WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

My car was rammed by a cab, the cost is total repair cost including a new door. It's covered by insurance so it's all good.

Posted via Tapatalk Classic on my 636 build 10166

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I hope you get everything sorted with your car also.

Sigh...

Shall I list?

• Fixed oil leaks (paid by us)
  • replaced vacuum pump (partially covered by warranty)
  • now replacing crank case valve (paid by us)
  • need to replace the FRM module (controls lights, windows and some other things) trying to get warranty to pay for some of it
  • we think we might have gotten bumped by 4X4 in a parking garage as our front bumper is a bit messed up. Needs replacing.
We were going to a mechanic for the first bit but still suffered blue smoke coming out of the exhaust so took it to BMW instead.

The bumper is not a big deal but it's not cheap. We'll get that sorted along with some other minor body work at the same time.

So, it's been fun.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Sigh...

Shall I list?

• Fixed oil leaks (paid by us)
  • replaced vacuum pump (partially covered by warranty)
  • now replacing crank case valve (paid by us)
  • need to replace the FRM module (controls lights, windows and some other things) trying to get warranty to pay for some of it
  • we think we might have gotten bumped by 4X4 in a parking garage as our front bumper is a bit messed up. Needs replacing.
We were going to a mechanic for the first bit but still suffered blue smoke coming out of the exhaust so took it to BMW instead.

The bumper is not a big deal but it's not cheap. We'll get that sorted along with some other minor body work at the same time.

So, it's been fun.

:unhappy: That's certainly not fun.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The worst part was not being able to drive anywhere because we kept losing oil. Or driving somewhere and worrying about the oil. Either or.

I'm hoping this is the end of the oil troubles.

Oil leak problem is not fun...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oil leak problem is not fun...

Burning oil is worse! Puffing out blue smoke clouds out the exhaust is slightly embarrassing. Also burning or having it run through the exhaust system is stressful because if you don't have oil with you, you get a warning and then you're looking for the nearest petrol station hoping they have the oil you need!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I hope the problems get sorted out soon...
Posted via Tapatalk Classic on my 636 build 10166

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Burning oil is worse! Puffing out blue smoke clouds out the exhaust is slightly embarrassing. Also burning or having it run through the exhaust system is stressful because if you don't have oil with you, you get a warning and then you're looking for the nearest petrol station hoping they have the oil you need!

I think this is the last thing that needs fixing but I could be wrong...
I hope so! Burning oil tends to be a sure sign that the engine is on its way out. I hope that problem has been sorted.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I hope so! Burning oil tends to be a sure sign that the engine is on its way out. I hope that problem has been sorted.

I've done quite a bit of research on this issue. Yes the oil leaks were definitely a problem but the part that's getting replaced now by BMW is supposedly a 'usual' suspect for smoke coming out of the exhaust and loss of oil.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Yup, on a piston engine it's a sign that the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber.

But check this out: on a rotary engine, like the one in my Mazda RX8, burning oil is normal. It's designed to burn oil from the factory. In other words, a brand new rotary engine car burns oil right off the showroom floor by design. I usually burn through a quart of oil a month.. Fun Fun!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yup, on a piston engine it's a sign that the piston rings are leaking oil into the combustion chamber.

But check this out: on a rotary engine, like the one in my Mazda RX8, burning oil is normal. It's designed to burn oil from the factory. In other words, a brand new rotary engine car burns oil right off the showroom floor by design. I usually burn through a quart of oil a month.. Fun Fun!

True. I read about both of those. We were considering a RX8 at one point.

In this case the puff a smoke would only come out after the car was idle for a period of time. This is an indication that the crankcase valve (CCV) system is faulty. BMW did a proper diagnosis on it and there are many forums indicating the same thing so I'm inclined to agree with them. As long as it's fixed I'm happy.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. I'm offline most of the day. Got some follow-ups with patients, potentially a student shadowing me and a group from a community partner coming in for a tour of the work site.

Posted via Xperia Z3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786