WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

As I expected, the antennas are not connected. I could have fixed it myself but I don't want to open it and void further warranty claims.

So yes, it was finally fixed and technician has no idea why the Wi-Fi board wires are left unconnected.

I could think the unit is refurbished but I'd like to think it's an assembly line issue, which sucks for Dell.

Glad it got sorted out. Sounds like a typical Dell experience...when the machine finally works, it works really well...but when something goes wrong, it is an asspain to fix.

Posted via Xperia Z3

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Glad it got sorted out. Sounds like a typical Dell experience...when the machine finally works, it works really well...but when something goes wrong, it is an asspain to fix.

Posted via Xperia Z3

Hopefully after this, it's all positive moving forward.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I really like Sony's Xperia devices. It's saddening what they're doing with them right now. Incremental upgrades that don't fix any problems and just add new ones. I hope the Z5 is an improvement.

Truth be told, HTC and Sony are facing similar set of problems. As a Z3 + Z3 Tablet Compact owner, the hardware is good enough. The problems both companies share in common are:

1) Poor marketing strategies

2) Too many offerings. Moto isn't rolling in the cash but they've realized it is better just to have a smaller lineup, put some of that other cash into something unique like customizations.

3) Improve after care sales service. This, sadly, inlcudes putting out faster updates, as well as honoring warranties and better access to accessories. The regulars here know I knock Sony all the time for this. Their accessories are overpriced and hard to get. WTF?

4) Better overall strategy, which includes pricing. Sony cannot do this every six months crap in their current setup as it devalues their phones quicker...and 99 will tell you that brand name is everything in Android in terms of resale value. HTC cannot have five million versions of the same phone either.

Folks, there is no hero phone. This statement applies to WP as well. So if MSFT is thinking people are sitting on their hands and knees praying for their Talkman and Cityman phones to buy them at any price, they're crazy.

If it were up to me, I'd tell Sony and HTC to streamline their line up.

Sony can get away with:

1) a good entry level,
2) a big screen mid range,
3) a Compact flagship in the upper midrange slot
4) a true flagship
5) a Compact tablet and
6) a full size tablet
7) an Android Wear device

That's 7 devices to support annually and keep it like that...and pump money into after care and software updates.

MSFT can get away with:

1) entry level
2) mid range
3) flagship
4) bigger screen flagship
5) Surface
6) Surface Pro

HTC:

1) entry level
2) Desire series for the mid range
3) One series or One series successor

HTC could get away with maybe 5 devices. The biggest threat these guys don't understand is from the Chinese OEMs like ZTE, Xioami, Huawei, etc. While no one is making money in Android - not even Samsung - the Chinese are building a good base so that when they iron out their software issues, traditional powers are in for a world of hurt....

But hey, I'm an armchair CEO so WTF do I know...

Posted via Xperia Z3

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Truth be told, HTC and Sony are facing similar set of problems. As a Z3 + Z3 Tablet Compact owner, the hardware is good enough. The problems both companies share in common are:

1) Poor marketing strategies

2) Too many offerings. Moto isn't rolling in the cash but they've realized it is better just to have a smaller lineup, put some of that other cash into something unique like customizations.

3) Improve after care sales service. This, sadly, inlcudes putting out faster updates, as well as honoring warranties and better access to accessories. The regulars here know I knock Sony all the time for this. Their accessories are overpriced and hard to get. WTF?

4) Better overall strategy, which includes pricing. Sony cannot do this every six months crap in their current setup as it devalues their phones quicker...and 99 will tell you that brand name is everything in Android in terms of resale value. HTC cannot have five million versions of the same phone either.

Folks, there is no hero phone. This statement applies to WP as well. So if MSFT is thinking people are sitting on their hands and knees praying for their Talkman and Cityman phones to buy them at any price, they're crazy.

If it were up to me, I'd tell Sony and HTC to streamline their line up.

Sony can get away with:

1) a good entry level,
2) a big screen mid range,
3) a Compact flagship in the upper midrange slot
4) a true flagship
5) a Compact tablet and
6) a full size tablet
7) an Android Wear device

That's 7 devices to support annually and keep it like that...and pump money into after care and software updates.

MSFT can get away with:

1) entry level
2) mid range
3) flagship
4) bigger screen flagship
5) Surface
6) Surface Pro

HTC:

1) entry level
2) Desire series for the mid range
3) One series or One series successor

HTC could get away with maybe 5 devices. The biggest threat these guys don't understand is from the Chinese OEMs like ZTE, Xioami, Huawei, etc. While no one is making money in Android - not even Samsung - the Chinese are building a good base so that when they iron out their software issues, traditional powers are in for a world of hurt....

But hey, I'm an armchair CEO so WTF do I know...

Posted via Xperia Z3
You said it. I don't really have anything to add other than to emphasize the worst mistake Sony made was releasing a new flagship every six months that brought nothing new to the table but cost a whole lot more than its predecessors.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

LOL! I was typing quickly.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

Typing quickly while on vacation? Maybe you were snaeking a peek at the thread while the wife wasn't looking and didn't want to get caught red handed...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

You said it. I don't really have anything to add other than to emphasize the worst mistake Sony made was releasing a new flagship every six months that brought nothing new to the table but cost a whole lot more than its predecessors.

I've mentioned it on the thread, but if I were me at Sony I'd split their lineup in two.

In the first half of the year I'd launch the flagship and the 10" tablet. In the second half of the year I'd launch the Compact flagship and the compact tablet. And in the dead period I'd launch the entry level and the big screen mid range at a small announcement. Updating each line annually still allows them to seemingly always launch something new to generate buzz, but not be stepping on the hardware as much. They can test a new wrinkle or two in the Compact line and put the refined version in the flagship line next year, for example.

Posted via Xperia Z3

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I've mentioned it on the thread, but if I were me at Sony I'd split their lineup in two.

In the first half of the year I'd launch the flagship and the 10" tablet. In the second half of the year I'd launch the Compact flagship and the compact tablet. And in the dead period I'd launch the entry level and the big screen mid range at a small announcement. Updating each line annually still allows them to seemingly always launch something new to generate buzz, but not be stepping on the hardware as much. They can test a new wrinkle or two in the Compact line and put the refined version in the flagship line next year, for example.

Posted via Xperia Z3

Yup and avoid the Snapdragon 810 debacle that plagued so many devices this year...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yup and avoid the Snapdragon 810 debacle that plagued so many devices this year...

They could put the intermezzo chips in the Compact model (808/805) and the flagship chips in the flagship...that way, if Qualcomm's chip sucks like the 810 did, it doesn't destroy their whole lineup for the year.

Posted via Xperia Z3

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Well I went on a mini shopping spree....
I now have a Lumia 635 (that needs a new board), Lumia 640 (fully unlocked thank you AT&T), Lumia 735 (Factory unlocked, there is a God!) and a Lumia 925 (T-mobile locked but hopefully not for long). Now need to figure out what to keep and what to pass along to some other family members...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

On a side bit of news both my laptops now have Windows 10 update downloaded. I am in the process of updating my laptop. Dare not touch the other one just yet:)

Oh and I am two minded about switching the Acer W4 over to Win10...

I will post some pics on Monday with all the toys...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well I went on a mini shopping spree....
I now have a Lumia 635 (that needs a new board), Lumia 640 (fully unlocked thank you AT&T), Lumia 735 (Factory unlocked, there is a God!) and a Lumia 925 (T-mobile locked but hopefully not for long). Now need to figure out what to keep and what to pass along to some other family members...

Sell! Sell! Sell!

Oh, did I forgot to mention that you should sell some of that stuff?

Posted via Xperia Z3

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Posted via Xperia Z3
In a perfect world...Sony would do that.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The good thing about nice sunny days in Finland, BBQs. The bad thing about sunny days in Finland, BBQs.

85c18fe14b145325a23bbbf904563cba.jpg

Ignorance, there is a cure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss