WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I don't mean to be negative but based on what I'm seeing so far, MSFT phone wise didn't announce anything yesterday that's gotten me interested in selling my 930 to purchase their new offerings.

The game has changed while they were away restructuring. I want to see what they do in that midrange space now to consolidate. That'll say if they are really serious or not about making an impact.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

The selling factor of the 950 to me are Continuum and Windows Hello. But in reality, setting it up is pretty expensive and looks like it's not gonna play with what I have, that is, folding keyboard and surface arc mouse because they're Bluetooth based and that little brick needed for Continuum expects USB.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't mean to be negative but based on what I'm seeing so far, MSFT phone wise didn't announce anything yesterday that's gotten me interested in selling my 930 to purchase their new offerings.

The game has changed while they were away restructuring. I want to see what they do in that midrange space now to consolidate. That'll say if they are really serious or not about making an impact.

Maybe I'm too teched up at the moment but I feel pretty much the same.

I also found the pricing a bit on the steep side personally if they were at all interested in selling the things.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The selling factor of the 950 to me are Continuum and Windows Hello. But in reality, seeing it up is pretty expensive and looks like it's not gonna play with what I have, that is, folding keyboard and surface arc mouse because they're Bluetooth based and that little brick needed for Continuum expects USB.

For the prices they're charging? That has to work flawlessly out of the box or else it's a gimmick, plain and simple.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

For the prices they're charging? That has to work flawlessly out of the box or else it's a gimmick, plain and simple.

There was no mention about the price of those bricks and the reason I personally wanted the 950 at $449. If the brick is $100..

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There was no mention about the price of those bricks and the reason I personally wanted the 950 at $449. If the brick is $100..

I'm not holding out hope for the accessories to be reasonably priced either.

They really should have gone for 950 - $449, XL - $549. I'll bet any money that the AT&T variants are gonna be harder to unlock than the secrets to making the Tea Party become realistic.

They struck out big time with pricing and availability. I like the idea of Continuum, but without some of the popular social/social media apps, it makes it less appealing. $250 is a decent price for the Band 2, but if they started out at $200, that would be eye popping.

It's sad because for me I'm at a point where I could still use WP as a daily driver if it delivered on the good camera, good battery life and useful wearable. Hardware wise, I like what MSFT is doing. Their pricing is a big time turn off. Why I still use Android is that even though I don't use a ton of G. Apps, I have the convenience to find some apps on my phone if I need to in a pinch I cannot do as easily as I would on WP.

My Moto Maxx is very agnostic...Opera is my default browser. Arrow is my launcher. Outlook email + calendar are my default for email and calendar. shuttle is my default music app. Amazon is my primary purchasing app. I use a AOSP messing app as my message app. MSFT Word handles my office files. I flip flop between Opera and Chrome for browsing, Here and G Maps for navigation, and G Now and Cortana for web searches.

I don't know...I like how 10 looks on a desktop...and that's about it. I preferred 8.1 for tablets and WP for phones. Synergy is nice and all, but I'm too platform agnostic.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

No phone on the market is 'waterproof' and I believe the IP regulators complained quite a bit about the fact that these companies have been using that term incorrectly when discussing IP ratings.

IP68 does not equal waterproof. It means the device can survive being submersed in water with no ingress for a period of time and depth according to the manufactures specification. This is not waterproof, it means it's protected against such an instance.

IP68 the specification states that the maximum depth is typically 3m and for 1 hour. However, the manufacture can specify otherwise.

In the case of the Z3, Sony specifies 1.5m for 30 mins in fresh water so long as all the flaps are sealed correctly.

Personally I have a hard time believing that the companies that check IP specifications let such a shoddy design through with those flaps but I guess $$$ means a lot.

The Z5 appears to be better but I'm still not fond of the flap for the SD card and SIM.

For me, for a phone to be fully waterproof would mean being able to use it any time I wish in any type of water without consequences. Of course there will still be a depth consideration but it would be at least 3m.

I'm positive it will happen one day but whether the phone will be sleek looking is another story.
And that is why ugly case makers are making a killing, Lifeproof anyone?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I find the Wiki article the most useful personally - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

Since I work in an industry where IP ratings are part of my job I'm a bit more familiar with them than the typical smartphone user.

Unfortunately this can confuse people who are not familiar with the tests involved or what IP is all about.

Simply put, IP is an enclosure that protects 'equipment' in certain environmental conditions. It also provides protection for individuals who work with this equipment.

As an example, in the electrical industry this could mean not being able to touch live equipment at dangerous voltages and protected against some water dripping. IP22, for example, would cover this.
I have actually gotten a device through the IP rating tests and is currently on the market

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Problem is, this isn't marketed correctly when it comes to smartphones. I like the water resistance that Sony offers. I can use it in the rain, have water spill on it or potentially drop it in a toilet and have it survive unharmed. I don't need it to go swimming.

More than likely it will sink not swim even if it is completely waterproof.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The selling factor of the 950 to me are Continuum and Windows Hello. But in reality, seeing it up is pretty expensive and looks like it's not gonna play with what I have, that is, folding keyboard and surface arc mouse because they're Bluetooth based and that little brick needed for Continuum expects USB.

Might be that BT peripherals will work, just need the cable and dock to attach to the monitor.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro