WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It is just sad. So I walked into the AT&T store yesterday, played with a G Watch R and Urbane. Had a chill convo with the rep who has a Samsung Galaxy phone and a G Watch R. He was impressed by the SWR50, especially the always on display and how I popped the core out. Got a good vibe there and would have done some business with him.

Contrast that with today when I popped into a T-Mo's store to pay a bill for my old lady. Saw tons of people in this one with moto 360s. If Sony doesn't put the adapter and stainless steel band separate at a decent rate, I may grab a 360 via swappa to complement my Z3. So the rep is pushing all the promotions (and I'm zoning her out). I'm talking to an older white guy who has a 360 on...and there is no interest in my SWR50.

There were many takeways from this experience, most of them not good.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Some of the phone store reps remind me of Jack Black's character in the movie "High Fidelity". https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Fidelity_(film)

I just watched it on Netflix the other day.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

I get trying to make a sale, cuz you're trying to do your job. But I don't like being pushed like I'm some sap...especially when I start to speak and you can tell I know my tech.

I'm not someone's meal ticket.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

So I found this on a newspaper ( yes when I have time I read though it 😁)
sent from my rare green linux 830

Attachments

• WP_20150519_08_58_39_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150519_08_58_39_Pro.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know that folks have heard me say this before, but I'm very satisfied with the Z3 and the Z3 tablet Compact. I also am satisfied with the Smartwatch 3, even though the design of the Moto 360 is so sexy. I'm tempted to get a 360 if I need that Sony is still dragging its *** in terms of launching the stainless steel band and the adapter separately. At this point I won't pay more than $150 for a 360 because I won't wear it as much...which is why I prefer to buy the accessories for the Smartwatch 3.

Call me boring but as much as I like the fact that the G Watch R (not a fan of the Urbane's looks) and 360 looks great as round watches, I feel like the Wear OS still looks better on a square face.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I know that folks have heard me say this before, but I'm very satisfied with the Z3 and the Z3 tablet Compact. I also am satisfied with the Smartwatch 3, even though the design of the Moto 360 is so sexy. I'm tempted to get a 360 if I need that Sony is still dragging its *** in terms of launching the stainless steel band and the adapter separately. At this point I won't pay more than $150 for a 360 because I won't wear it as much...which is why I prefer to buy the accessories for the Smartwatch 3.

Call me boring but as much as I like the fact that the G Watch R (not a fan of the Urbane's looks) and 360 looks great as round watches, I feel like the Wear OS still looks better on a square face.

How do you feel about longterm support by Sony for its products? My concern with Sony smartwatches is related to longterm support and updates, since anything not called PlayStation is struggling.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about longterm support by Sony for its products? My concern with Sony smartwatches is related to longterm support and updates, since anything not called PlayStation is struggling.

Sony taking Android Wear was smart for the Smartwatch 3. It was one of the first ones to get the 5.1.1 update, after the G Watch, G Watch R and Zenwatch. Since owning the Z Ultra, Sony has done a nice job updating their phones...when on KitKat there was a stretch my Z Ultra (a non GPE model) had gotten updates before the N5. Sony has been a little slower with the 5.0 updates, but their 5.0.2 build which I'm running on the Z3 tablet Compact has been bug free for me. Sony even updated their Smartwatch 2 recently.

Sony's issue is similar to HTC in some sense (IMO)...the 6 month design updates kill value for their phones and they charge Apple is prices for their stuffs. Products are well made, but then you have things like the 8GB M Aqua which makes no sense. I'd like to see them stick to the follow:

1 yearly flagship, 1 flagship mini, 1 mid range, 1 entry level, one 8" tab and 10"+ tab. They could still have their every six months cycle, but do it this way:

Start of the year: 1 yearly flagship + 10" tab + entry level model
Late summer: flagship mini + 8" tab + mid range model

That way they can use the mini line to test out a few things they want to put in the follow year's flagship. They could put the intermezzo chipsets in the mini (like the 800, 805, 808) and leave the flagship level chips like the 801, 810 for the start of the year flagship. It gives them a smaller device pool to support and with standard chassis, means quicker update times.

I think they'll be around in mobile a little longer, so support for their high end lines should still be good.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Sony taking Android Wear was smart for the Smartwatch 3. It was one of the first ones to get the 5.1.1 update, after the G Watch, G Watch R and Zenwatch. Since owning the Z Ultra, Sony has done a nice job updating their phones...when on KitKat there was a stretch my Z Ultra (a non GPE model) had gotten updates before the N5. Sony has been a little slower with the 5.0 updates, but their 5.0.2 build which I'm running on the Z3 tablet Compact has been bug free for me. Sony even updated their Smartwatch 2 recently.

Sony's issue is similar to HTC in some sense (IMO)...the 6 month design updates kill value for their phones and they charge Apple is prices for their stuffs. Products are well made, but then you have things like the 8GB M Aqua which makes no sense. I'd like to see them stick to the follow:

1 yearly flagship, 1 flagship mini, 1 mid range, 1 entry level, one 8" tab and 10"+ tab. They could still have their every six months cycle, but do it this way:

Start of the year: 1 yearly flagship + 10" tab and in the fall the flagship mini + 8" tab. That way they can use the mini line to test out a few things they want to put in the follow year's flagship. They could put the intermezzo chipsets in the mini (like the 800, 805, 808) and leave the flagship level chips like the 801, 810 for the start of the year flagship.

I think they'll be around in mobile a little longer, so support for their high end lines should still be good.

That's good to know the smartwatches are being updated.

Sony smartphones are out of the picture for me, since AT&T doesn't sell any.

How well do Sony watches work with Android devices from other companies?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think it is a fine line to walk for an OEM when it comes to consolidating and expanding their lineup. You can argue that with the Chinese OEMs leveraging their own custom chips and MediaTek's offerings to provide high quality on the cheap, the mid range space is becoming really vicious.

If I were in the phone business, I'd have the following six chassis:

1) a true flagship at 5.5"
2) a flagship mini at 4.7" aimed at the mid range
3) an entry-level at 4"
4) small tablet screen at 8"
5) a flagship tablet screen at 12"
6) a lower mid range at 5"

My real money makers would be #2, 3, 4 and 6...my tech showcases would be #1 and 5.

I'd push good battery life, good cameras and some unique feature to all...and quick updates.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I would look at the Zenwatch if I were to try a smartwatch which currently is not on my radar.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's good to know the smartwatches are being updated.

Sony smartphones are out of the picture for me, since AT&T doesn't sell any.

How well do Sony watches work with Android devices from other companies?

They work just fine. I can pair my Smartwatch 3 with my M7 and not worry. People have used their Smartwatch 2 with other non Sony models comfortably too.

The biggest problem with Sony is they don't market well, just like HTC. The Z3 is a very good phone, but in the US it was thrown on t-mo and VZW, and never marketed. The Z3C is a killer phone in its segment but no marketing again. I remember AT&T marketed the Xperia Ion and T a little bit, but those didn't have the improved combo of hardware and software that Sony ushered in with the Z line. What kills them in the press is the 6 month product cycle, which they could do, but turn it into two lines...the full size flagship and the minis and make sure that the minis don't kill the flagship by targeting to those who like smaller phones but not be cheap with specs.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I would look at the Zenwatch if I were to try a smartwatch which currently is not on my radar.

From a design perspective, I don't blame you...that's the best looking square watch out there...if you don't like round watches.

Have wanted to see one in person but the Best Buys I've gone to don't have working models. Still think the Sony has the better screen, but the Zenwatch looks nicer even when you dress up the Sony with the Steel band.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sony and Apple both fail my personal performance to price ratio metric, ergo I steer clear of those two brands.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If I were asked to recommend a Gen 1 Android Wear, I'd suggest the best are the Moto 360, G Watch R, Zenwatch and Sony Smartwatch 3. Best overall is the G Watch R, as it has fewer compromises (the biggest con is the size) than the other 3. If you want pure style overall, Moto 360. If you want traditional style, Zenwatch. If you want practical usage, Sony. I almost bought a G Watch R myself too...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sony and Apple both fall my personal performance to price ratio metric, ergo I steer clear of those two brands.

Cannot disagree there. To me, it is easier for Sony to fix theirs than Apple because Apple has rented a certain kind space in some folks where they won't try anything else. Sony needs to drop the price some and tighten up the flaws here and there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro