WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

It's been some time since I saw the inside of a computer. :p

What's the upgrade?

Well, she has a Dell that is slow as molasses while running XP and her laptop runs a bad copy of windows 7. So I talked her into spending $350 (including the copy of Windows) for a barebine kit.

I was trying to recycle her monitor and other peripherals, but I rant into a roadblock. When I connect everything up, the optical drive doesn't work (not opening at all). When I connect both the primary and secondary power supplies, the power button at the front of the PC, turns on but doesn't turn it off. When I connect in both the system and cpu fans, the CPU fan doesn't work.Whenever I connect the monitor, it is still in power saving mode.

I really feel like I'm just not doing something really obvious. Tried reading the manual - no help. Been looking online for some guidance, no luck so far.

Thoughts?

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Well, she has a Dell that is slow as molasses while running XP and her laptop runs a bad copy of windows 7. So I talked her into spending $350 (including the copy of Windows) for a barebine kit.

I was trying to recycle her monitor and other peripherals, but I rant into a roadblock. When I connect everything up, the optical drive doesn't work (not opening at all). When I connect both the primary and secondary power supplies, the power button at the front of the PC, turns on but doesn't turn it off. When I connect in both the system and cpu fans, the CPU fan doesn't work.Whenever I connect the monitor, it is still in power saving mode.

I really feel like I'm just not doing something really obvious. Tried reading the manual - no help. Been looking online for some guidance, no luck so far.

Thoughts?

are all the font panel headers connected properly?
panelconnected.jpg
( note this just a picture to show what front panel headers I'm talking about)
are the ram dims compatible with the MOBO? have you tired installing one at a time to see if its the ram stick. that could cause your computer to not turn on ( nvm its only one dim)
is the CPU seated properly?
did you accidently connect the 8 pin graphics card connecter to the CPU power slot? It happened to me twice since the look identical in my rig.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

My limited motherboard experience with Asus, ASrock, and a few others I don't remember, doesn't have the power off issue. That's frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
are all the font panel headers connected properly? http://duhvoodooman.com/mitchedo/dell/panelconnected.jpg ( note this just a picture to show what front panel headers I'm talking about)
are the ram dims compatible with the MOBO? have you tired installing one at a time to see if its the ram stick. that could cause your computer to not turn on
is the CPU seated properly?
did you accidently connect the 8 pin graphics card connecter to the CPU power slot? It happened to me twice since the look identical in my rig.

Front panels connected properly.
CPU appears seated oarperly...heatsink installed over it.
Only 1stick of RAM came...see the link above I posted with the kit.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The power switch is mechanical and is toggled by the bios and I'd look at the power management settings. Try suspend to RAM disabled.

I'd also look at the display power management as that may be causing the other issue.

Disconnect it from LAN as maybe, just maybe, wake on LAN is enabled.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The power switch is mechanical and is toggled by the bios and I'd look at the power management settings. Try suspend to RAM disabled.

I'd also look at the display power management as that may be causing the other issue.

OK. Will try these in a few hours. About to get some sleep.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If folks have other suggestions, just post them and I'll follow up in a few hours. Thanks again for everyone's help so far.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

When I connect both the primary and secondary power supplies, the power button at the front of the PC, turns on but doesn't turn it off. When I connect in both the system and cpu fans, the CPU fan doesn't work.Whenever I connect the monitor, it is still in power saving mode.

how would he get to the bios if the screen wont turn on o.o?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

When I connect both the primary and secondary power supplies, the power button at the front of the PC, turns on but doesn't turn it off. When I connect in both the system and cpu fans, the CPU fan doesn't work.Whenever I connect the monitor, it is still in power saving mode.

how would he get to the bios if the screen wont turn on o.o?

Power on with a primary power supply, motherboard only, minimal memory. Don't know how many banks he purchased.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh, and for good measure, the optical drive doesn't open or close when I've turned on the unit.

I think I'm not connecting something right here. Anyways, I'm going to sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett