WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

My mini review of the Meizu M1 Note after using it as a daily driver for 11 days. For the price, this phone cannot be beat.
It retails for $160 in India and a bit less in China.

Pros
Fast, and fluid Flyme OS. It is an iOS clone and a decent one at that. Visually it is better than Xiaomi MiUI but functionally the Xiaomi is better.
Camera is stellar
Screen is amazing
Build quality, feel in hand and ergonomics are great

Cons
Forked Android - has some issues, specific details to follow. Main gripe is with the keyboard selection.
GPS is wonky, cannot get Google Maps to work consistently on this phone as it loses GPS signal all the time.
Data toggling is a bit slow and so if Wi-Fi to data toggling as well
Calls don't always go through at first try. Have to dial a second time to get a clean connection. This is a radio issue and has been discussed on a couple of other reviews as well.
Splits messages from iPhones into two categories - one sent from the Meizu and one received from the iPhone, which is a bit annoying.

Details on software quibbles:
When using a 3rd party keyboard (like Google Keyboard), on a non Meizu app, like Hangouts for instance, that trying to fix a word or move the cursor simply doesn’t work. You need to put the keyboard away to move the cursor, and it has something to do with the built-in system keyboard on the phone. I did not want to root the phone and get rid of the stock keyboard. Despite force stopping the default keyboard this issue persists and also every time a 3rd party keyboard is uses a notification about selecting a input method pops up. This is a big bug and needs to be fixed in a future update for sure.

The way volume is controlled on the phone is quite odd. The volume rockers adjust media volume at all times no matter what you’re doing, so adjusting the volume is done only by going into settings. This is quite annoying to say the least.

In settings you can only view items in portrait mode and cannot get more details like Screen On Time gets cut off after x hours and....so now way to know full SOT information.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Welcome! I'm glad you've joined us here.

Have you tried the iPhone 6+? My cousin has it, and it's huge.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Yeah, Micah? Why a 6 and not a 6+? Clearly, as a former 1520 user the size of the phone wouldn't bother you. I hope Bendgate didn't influence your choice...

Just Another (Moto X 2014) Pure (Edition) Post!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I see Superboy Micah has decided to visit. How goes it in iPhone land? Still haven't found an HTC to cure your lumia fix yet?

Posted via the One (M7)

LOL you can just call me Micah ;)
And I actually had to own an M8 Windows while I was getting the 1520 fixed...it wasn't an awful experience by any means but i still find the M8 windows an inferior device to lumias and nothing special :D

Welcome! I'm glad you've joined us here.

Have you tried the iPhone 6+? My cousin has it, and it's huge.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

I had the 6+ when they first came out. I had thought of leaving Windows Phone then because i was a bit meh towards it(bored with it)...but within 2-3 days i came back to my 1520.

Mind you i have a 1520 and have been using it since Launch day, so a 6+ is not big at all.

I am back on the iPhone 6 and it is so tiny compared to my 1520 and my 640 XL but at the same time...it is small yet it fits into my hand perfectly as well. It's mainly reading things on it is a bit crazy to me as i am used to having a 6 inch or now a 5.7 inch screen to read on lol.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My mini review of the Meizu M1 Note after using it as a daily driver for 11 days. For the price, this phone cannot be beat.
It retails for $160 in India and a bit less in China.

Pros
Fast, and fluid Flyme OS. It is an iOS clone and a decent one at that. Visually it is better than Xiaomi MiUI but functionally the Xiaomi is better.
Camera is stellar
Screen is amazing
Build quality, feel in hand and ergonomics are great

Cons
Forked Android - has some issues, specific details to follow. Main gripe is with the keyboard selection.
GPS is wonky, cannot get Google Maps to work consistently on this phone as it loses GPS signal all the time.
Data toggling is a bit slow and so if Wi-Fi to data toggling as well
Calls don't always go through at first try. Have to dial a second time to get a clean connection. This is a radio issue and has been discussed on a couple of other reviews as well.
Splits messages from iPhones into two categories - one sent from the Meizu and one received from the iPhone, which is a bit annoying.

Details on software quibbles:
When using a 3rd party keyboard (like Google Keyboard), on a non Meizu app, like Hangouts for instance, that trying to fix a word or move the cursor simply doesn?t work. You need to put the keyboard away to move the cursor, and it has something to do with the built-in system keyboard on the phone. I did not want to root the phone and get rid of the stock keyboard. Despite force stopping the default keyboard this issue persists and also every time a 3rd party keyboard is uses a notification about selecting a input method pops up. This is a big bug and needs to be fixed in a future update for sure.

The way volume is controlled on the phone is quite odd. The volume rockers adjust media volume at all times no matter what you?re doing, so adjusting the volume is done only by going into settings. This is quite annoying to say the least.

In settings you can only view items in portrait mode and cannot get more details like Screen On Time gets cut off after x hours and....so now way to know full SOT information.

Nice write up. For the record, I'd have rooted that thing already just for the keyboard issue and to flash better radios, assuming the dev support was there (which it might be, as I haven't checked it out for this model).

All in all, sounds par the course for the Chinese OEMs these days...absolutely destroying the big boys in the mid range with great hardware to price ratio. Curious to see how the successor shapes out...thought I read something that the price may go up slight with its successor...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

LOL you can just call me Micah ;)
And I actually had to own an M8 Windows while I was getting the 1520 fixed...it wasn't an awful experience by any means but i still find the M8 windows an inferior device to lumias and nothing special :D

I had the 6+ when they first came out. I had thought of leaving Windows Phone then because i was a bit meh towards it(bored with it)...but within 2-3 days i came back to my 1520.

Mind you i have a 1520 and have been using it since Launch day, so a 6+ is not big at all.

I am back on the iPhone 6 and it is so tiny compared to my 1520 and my 640 XL but at the same time...it is small yet it fits into my hand perfectly as well. It's mainly reading things on it is a bit crazy to me as i am used to having a 6 inch or now a 5.7 inch screen to read on lol.

Lol.

I can relate to that eye adjusent thing. It was murder going from a Z Ultra to a 1520 to a 925 when I had all three of those at one time. Because my Moto X, 930 and Z3 have all the same sizes, reading is easy. Plus, my eyes have adjusted to my Z3 tablet compact too, so going from that screen to my phones have gotten much easier to do.

While Apple has hit it right screen size wise with the 6, phone is just too big for that sized screen.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

In that case, you need to change your signature....

And done :p
Yeah, Micah? Why a 6 and not a 6+? Clearly, as a former 1520 user the size of the phone wouldn't bother you. I hope Bendgate didn't influence your choice...

Oh no bendgate had no factor in it...I simply won a Free iPhone 6 from T-Mobile lol.

They were giving away 500 phones and I had the choice of a Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Note 5, LG G4, and iPhone 6....
I refuse to use Android even if it was free

So I chose the iPhone 6.

I would've loved if they offered the Lumia 640(since it is new) even though I have the 640 XL and until recently 1520 and I might have even settled with a free M8 windows again....but alas a windows phone wasn't offered so I chose the iPhone. Unfortunately it wasn't the 6 plus and I only got the 16 GB version...but for free, I cant be too choosy or complain haha

I see it this way....iPhones have high resell value so in a few months when the new lumia out, it'll pay for my new lumia :D

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I must say, I'm looking forward to seeing how Android 5.1 runs on the newer flagships. It runs great on the Moto X. I'd swap my X out for a Moto Maxx but they're too overpriced and hard to find.

Looking g forward to the comparison between Android M, the latest iOS and Windows 10 in the fall for sure...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh no bendgate had no factor in it...I simply won a Free iPhone 6 from T-Mobile lol.

They were giving away 500 phones and I had the choice of a Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, Note 5, LG G4, and iPhone 6....

So I chose the iPhone 6.

I would've loved if they offered the Lumia 640(since it is new) even though I have the 640 XL and until recently 1520 and I might have even settled with a free M8 windows again....but alas a windows phone wasn't offered so I chose the iPhone. Unfortunately it wasn't the 6 plus and I only got the 16 GB version...but for free, I cant be too choosy or complain haha

I see it this way....iPhones have high resell value so in a few months when the new lumia out, it'll pay for my new lumia :D

Makes sense - cannot beat free in that situation. Sad but true at the high resell rate of iPhones. As popular as Samsung is, their resell rates aren't great.

I see your love for Android is still in tact...I'm trying to figure out what you love to knock down a peg or two more...HTC or Android?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Nice write up. For the record, I'd have rooted that thing already just for the keyboard issue and to flash better radios, assuming the dev support was there (which it might be, as I haven't checked it out for this model).

All in all, sounds par the course for the Chinese OEMs these days...absolutely destroying the big boys in the mid range with great hardware to price ratio. Curious to see how the successor shapes out...thought I read something that the price may go up slight with its successor...

M2 Note is cheaper than M1 Note so price went down istead of up.
Dev support is negligible because Aliyun OS locks down the bootloader. Alibaba owns Meizu and they are busy dictating terms here.
Phone is rooted but since there is no dev support I don't want to delete the stock keyboard and then find out if the phone gets bricked because of that particular app missing from the device.....ergo....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Makes sense - cannot beat free in that situation. Sad but true at the high resell rate of iPhones. As popular as Samsung is, their resell rates aren't great.

I see your love for Android is still in tact...I'm trying to figure out what you love to knock down a peg or two more...HTC or Android?

Well contrary to popular belief on Windows Central, I don't hate HTC lol.

Fun Fact: Prior to my love for windows phone, I was an Android ******....and out of the 40 or so android phones I owned, most were HTC :D

HTC Droid Eris, Evo, Droid Incredible, Sensaiton, One X, and various other models I wont recall...My original Windows Phone was an 8x...which I think is beautiful.

So I love HTC I just expect more than this subpar mess they call the m8 and M9....and I think they are inferior to Lumias :D
There's a chance I could own an HTC windows phone as my main device over a Lumia....However, I cant see myself ever using another android phone again.

So Android it is :D

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

These are the triumvirate I use now...with all due respect to the M7, the Moto X knocked it off my list.

Still, the M7 takes decent shots (lighting wasn't so great) and is indicative as to the frustrating slope HTC finds itself on...

Posted via the One (M7)
I like the path you're taking. Keep it coming.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Downloading the current 530 firmware for rollback to 8.1, as I'm about to put 10 Insider Preview on this Lumia to see how well the current build work with 512MB devices.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
M2 Note is cheaper than M1 Note so price went down istead of up.
Dev support is negligible because Aliyun OS locks down the bootloader. Alibaba owns Meizu and they are busy dictating terms here.
Phone is rooted but since there is no dev support I don't want to delete the stock keyboard and then find out if the phone gets bricked because of that particular app missing from the device.....ergo....

Makes sense. Still, I think the big Chinese push into India should cause dev support for some of these models to really pick up. I know that some of the US and European buyers won't touch them out of unfounded skepticism, but these are quality products at their price ranges...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Fun Fact: Prior to my love for windows phone, I was an Android ******....and out of the 40 or so android phones I owned, most were HTC :D

HTC Droid Eris, Evo, Droid Incredible, Sensaiton, One X, and various other models I wont recall...My original Windows Phone was an 8x...which I think is beautiful.

So I love HTC I just expect more than this subpar mess they call the m8 and M9....and I think they are inferior to Lumias :D
There's a chance I could own an HTC windows phone as my main device over a Lumia....However, I cant see myself ever using another android phone again.

We can agree that the 8X was such a gorgeous device. I still say that the 925 and the 8X are the best designed phones of the WP area (from 7-8.1). I'd still own one if it wasn't just VZW with the Qi charging...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So I chose the iPhone 6.

My WP and Android adventures are much easier to handle because of low prices of these devices. I would be bankrupt if I tried this with iOS devices:)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

8X was really nice. My wife loved it, until I upgraded her to a Lumia 925....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb