WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'll tell you guys a quick story. I guess all this talk about life and death made me remember, that, and for some reason I just feel like typing today. This is a true story.

One of my best friends back in my high school days Ralph, that I used to hang out with every day (my graduating year was 1987 for reference) became a framer/roofer in the 90's. Over the years, we lost touch. Each took different career paths and such, got married and had kids, and went on with our lives etc.

Well one day, a mutual friend that I still talked to, had told me about this terrible accident that Ralph had been in on the job. He'd fallen from a two story building and had broken nearly every bone in his body. Said friend gave me the number to the hospital room where he was, so I called and talked to him. We talked for hours it seemed! Reminiscing on old times, laughing and catching up; he told me that he had a son "James". We vowed to keep in touch.

Ralph spent the next 6 months in traction (full body cast), followed by 3 more months of rehabilitation and had to learn how to walk again, and pretty much had to re-learn how to do everything again... but he did it! A year after the accident, he was back on his feet as if nothing ever happened! Due to getting hurt on the job, he was also awarded a hefty settlement.. He got a ton of money. Money which he quickly went out and bought the motorcycle of his dreams with - A Suzuki GSX1100 (IIRC or something like that) Ralph had always been a rider, even back in high school. He was the guy who was always doing wheelies down the road on his "crotch-rocket" type Japanese bikes. A speed demon. So much so, that it really wasn't a huge surprise to any of us that knew him, that he was killed on that new bike shortly after getting it. He lost control of it on one of our local bridges here, hit the side barrier and plummeting about 200ft to a parking lot below. Ralph was wearing a helmet.

Fast forward to about 2006-2007. I was telling this very story to a couple young newly hired dishwashers at the restaurant I was managing at. As I'm telling it, I notice one of these kids eyes lighting up, as he's almost mouthing the words coming out of my mouth... he stops me and corrects me; "no, it was a GS1100" ... this kid's name was James. Ralph's son...
Too sad man, i know some will say 'he should have settled down', but reading the story made me realise that this bike actually was his settlement.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I guess I forgot to mention at the end of my story, that I had no idea at that moment that this was my friend Ralph's son, whom I was telling the story of his fathers death to.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

My Dell is less than six months and has developed this...
3a87fe68f86605fd8cf782073e90cfae.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I guess I forgot to mention at the end of my story, that I had no idea at that moment that this was my friend Ralph's son, whom I was telling the story of his fathers death to.

Tough business Ed. Sad story indeed.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Whoa Ed that is some sad stuff . Who would of thought would happen. You telling the story to his son. That's tough.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Only 4 more weeks of instructional school then one week of not learning anything but studying for finals then one week of finals week :) huzah ! And looks like I'll be graduating this summer WOOT!!!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just need to format it now...gonna head back to the GF so she can read it in person and I'll complete my final edits.

Taking a chance in modifying parts of a previous paper i used for a different class...but hey, the topic applies so why do all the work completely over?

Posted via Xperia Z3

GF is doing her read through now...gonna edit it afterwards and go to sleep.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Whoa Ed that is some sad stuff . Who would of thought would happen. You telling the story to his son. That's tough.
Well he already knew the whole story. Thing is, I didn't know it was him, as I had never met Ralph's son, see? It was just a coincidence that years later he ended up working for me. I think he took his mother's last name even, come to think of it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Well he already knew the whole story. Thing is, I didn't know it was him, as I had never met Ralph's son, see? It was just a coincidence that years later he ended up working for me. I think he took his mother's last name even, come to think of it.
That was some story Ed!

Life is full of these odd coincidences.

That story reminded me of something you would hear in a movie or be a movie in itself.

Sport Driver

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Well not hanged actually, but some blury photo of him after they took him of the rope. Even if it was actually photo of him hanged it wouldn't be much of a surprise, cause here, in Balcan, stuff like that are not far from normal/usual.
Where are you from than? I'm from Slovenia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb