WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I agree wholely with what your saying.

Maybe because of my upbringing or whatever but I always find certain circumstances awkward. This is one of them. The other is when I go to a restaurant and the staff is too attentive. Then there's the hotel door, baggage and room service. Airport luggage as well...

My wife being Australian is not a fan of tipping as staff is paid reasonably well there and there isn't a huge culture of it here either. They're doing their best to try and bring it in Australia and here though.

I won't comment on housing in New York as I know it's really bad. It's really shocking here now. I read article the other day of a room to let in London for ?500 a month and it was a literally bed under the stairs. This is how bad things are here now.

The prices have just got obscene now in the last three years. They're tralking bubble but I get the feeling that nothing will happen unless there's a global downturn. London is too easy for overseas investors.

Housing here is such a sham. I've seen just as bad as you've described being offered here for a high price. For instance, a recent uproar was over micro apartments that have shared bathroom and kitchen spaces in Harlem being bought up by monied folks who fix them up with all new appliances, given them an ultra modern look...then charging $1200 a month. $1200? Seriously? And yes, people will pay becuase you're in Harlem and the commute is half or less from mid-town and under an hour from downtown Brooklyn and the lower Manhattan nightlife spots...and they price the brown folks who look like me out of the neighborhood.

That's the game as it's always been...if you have means, and the right skin tone, the world is your oyster.

Some days I wish I was in finance making money hand over fist. But I just don't have the stomach for that.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Housing here is such a sham. I've seen just as bad as you've described being offered here for a high price. For instance, a recent uproar was over micro apartments that have shared bathroom and kitchen spaces in Harlem being bought up by monied folks who fix them up with all new appliances, given them an ultra modern look...then charging $1200 a month. $1200? Seriously? And yes, people will pay becuase you're in Harlem and the commute is half or less from mid-town and under an hour from downtown Brooklyn and the lower Manhattan nightlife spots...and they price the brown folks who look like me out of the neighborhood.

That's the game as it's always been...if you have means, and the right skin tone, the world is your oyster.

Some days I wish I was in finance making money hand over fist. But I just don't have the stomach for that.

Micro apartments with shared bathroom and kitchen spaces reminds me of the 19th Century tenements on the Lower East Side. I wouldn't think such an arrangement would be legal nowadays. That's horrible, especially for such expensive prices.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I've never seen a micro apartment before but from what I've seen. I wouldn't want to rent a place like that

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Wow with that kind of money you can rent a 3 room 2 bath house with a big backyard and a pool o.o.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Micro apartments with shared bathroom and kitchen spaces reminds me of the 19th Century tenements on the Lower East Side. I wouldn't think such an arrangement would be legal nowadays. That's horrible, especially for such expensive prices.

It is a real rip off, but they target younger people who can pay it because that's cheaper than getting a cot in the Village.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm in this weird place when it comes to Project Fi.

I'd like to try it, but it is only limited to Nexus devices. I have no interest in getting another device at this point. I did score one of the invites when Google had opened it up a bit more. It would make a nice option for me if I wanted to downsize on my bill though.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm in this weird place when it comes to Project Fi.

I'd like to try it, but it is only limited to Nexus devices. I have no interest in getting another device at this point. I did score one of the invites when Google had opened it up a bit more. It would make a nice option for me if I wanted to downsize on my bill though.

A Nexus 6 can be arranged for a reasonably cheap price.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
A Nexus 6 can be arranged for a reasonably cheap price.

Some eyeglasses need to be arranged first to better see the part that says "I'm not buying any more devices"....

Won't go to a bigger phone with a smaller battery than what's in my current stable...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Some eyeglasses need to be arranged first to better see the part that says "I'm not buying any more devices"....

Won't go to a bigger phone with a smaller battery than what's in my current stable...

Doze works quite well on Marshmallow.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Doze works quite well on Marshmallow.

I'm surprised you haven't tried out Fi yet with the N5.

I appreciate the offer to help, but I'm really off the market. There's not much to improve on with my Z3 or Maxx. When the Maxx gets 6.0, forget it...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm surprised you haven't tried out Fi yet with the N5.

I appreciate the offer to help, but I'm really off the market. There's not much to improve on with my Z3 or Maxx. When the Maxx gets 6.0, forget it...

I almost got a kit and then decided against it when I had the N6 for a few days earlier this year.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I almost got a kit and then decided against it when I had the N6 for a few days earlier this year.

OK. It seems interesting, but without the kit to test it and the restrictions to Nexus only devices, I'll pass.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's what is basically happening here. Here they call them HMOs. House of Multiple Occupants. In London and university towns they're quite common. You basically rent a room and share everything else.

In London there are many factors to the housing problem. The first is that everyone who comes to the UK wants to live there. The second all the foreign investors want to buy property there. Three is students. Four is new graduates looking for work and the list goes on. Thing is it's really that second one causing the bigger issue. Reason? Whole apartment complexes are put on the foreign market prior to local. Investors buy them like you do stocks on the stock market. Lots sit empty. The price of these properties are out of the price range of locals on purpose and generally anyone wanting to live near their work.

More and more people are commuting long distances and there's talk of a shortage of staff in areas like teaching and nurses due to the inability of them being live near to where they work. So they leave the profession or leave London. Cost of commuting keeps rising as well.

London is becoming a place for the rich to live only and a tourist stomping ground. There will always be those young people willing to pay for the high rents simply to be in London but I often wonder how long before even they think it's not worth it

Unfortunately with a right wing government in power things are only going to get worse. It's all about helping those with money get richer and stomping on the poor and working poor. That's the current government style we have.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

:unhappy:I'm sorry that you have lousy weather.

It has been very nice here.
We had exceptionally warm weather on Friday and Saturday. We got up to 20C. But the temperature has dropped which is probably why we have all this fog now.

Thankfully it doesn't appear to be affecting the trains.... yet.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

What a foggy mess it is today. It was yesterday as well. However I didn't go anywhere.

Yeah I went to a firework display last night, but it was really foggy and even just dangerous when driving through some areas. Going to work this morning will be fun.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well I officially give up on the photo contests. :p

Though I didn't need the bluetooth speaker still would've been nice to win.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077