WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

That's way too early!

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk
We don't really have Halloween here though there is some effort to get it going. It's slowly creeping in like it was in Australia. Then there's no Thanksgiving though there will be mention of it and some celebrations for the expats.

So we don't have much happening between the start of school in September and Xmas for the shops.

We were in London on Saturday and the major shops aside from having decorations up already had their Xmas shops going where you can buy Xmas decorations and trees.

Spendmas is in full swing here...

Ignorance, there is a cure.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

We don't really have Halloween here though there is some effort to get it going. It's slowly creeping in like it was in Australia. Then there's no Thanksgiving though there will be mention of it and some celebrations for the expats.

So we don't have much happening between the start of school in September and Xmas for the shops.

We were in London on Saturday and the major shops aside from having decorations up already had their Xmas shops going where you can buy Xmas decorations and trees.

Spendmas is in full swing here...

Ignorance, there is a cure.
I knew you wouldn't have Thanksgiving, since that is a US holiday, but I thought Halloween was international. That's something new I learned.

Decorating the yard for Halloween is rather recent, though. When I was a kid in the 70s, nobody put up Halloween decorations. One family on my street had teenaged sons who liked to use strobe lights and spooky sounds, but that was the extent of it. Yard/house decorations were limited to Christmas at that time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I knew you wouldn't have Thanksgiving, since that is a US holiday, but I thought Halloween was international. That's something new I learned.

Decorating the yard for Halloween is rather recent, though. When I was a kid in the 70s, nobody put up Halloween decorations. One family on my street had teenaged sons who liked to use strobe lights and spooky sounds, but that was the extent of it. Yard/house decorations were limited to Christmas at that time.
It was the same for me when I was younger. Few people had decorations like they do now. There was one that had a haunted house every year and the usual pumpkins / skeletons but that's it. Nothing like the craziness now. I think people like doing the decorations like they do for Xmas because it makes it more a celebration.

I used to think the same about Halloween as well. It's still low key here but I think it's gaining interest like it was in Australia. I think they're trying to start the tradition and hope it carries on with the next generation.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It was the same for me when I was younger. Few people had decorations like they do now. There was one that had a haunted house every year and the usual pumpkins / skeletons but that's it. Nothing like the craziness now. I think people like doing the decorations like they do for Xmas because it makes it more a celebration.

I used to think the same about Halloween as well. It's still low key here but I think it's gaining interest like it was in Australia. I think they're trying to start the tradition and hope it carries on with the next generation.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
The thing that surprised me is that although horror novels really originated in England, Ireland, and Scotland (Shelley's Frankenstein, Stoker's Dracula, and Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde), Halloween has not become popular in the UK. All of those novels were adapted to film many times. Watching scary movies has become a Halloween tradition in the US, and I would've guessed that the holiday would've become popular in the UK, due to those novels (and the film adaptations).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The thing that surprised me is that although horror novels really originated in England, Ireland, and Scotland (Shelley's Frankenstein, Stoker's Dracula, and Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde), Halloween has not become popular in the UK. All of those novels were adapted to film many times. Watching scary movies has become a Halloween tradition in the US, and I would've guessed that the holiday would've become popular in the UK, due to those novels (and the film adaptations).

The 'Americanized' version of Halloween was not popular here until recent and is apparently growing but the tradition of 'All Hallows Eve' or 'All Saints Day' was. From what I read Halloween appears to have started in Ireland and Scotland with possible pagan roots in the Celtic traditions which carried over into the Christian but it remained more a ceremony rather than the party that it is in the US. There are a lot of pagan rituals that continue here in the UK I'm guessing Halloween was just one of those.

To a lot of people around my age and a touch younger, Halloween is still a bit of a foreign idea here in the UK, though these things start to catch on thanks to popularity, news, media, social media and bringing in a 'traditional' vibe to it.

Any reason to dress up, act silly, get drunk and spend lots of money on meaningless stuff I suppose...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

The 'Americanized' version of Halloween was not popular here until recent and is apparently growing but the tradition of 'All Hallows Eve' or 'All Saints Day' was. From what I read Halloween appears to have started in Ireland and Scotland with possible pagan roots in the Celtic traditions which carried over into the Christian but it remained more a ceremony rather than the party that it is in the US. There are a lot of pagan rituals that continue here in the UK I'm guessing Halloween was just one of those.

To a lot of people around my age and a touch younger, Halloween is still a bit of a foreign idea here in the UK, though these things start to catch on thanks to popularity, news, media, social media and bringing in a 'traditional' vibe to it.

Any reason to dress up, act silly, get drunk and spend lots of money on meaningless stuff I suppose...

Funnily enough, FFXIV is doing something for "All Saints Wake" so I wonder which Halloween version it's pandering to. The American version or the Irish/Scottish pagan version.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Funnily enough, FFXIV is doing something for "All Saints Wake" so I wonder which Halloween version it's pandering to. The American version or the Irish/Scottish pagan version.

Well the Americanized version is the dressing up bit coupled with horror stories and spookiness. The Irish/Scottish still had the trick or treating, pumpkins and dressing up (not as a banana mind you) and some sense of ceremony. Expelling evil spirits kind of thing. The Christian tradition turned it more into a church service with candles and so on. So the Americanized version has more in common with the Celtic but it's different in many other ways.

It appears the FFXIV thing is more American than the old Celtic though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

^ learning something today.

No Celtic or americanized halloween in my neck of the woods, so interesting to hear. The morbid decorations and overly gory dressing up totally turns me off though.

I'd be a lot more sympathetic if it was restricted only to sexy nurse costumes and getting drunk.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks.

I got the non toxic tattoos for the kids next week!!! I'm pissed because they only had the Halloween style ones as single tattoos, instead of a strip of 4...

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Good morning everyone. Going to drive to Wisconsin in a few minutes.

I'll have to get some Halloween stuff this weekend as the kid has been pestering me about it for a bit now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good morning everyone. Going to drive to Wisconsin in a few minutes.

I'll have to get some Halloween stuff this weekend as the kid has been pestering me about it for a bit now.

Let us know what the kid'll dress up as for Halloween...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

^ learning something today.

No Celtic or americanized halloween in my neck of the woods, so interesting to hear. The morbid decorations and overly gory dressing up totally turns me off though.

I'd be a lot more sympathetic if it was restricted only to sexy nurse costumes and getting drunk.

The only thing I can think of that may bring the idea of skeletons and death into the Halloween thing is probably the Day of the Dead as celebrated in Mexico City. There may be other things in that.

As humans we've always had issues dealing with death. There's always been a mixture of praise and fear of past ancestors in our cultures. In the US and Canada, in some places, death is a big taboo subject. There's almost a superstitious belief that if talking about it will bring it about. I'm not entirely sure where that stems from.

In the EU it's a bit different now but a lot of tales of zombies, the dead rising and so on are still very much a part of certain cultures and was somewhat rampant in the EU in medieval times. Lack of knowledge and understanding created atmosphere of fear and loathing of the dead. I've seen a few shows talking about how some of the dead were treated when there was fear of them returning or there was knowledge they may have returned and caused trouble.

Sounds kind of silly to us now but there are many cultures in the world that still believe things like this and some religions too.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Well the Americanized version is the dressing up bit coupled with horror stories and spookiness. The Irish/Scottish still had the trick or treating, pumpkins and dressing up (not as a banana mind you) and some sense of ceremony. Expelling evil spirits kind of thing. The Christian tradition turned it more into a church service with candles and so on. So the Americanized version has more in common with the Celtic but it's different in many other ways.

It appears the FFXIV thing is more American than the old Celtic though.

SPOILER ALERT: We actually had to expel evil spirits (or rather nullify their evil magicks) as part of the story so maybe it was the Celtic one after all.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Today at work was not worth a damn. And I have school still. If my professor wasn't getting surgery done, I'd go home today and skip class entirely.

Some days it feels like the task is to build a fire pit underneath a beaver damn spraying water and keep it burning to stay warm.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Wow I'm surprised . For the amount it money msft is asking for the surface book you would of thought it would be a good competitor to that Mac book but this clearly shows that it's not . This won't go well with the fanboys in the forums lol .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk but I prefer my 810 and 830

He has valid points, like the charging connector, but scratching the glass table is bull****.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077