WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You won't get any. MSFT bought the "best game in town", and closed them before purchasing so much that there's no money in there for other OEMs.

Especially with the non-Lumia bias that still runs a lot on this site and ones similar to it.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Yes, BUT then they pulled the purse strings and decided to cut it to a handful of phones, and most will probably be sold direct from MS (at least in the US) so there is probably a lot of room for HTC, Samsung, etc to release att/Verizon/sprint phones that could be sold in carrier stores.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes, BUT then they pulled the purse strings and decided to cut it to a handful of phones, and most will probably be sold direct from MS (at least in the US) so there is probably a lot of room for HTC, Samsung, etc to release att/Verizon/sprint phones that could be sold in carrier stores.
I think the main hindrance to OEMs making new Windows 10 Mobile devices is the fact that they really cannot differentiate much. Yes, the hardware could look different. However, the OEMs cannot add their skins and launchers.

The main difference between all the Android OEM devices isn't the hardware, but rather the skins and launchers. Granted, many people dislike TouchWiz, but a lot of people like it, which sells Samsung devices. There probably wouldn't be so many Android OEMs if vanilla Android was all they could run.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 113330View attachment 113331q

I get to play with this today:p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

Nice.

Of all the S series phones, this was the miss that led to this year's Apple style movement. And in typical HTC fashion, they couldn't put out a phone with a good enough camera to take advantage. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't and still isn't a bad phone...if you can get one cheaply, it makes a good spare. Camera is useless in low light though, but great in the day and outdoors...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think the main hindrance to OEMs making new Windows 10 Mobile devices is the fact that they really cannot differentiate much. Yes, the hardware could look different. However, the OEMs cannot add their skins and launchers.

The main difference between all the Android OEM devices isn't the hardware, but rather the skins and launchers. Granted, many people dislike TouchWiz, but a lot of people like it, which sells Samsung devices. There probably wouldn't be so many Android OEMs if vanilla Android was all they could run.

I'd thank you again but the site doesn't let me. This is exactly what happened. And then the Apple style hype machine that some Lumia users took up makes this too messy. My favorite WP8 phones are still the 8X and the 925 - in that order.

OEMs are in the business to make money by selling phones. Why invest $ to make phones for a platform that no one will buy unless it is Lumia?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

You should have also told them: tweak their OS skin to be more uniform and consistent by not being as heavy handed. That would also stop them cold.

I can't or won't because EMUI 3 is something I like and more consistent than Windows 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can't or won't because EMUI 3 is something I like and more consistent than Windows 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Understood. I mean, I know it's not for everyone, but I do read a fair amount of reviews saying that hardware wise, Huawei is in the right place but software wise, they still need so work.

In any event, i don't even think stock Android itself is the smoothest way to go...

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Understood. I mean, I know it's not for everyone, but I do read a fair amount of reviews saying that hardware wise, Huawei is in the right place but software wise, they still need so work.

In any event, i don't even think stock Android itself is the smoothest way to go...

For one, it doesn't come with bloatware. The apps written by Huawei are consistent and feature rich, in addition to being a lot more beautiful than Windows 10, take the Clock for example.

Looking like IOS is easily solved by activating a different theme. There are hundreds of themes available online in their themes store.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm currently in London hanging out at the National Gallery looking at some Turner paintings.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's a beautiful day.

b160daaa306a0692b62153e023cd57e0.jpg

6531b9bc62c90edc34ef14c5dcdf5340.jpg

Ignorance, there is a cure.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

You won't get any. MSFT bought the "best game in town", and closed them before purchasing so much that there's no money in there for other OEMs.

Especially with the non-Lumia bias that still runs a lot on this site and ones similar to it.

Then again Sammy or htc didn't really try with Windows 8 or 8.1 by promoting their products so obviously people are going to go with lumia since they proved themselves ( before getting bought out by msft) I would of gone with the 8x had htc htc and tmobile supported it more . So I don't really blame the people here who chose lumia over any other oem.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I actually consider it a good thing. I wouldn't want a skin or launcher of touchwiz on top of Windows phone 10. Not only does it give consumers a learning curve every time they switch devices ex touchwiz to an htc launcher ( I forget the name ) it gives the feel that the OS is not uniform the the rest of the andriod platform. There is a reason why some people Prefer iOS over andriod. Everything is the same so you don't have to relearn where everything is . I rather have OEMs work on trying to better their hardware than working on software. The htc 8x in my opinion was the best looking Windows device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Then again Sammy or htc didn't really try with Windows 8 or 8.1 by promoting their products so obviously people are going to go with lumia since they proved themselves ( before getting bought out by msft) I would of gone with the 8x had htc htc and tmobile supported it more . So I don't really blame the people here who chose lumia over any other oem.

I think that has more to do with the closed nature of Windows Phone. The main differentiation between the various Android OEMs are the skins and launchers, not the hardware. What incentive is there for Samsung to build a device that cannot have TouchWiz?

If stock Android was all that Android devices could run, then there would be far less Android OEMs and Android devices.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

So the noise cancelling headphones I bought about 8 years ago are falling apart. I decided to get one of these:
Buy Microsoft Coloud Boom Headphones - Microsoft Store

I was going to use Bing credits to get the price down even further. Then I found these:
Amazon.com: Nokia 02739D2 COLOUD BOOM WH-530 - Headphones with mic - on-ear - yellow - for Nokia 515, X Dual SIM, XL Dual SIM, Asha 230, 500, 503, Lumia 1320, 630, 635: Electronics

So I used fewer Bing credits and got them instead. Let's see how they turn out. All the reviews for these headphones are stellar. I don't use headphones much so I didn't want to spend a ton of money...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I actually consider it a good thing. I wouldn't want a skin or launcher of touchwiz on top of Windows phone 10. Not only does it give consumers a learning curve every time they switch devices ex touchwiz to an htc launcher ( I forget the name ) it gives the feel that the OS is not uniform the the rest of the andriod platform. There is a reason why some people Prefer iOS over andriod. Everything is the same so you don't have to relearn where everything is . I rather have OEMs work on trying to better their hardware than working on software. The htc 8x in my opinion was the best looking Windows device.

There is only so much that can be done in terms of hardware. Design and cameras are different, but those things aren't different enough to attract the interest of potential buyers.

There are many Android users who dislike stock Android. A lot of members on AndroidCentral ask about Samsung apps when they switch to Moto or Nexus and find those apps aren't available.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos