line up was. The 800 and 900 series had the same soc. It would be nice if MSFT did that again. Same soc for 800 and up but differentiat with the camera ( front and back) look, storage.
sent from my rare green linux 830

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I played with a G4 running the G.E. launcher and was very, very impressed. I'd buy a G4, honestly. Just like i would have bought a G3 last year. The black leather back feels great. I'd pair a black moto 360 with a black stitched leather band on it just to look like a boss.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

So I missed the bus by a few seconds :/ I sometimes wish people who get on the bus only to get off 1 or 2 blocks away. It makes the bus stop alot and also doesn't help that the traffic is packed around this time. Oh well ima go eat at a pizza place that makes new York style pizza. I hear people talk about it and it comes close to NYC type pizza

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I agree MSFT needs to beef up the specs on their phones. I liked how Nokia Lumia 8 line up was. The 800 and 900 series had the same soc. It would be nice if MSFT did that again. Same soc for 800 and up but differentiat with the camera ( front and back) look, storage.

It isn't about them beefing up their specs, simply.

Mid range is always the true battleground, populated by the previous year's falgships and carefully constructed current compromises. HTC learned this the hard way - they bailed on the mid range for a while and have only recently produced what some would argue have been good phones the new Desire line, and some great upper mid range phones in the One series (the compromises made there some folks would say aren't flagship grade worthy flaws). Mid range moves sales. Flagships grab headlines and entry level move units in volume - money is made in the mid range game.

MSFT needs to look at improving their mid range offerings. I like the 640, but they need to increase the storage and offer better chip performance. I think 99 was alluding to this earlier. I'm curious to see the loose partnership between Huawei and MSFT bear some fruit with how WP10 runs on custom SoC...if successful, roping in MediaTek is a good idea.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I do like the following combinations when it comes to Android Wear and materials.

Moto X 2014 (black leather) + Moto 360 (black stainless + black leather)
LG G4 (black leather) + Moto 360 (black stainless + black leather)
Rose Gold HTC M9 + Rose Gold Zenwatch
Green Silver Z3 + Stainless Steel Silver Moto 360 with Silver links/a Silver G Watch Urbane with Silver links/Zenwatch with Silver links

My point: while MSFT is doing the band, which makes sense and is good, I'd love to see then get into the watch game too. Maybe do a $100 difference (Band @ $175 and Watch @ $275), giving the watch cross platform support, and some looks and a speaker.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I bet MSFT could make a good looking watch. A stainless steel watch, have it work without charging the battery everyday and give it color options and it could be awesome 😁

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I bet MSFT could make a good looking watch. A stainless steel watch, have it work without charging the battery everyday and give it color options and it could be awesome 😁

I think wearables are still in that early stage where people are skeptical and there is still a need to use them. My guess is cross platform may be one of the best ways to go. The MSFT band is one of the few wearables that works on all 3 major platforms. This is why Google's efforts to get Android Wear to work on iOS is important. Android Wear has 3 of the best 4 Smartwatch designs from OEMs right now - ZenWatch, Moto 360 G Watch R/Urbane. Hell, the Song Smartwatch 3 with metal links looks nice. The Apple Watch is pretty, make no mistakes, but there is a market for Apple users who cannot afford an Apple Watch but want a touch screen Smartwatch.

I get that UI wise, there would be an adjustment, but if MSFT refines the OS on the band, they would have a shot...assuming they price it right (less than the Apple Watch). Especially if they can get Cortana on iOS and Android and hook into capable voice searches and voice replies...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I think wearables are still in that early stage where people are skeptical and there is still a need to use them. My guess is cross platform may be one of the best ways to go. The MSFT band is one of the few wearables that works on all 3 major platforms. This is why Google's efforts to get Android Wear to work on iOS is important. Android Wear has 3 of the best 4 Smartwatch designs from OEMs right now - ZenWatch, Moto 360 G Watch R/Urbane. Hell, the Song Smartwatch 3 with metal links looks nice. The Apple Watch is pretty, make no mistakes, but there is a market for Apple users who cannot afford an Apple Watch but want a touch screen Smartwatch.

I get that UI wise, there would be an adjustment, but if MSFT refines the OS on the band, they would have a shot...assuming they price it right (less than the Apple Watch). Especially if they can get Cortana on iOS and Android and hook into capable voice searches and voice replies...

Maybe it'll happen. Seeing as msft doing everything possible to get as many users in their platform a smartwatch could be the next thing

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Tapatalk universal app don't work on build 10136 so I'm back to the old one.

My new toy arrived...
e8b9a099f550b5fccaf06c0c36794a83.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99