WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I just thought that you might have uninstalled the app.

I did. I reinstalled tapatalk yesterday. I thought its been a very long time since I was last seen here. Also, lately I haven't been using this app much even if I have it installed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the dark mode and haven't tried the light mode.

It looks OK, but the header is too big.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

It's got a busy sort of feel to it based on the lay out. Not sure if I like that.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh my yeah I guess when you've flown that much it gets old fast

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830
Air travel loses its appeal very quickly. Even traveling business class.

Being able to get to somewhere fast and cheap hasn't.

They say the journey somewhere is just as important as the destination but I can assure you that getting off a plane after 16 hours is one the most grateful feelings in the world.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

With HID lights(we usually call the xenon lights) visibility is apparently much better (didn't have a car with them yet) than with normal Halogen lights.
But considering LED vs Xenon the difference in visibility isn't that big. I remember Autobild.de doing a comparison couple years ago between LED, Xenon and Halogen on same car. The difference between LED and Xenon was minimal.
Why are LED more popular now? First you can do different designs with them. So this is one thing. Also, there is no changing light bulbs when you have LED.
But the most important difference are Matrix headlights. Basically you are driving all the time with long beam but when your can notices someone is approaching you from the other way it will turn off parts of the lights not to blind the driver of the other car. This is the thing Audi's had for some years(not all) but now you can get it in new Opel Astra.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I'll add some more information in here just to flesh out things a bit.

Let's start with Xenon lights. They're not actually xenon but HID with a xenon gas for instant light. Reason for this is that HID lights are not quick to turn on so the xenon gas helps to have a light while the HID warms up.

HID lights are in the yellow spectrum of light so they are not exactly the best for viewing items in the dark and they don't have a very long life, about 2000 hours.

LEDs are a different light altogether.

First, they're semiconductors which means they don't act like a normal light. The light is instant. They have a good temperature range and good life span but don't like high levels of heat so need to be insulated from the high levels of heat from the engine. They don't put out a lot of heat either (except from the driver circuit) which means that heaters are required for headlights in areas where they get to below zero temperatures.

LEDs emit a white light in the blue spectrum of light which makes them appear brighter than they actually are. They are significantly better for night viewing in that sense as objects appear more 'true' to us and less fuzzy. Issues with LEDs is that they're a very direct light and they can appear very blinding. So design considerations need to be taken into account for these factors.

As LED technology continues to grow, we're already in 3rd generation LEDs, we'll see improvements in the amount of light the LEDs can produce. But my guess is that they're here to stay, though I've see information on laser lights becoming available for BMWs for high beams. Interesting times.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll add some more information in here just to flesh out things a bit.

Let's start with Xenon lights. They're not actually xenon but HID with a xenon gas for instant light. Reason for this is that HID lights are not quick to turn on so the xenon gas helps to have a light while the HID warms up.

HID lights are in the yellow spectrum of light so they are not exactly the best for viewing items in the dark and they don't have a very long life, about 2000 hours.

I'll add some to this myself. HID lights do take a second to ignite the Xenon gas in their bulbs. Their color/hue (temperature) is defined on a scale of Kelvin (K). Most vehicle manufacturers that outfit their vehicles with factory HID lights, (like the HID projector headlights on my RX8) are around 6000K (pure white). ("Projectors" are just a lens in front of the bulb that focuses the light in one direction.)

Aftermarket HID conversion kits can be purchased in a wide range of color temperatures. Anything lower than 5000K is yellow in color (halogen lights are between 2000-3000K), where anything above 7000-8000K appears blue or purple. The cars you see on the road with those real bright blue/purple lights are 10,000 - 12,000K HID kits.

Also, HID lights are designed to last 10x longer than conventional halogen lights, as there are no filaments to break.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'll add some to this myself. HID lights do take a second to ignite the Xenon gas in their bulbs. Their color/hue (temperature) is defined on a scale of Kelvin (K). Most vehicle manufacturers that outfit their vehicles with factory HID lights, (like the HID projector headlights on my RX8) are around 6000K (pure white). ("Projectors" are just a lens in front of the bulb that focuses the light in one direction.)

Aftermarket HID conversion kits can be purchased in a wide range of color temperatures. Anything lower than 5000K is yellow in color (halogen lights are between 2000-3000K), where anything above 7000-8000K appears blue or purple. The cars you see on the road with those real bright blue/purple lights are 10,000 - 12,000K HID kits.

Also, HID lights are designed to last 10x longer than conventional halogen lights, as there are no filaments to break.

I got a bit confused with HPS lights... hence the yellow comment. My bad. Cars never used HPS. I often confuse HID and HPS...

Cars should only use only 4300K or 5000K (most LEDs are 5000K) as that's the same level as daylight.

The issue with going up the scale from that point is that the throw of light is shorter. The light may be brighter and look different but it's not necessarily a better light.

This is due to the lumen output (the most important measurement of any light) is a lot less at higher colour temps.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Betcha Sahib's head's spinning after reading all this talk about headlights...

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to the opening of the MSFT store in NYC. Gonna go play with the new toys and eyeball the Band 2 for the GF...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Whenever I travel against the grain of rush hour people traffic on a Monday morning, I'm always filled with mixed feelings about the depth of what that sea of humanity looks and feels like.

There is no place like NYC indeed...for better, for worse, for indifference.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to the opening of the MSFT store in NYC. Gonna go play with the new toys and eyeball the Band 2 for the GF...

Probably means the only thing I will buy in there is a band 2 and not for me. It's nice to have stepped off the bandwagon, as I'm very satisfied with the gear I have.

#overitall.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Morning folks. Betcha Sahib's head's spinning after reading all this talk about headlights...

Nah ha I understood it most of it . I'm generally interested in. If I get a used car that isn't so old maybe I'll get the opportunity to change the lights that the car has :) hence my question about HID's and LED's no way am I even thought about halogen lights

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Probably means the only thing I will buy in there is a band 2 and not for me. It's nice to have stepped off the bandwagon, as I'm very satisfied with the gear I have.

#overitall.

The band two looks legit . I really dig the barometer sensor because I do a lot of steps on my aerobics class .

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Nah ha I understood it most of it . I'm generally interested in. If I get a used car that isn't so old maybe I'll get the opportunity to change the lights that the car has :) hence my question about HID's and LED's no way am I even thought about halogen lights

Didn't say that you wouldn't understand it, just said you're heading was spinning after reading it. You haven't asked for a specific topic like this on the thread in a while, so we know you're interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers