WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

There is a genuine buzz for these devices, please tell me Ms didn't just kill that with us availability.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

There is a genuine buzz for these devices, please tell me Ms didn't just kill that with us availability.
Of course they did. Exclusive to AT&T... So I guess this fits into their 'not really interested in selling devices' strategy?

At least they didn't stuff it up in the UK like I was expecting.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Way too much tech talk for so early in the morning.

Not much left for me to say anyway.

Ignorance, there is a cure.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is but isn't. They weren't clear with their waterproofing policy, so I'm sure people who had lemons or didn't used it right tried to use the warranty when things went bad...and with how expensive Sony charges, they decided not to bleed money in THAT manner.

It's good enough for me...used it in snow and was fine.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

No phone on the market is 'waterproof' and I believe the IP regulators complained quite a bit about the fact that these companies have been using that term incorrectly when discussing IP ratings.

IP68 does not equal waterproof. It means the device can survive being submersed in water with no ingress for a period of time and depth according to the manufactures specification. This is not waterproof, it means it's protected against such an instance.

IP68 the specification states that the maximum depth is typically 3m and for 1 hour. However, the manufacture can specify otherwise.

In the case of the Z3, Sony specifies 1.5m for 30 mins in fresh water so long as all the flaps are sealed correctly.

Personally I have a hard time believing that the companies that check IP specifications let such a shoddy design through with those flaps but I guess $$$ means a lot.

The Z5 appears to be better but I'm still not fond of the flap for the SD card and SIM.

For me, for a phone to be fully waterproof would mean being able to use it any time I wish in any type of water without consequences. Of course there will still be a depth consideration but it would be at least 3m.

I'm positive it will happen one day but whether the phone will be sleek looking is another story.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

No phone on the market is 'waterproof' and I believe the IP regulators complained quite a bit about the fact that these companies have been using that term incorrectly when discussing IP ratings.

IP68 does not equal waterproof. It means the device can survive being submersed in water with no ingress for a period of time and depth according to the manufactures specification. This is not waterproof, it means it's protected against such an instance.

IP68 the specification states that the maximum depth is typically 3m and for 1 hour. However, the manufacture can specify otherwise.

In the case of the Z3, Sony specifies 1.5m for 30 mins in fresh water so long as all the flaps are sealed correctly.

Personally I have a hard time believing that the companies that check IP specifications let such a shoddy design through with those flaps but I guess $$$ means a lot.

The Z5 appears to be better but I'm still not fond of the flap for the SD card and SIM.

For me, for a phone to be fully waterproof would mean being able to use it any time I wish in any type of water without consequences. Of course there will still be a depth consideration but it would be at least 3m.

I'm positive it will happen one day but whether the phone will be sleek looking is another story.
This is a good link from AndroidCentral. http://forums.androidcentral.com/al.../576867-new-waterproof-phone.html#post4662906

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX-N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is a good link from AndroidCentral. A new waterproof phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) running Stock/AOSP (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) ElementalX-N7-5.00 using Tapatalk

I find the Wiki article the most useful personally - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Since I work in an industry where IP ratings are part of my job I'm a bit more familiar with them than the typical smartphone user.

Unfortunately this can confuse people who are not familiar with the tests involved or what IP is all about.

Simply put, IP is an enclosure that protects 'equipment' in certain environmental conditions. It also provides protection for individuals who work with this equipment.

As an example, in the electrical industry this could mean not being able to touch live equipment at dangerous voltages and protected against some water dripping. IP22, for example, would cover this.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I find the Wiki article the most useful personally - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Since I work in an industry where IP ratings are part of my job I'm a bit more familiar with them than the typical smartphone user.

Unfortunately this can confuse people who are not familiar with the tests involved or what IP is all about.

Simply put, IP is an enclosure that protects 'equipment' in certain environmental conditions. It also provides protection for individuals who work with this equipment.

As an example, in the electrical industry this could mean not being able to touch live equipment at dangerous voltages and protected against some water dripping. IP22, for example, would cover this.

Problem is, this isn't marketed correctly when it comes to smartphones. I like the water resistance that Sony offers. I can use it in the rain, have water spill on it or potentially drop it in a toilet and have it survive unharmed. I don't need it to go swimming.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I must say that I'm a bit more satisfied with the Maxx's camera than I thought I'd be. It still to me is the weakest camera on a phone of the three I own, but as a casual snapper, it does the job.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't mean to be negative but based on what I'm seeing so far, MSFT phone wise didn't announce anything yesterday that's gotten me interested in selling my 930 to purchase their new offerings.

The game has changed while they were away restructuring. I want to see what they do in that midrange space now to consolidate. That'll say if they are really serious or not about making an impact.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I don't mean to be negative but based on what I'm seeing so far, MSFT phone wise didn't announce anything yesterday that's gotten me interested in selling my 930 to purchase their new offerings.

The game has changed while they were away restructuring. I want to see what they do in that midrange space now to consolidate. That'll say if they are really serious or not about making an impact.

The selling factor of the 950 to me are Continuum and Windows Hello. But in reality, seeing it up is pretty expensive and looks like it's not gonna play with what I have, that is, folding keyboard and surface arc mouse because they're Bluetooth based and that little brick needed for Continuum expects USB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Problem is, this isn't marketed correctly when it comes to smartphones. I like the water resistance that Sony offers. I can use it in the rain, have water spill on it or potentially drop it in a toilet and have it survive unharmed. I don't need it to go swimming.

Oh I know the marketing was poorly done and shouldn't be allowed by consumer protection groups. To me what Sony or any other smartphone maker who claimed you can take it for a swim is flat out lying. Not saying you can't dunk it in water and snap a picture but you need to understand that it's 'possible' that the phone won't work after that.

Anyone who puts any electronics in salt water without it being designed for it deserves what they get IMO... Salt is one of the most corrosive elements on earth.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think Microsoft lacks the resources to do this. They canned the majority of the Nokia employees. When Nokia did warranty work, people got their phones fixed in a week. Now there are members here who have waited months for warranty repairs. If Microsoft can't provide timely warranty service now (even with carrier help), how could they handle ALL sales and support?

Well, that's a serious problem. They lost the factory in India and that was huge. I know it was tied up because of Nokia's issues with the Indian government, bit reduced capacity is still reduced capacity.

This is why i wished MSFT had just cut the product line down to 4 phones a year and call it a day. As much as it would have pissed more people off, I'd have killed support off for everything else and dropped the 4 phones yesterday.

It means if you want updates, you go through the insiders program. Otherwise, these are the phones we'll do official firmware for, sell them carrier unlocked with maybe 3 variants.

Nokia left them too much to clean up, plain and simple. Even now, were still paying for that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss