WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Forgot to ask, how's the iPhone doing? Whenever i look the specs it never seems to wow me, camera too, after i saw the allmighty camera of the Galaxy S6 i don't believe anything will surpass it in a while, maybe not even the Lumia 950.

It's doing great... Love it! I don't regret my decision one bit. It's blazing fast at everything. The "specs" obviously don't matter, as the proof is in the pudding as they say. The actual real world performance is what "wows" me. Launching apps, switching between them, and general app performance is stellar. Take the camera app for example; the launch app to saved picture time is super fast.

Speaking of the camera, (and this is coming from a former 1020, and more recently a 1520 user) the imaging is top notch. For my needs, the 6S Plus' camera is more than enough.. especially with all the camera apps available that have full access to the camera API, like Pro Shot for example. Heck, I even have the real Instagram now! All this means a much more flexible camera for me, save for DNG/RAW support, but honestly, I could probably count on one hand how many times I've used that. If I really need to shoot a RAW image, I still have my 1520 ;)

Im going to write up a full review (from a Windows Phone user's perspective) soon. But, before my stint with Windows Phone, over the last 3-4 years (two 920s, two 1020s, and a 1520), I actually came from 4 generations of iPhones, starting with the original, all the way through the 4S where I "switched". So I'm back to familiar territory here, so to speak. A lot has changed yes, but for the better! iOS has evolved and improved so much. I have been keeping up with things with my iPad Air 2, but now back to using it as my daily driver phone, I see what I've been missing! It's just a luxurious experience.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a big fan of WP, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm just going to wait it out patiently (and contently) from the sidelines with my 6S Plus and all my apps. I'll still keep up with everything on my 1520, as I've spent a small fortune on paid apps on this platform as well... and when the time comes, and the "Surface Phones" are all the rage, and have all the apps and services that I want and need, I'll happily jump back onboard with a "Windows Phone" as my daily driver.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Won't break even on that transaction so its a no go. I'm thinking of getting the XL, and the 5X. Probably will have to sell the 6+ to bankroll the XL. Will return the N5 back to my friend. I also got a 640 for a friend and another 640 as a media player during Black Friday.

Well, you kept the N5 longer than I thought you would have this go round. Enjoy both the XL and the 5X. Post mini reviews for both.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's doing great... Love it! I don't regret my decision one bit. It's blazing fast at everything. The "specs" obviously don't matter, as the proof is in the pudding as they say. The actual real world performance is what "wows" me. Launching apps, switching between them, and general app performance is stellar. Take the camera app for example; the launch app to saved picture time is super fast.

Speaking of the camera, (and this is coming from a former 1020, and more recently a 1520 user) the imaging is top notch. For my needs, the 6S Plus' camera is more than enough.. especially with all the camera apps available that have full access to the camera API, like Pro Shot for example. Heck, I even have the real Instagram now! All this means a much more flexible camera for me, save for DNG/RAW support, but honestly, I could probably count on one hand how many times I've used that. If I really need to shoot a RAW image, I still have my 1520 ;)

Im going to write up a full review (from a Windows Phone user's perspective) soon. But, before my stint with Windows Phone, over the last 3-4 years (two 920s, two 1020s, and a 1520), I actually came from 4 generations of iPhones, starting with the original, all the way through the 4S where I "switched". So I'm back to familiar territory here, so to speak. A lot has changed yes, but for the better! iOS has evolved and improved so much. I have been keeping up with things with my iPad Air 2, but now back to using it as my daily driver phone, I see what I've been missing! It's just a luxurious experience.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a big fan of WP, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm just going to wait it out patiently (and contently) from the sidelines with my 6S Plus and all my apps. I'll still keep up with everything on my 1520, as I've spent a small fortune on paid apps on this platform as well... and when the time comes, and the "Surface Phones" are all the rage, and have all the apps and services that I want and need, I'll happily jump back onboard with a "Windows Phone" as my daily driver.

Sounds like you're taking the stance of many, Ed. I too am a bit tempted by the 950. But I'm not a fan of the price point right now, nor am I interested in another round of beta testing in the early days of Windows 10. So I'll keep an eye out from a distance too. Pity my 930 doesn't get LTE on T-Mobile, as there are some days I want to use and it goes back in the drawer when I remember how bad the battery is and how annoying the lack of AWS support is...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Google has a Cyber Monday sale for the 5X.

Those are the prices they should have been at. The sale special price for the 32GB model is decent enough...although the 5X is more of a side-grade than an upgrade in my stable.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I think I'd get the 6P if I were getting a new Nexus. I thought I didn't like big phones, but I got spoiled by the big screen on the MXPE.

I'm happy with the MXPE at this point though, so I'm not going to get anything new for awhile. I'm not even interested in rooting it, since it runs fast as-is and there isn't any bloatware that needs to be removed.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
In a serious dogfight this week in the fantasy football league... I'm down by 3 points (150.9 -147.6) with the kicker as my last player left to get in the action tomorrow night. Sorry Laura, i bet against your Browns and Tucker is my kicker...chaos is happening in the league this week and if i tomorrow night and next week, I'll be in the playoffs as the #6 seed...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think I'd get the 6P if I were getting a new Nexus. I thought I didn't like big phones, but I got spoiled by the big screen on the MXPE.

I'm happy with the MXPE at this point though, so I'm not going to get anything new for awhile. I'm not even interested in rooting it, since it runs fast as-is and there isn't any bloatware that needs to be removed.

I liked the 6P. Only problem is it lacks the key feature for me...Qi. Qualcomm is to debut the 820, which supposedly has Qi support for metal chassis phones. I like big screens, but i think my limit is now 5.5".

Posted via Xperia Z3

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm torn between going big screen on the 6P and XL or getting the 5X and the XL...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I did enjoy the MXPE quite a bit. Great screen, very good feel in the hand. The wooden back was awesome as well. The camera was a let down though for me. I'll post some pics tomorrow from the N5, some stellar night shots of Vegas.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I think my body is against me returning to work.

It seems a common thing for me as well. Go on vacation and then get a cold prior to returning to work. :/

I've decided to go in. Not sure if I'll last the day. I didn't sleep much at all.

Ah well, such is life.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That was a lot of phone talk. I'll stick to my Z3 for the moment. It has everything I need for now. Would be nice to have wireless charging but it's not a deal breaker.

Still thinking about the Z5 but may wait to see if Sony brings out something better.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm still not 100% happy with W10 on my current laptop. I'll have to see about a trade in or something.

I've had a couple of annoyances but on the whole it's been an OK experience. Nothing special.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I think my body is against me returning to work.

It seems a common thing for me as well. Go on vacation and then get a cold prior to returning to work. :/

I've decided to go in. Not sure if I'll last the day. I didn't sleep much at all.

Ah well, such is life.
I hope you'll be feeling better soon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6