WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Weather is all messed up here. It's going to be a high of 13C today. It's already 10C. This is way too warm fur this time of year!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

It's doing great... Love it! I don't regret my decision one bit. It's blazing fast at everything. The "specs" obviously don't matter, as the proof is in the pudding as they say. The actual real world performance is what "wows" me. Launching apps, switching between them, and general app performance is stellar. Take the camera app for example; the launch app to saved picture time is super fast.

Speaking of the camera, (and this is coming from a former 1020, and more recently a 1520 user) the imaging is top notch. For my needs, the 6S Plus' camera is more than enough.. especially with all the camera apps available that have full access to the camera API, like Pro Shot for example. Heck, I even have the real Instagram now! All this means a much more flexible camera for me, save for DNG/RAW support, but honestly, I could probably count on one hand how many times I've used that. If I really need to shoot a RAW image, I still have my 1520 ;)

Im going to write up a full review (from a Windows Phone user's perspective) soon. But, before my stint with Windows Phone, over the last 3-4 years (two 920s, two 1020s, and a 1520), I actually came from 4 generations of iPhones, starting with the original, all the way through the 4S where I "switched". So I'm back to familiar territory here, so to speak. A lot has changed yes, but for the better! iOS has evolved and improved so much. I have been keeping up with things with my iPad Air 2, but now back to using it as my daily driver phone, I see what I've been missing! It's just a luxurious experience.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm still a big fan of WP, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm just going to wait it out patiently (and contently) from the sidelines with my 6S Plus and all my apps. I'll still keep up with everything on my 1520, as I've spent a small fortune on paid apps on this platform as well... and when the time comes, and the "Surface Phones" are all the rage, and have all the apps and services that I want and need, I'll happily jump back onboard with a "Windows Phone" as my daily driver.

Well i guess that those phone cameras reached certain point where you really can't tell the difference anymore.
Remember those old VGA 1.8 or something cameras?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think my body is against me returning to work.

It seems a common thing for me as well. Go on vacation and then get a cold prior to returning to work. :/

I've decided to go in. Not sure if I'll last the day. I didn't sleep much at all.

Ah well, such is life.

My mind and body are feeling what you're feeling...and i haven't even been on vacation...

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That was a lot of phone talk. I'll stick to my Z3 for the moment. It has everything I need for now. Would be nice to have wireless charging but it's not a deal breaker.

Still thinking about the Z5 but may wait to see if Sony brings out something better.

Sounds like you'll be waiting for another 2 years.

I don't think Sony can do better. Only areas they can improve on is the camera department. Sony is in a decent place design wise. They need fresh look, better cameras, better marketing, faster updates. People who aren't in the know don't casually buy Sony phones.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Tough decisions lay ahead. Gonna need more than a few Guinness go figure these things out...

Posted via Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

People who aren't in the know don't casually buy Sony phones.

Posted via Xperia Z3

I think anyone buying a phone should take the time to know what they're buying. Unfortunately they don't and walk away disappointed or with the wrong phone. 98% of the time due to the store clerks.

Whether I buy a Sony again or something else will come down to how I feel about it. I know I won't buy a Samsung because I simply don't like them. Other than that I'm pretty open to what I buy.

There are people already on this site returning the 950/950XL or trying to sell it off. Simply because they thought it was something it's not. I personally wouldn't touch W10M on a new phone for at least 3-6 months from now. It's still too beta for me and I'm tired of being a beta tester.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Get a 950 or XL :wink:

Nope. Not going to happen. I don't like they way the phone looks and I W10M is missing too many of the apps I like to use or anything comparable.

I'm sticking to Android until W10M grows up some more, if it ever does...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh if anyone is interested in how Finland feels about the new MS phones. Most of the stores steer people clear of all Lumia phones. We had a guest over last week who went to get a L640 and they told her that the phone was garbage and she should get a Samsung S6.

So it's not just the US that has this issue and I already know that happens here too.

Go into a store not knowing what you want and you'll walk out with a phone you didn't intend to buy.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

I can imagine Finnish people would be quite upset with the ms/Nokia deal so this isn't a huge shock. Still pretty shocking practice but not unexpected.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Oh if anyone is interested in how Finland feels about the new MS phones. Most of the stores steer people clear of all Lumia phones. We had a guest over last week who went to get a L640 and they told her that the phone was garbage and she should get a Samsung S6.

So it's not just the US that has this issue and I already know that happens here too.

Go into a store not knowing what you want and you'll walk out with a phone you didn't intend to buy.

The 640 isn't a bad phone...99'll swear by is as his new 822. There is a market for people who are on a budget that want something that works well enough and are platform agnostic. So in that regard, it is fine if people buy lower end Android (like the Moto G/Idol 3/One Plus X) or the WP offerings.

The problem is the 950 is good but not great...and MSFT was never positiong it to be a hero phone either. I like the XL only because of how disappointed i was with the feel in hand of the 950. The 950 is cheaper and maybe if i get an XL at the $400 price point, i may be interested.

My thing has always been...do your research and know what you want. Sales clerks are there to sell because they've got to and pay bills too. If you know what you want and are realistic with your expectations, you'll find value for money.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think anyone buying a phone should take the time to know what they're buying. Unfortunately they don't and walk away disappointed or with the wrong phone. 98% of the time due to the store clerks.

Whether I buy a Sony again or something else will come down to how I feel about it. I know I won't buy a Samsung because I simply don't like them. Other than that I'm pretty open to what I buy.

There are people already on this site returning the 950/950XL or trying to sell it off. Simply because they thought it was something it's not. I personally wouldn't touch W10M on a new phone for at least 3-6 months from now. It's still too beta for me and I'm tired of being a beta tester.

The truth is, the market is saturated. These two phones are the phones MSFT should have released LAST year. Drop the 805 processor and throw out the USB type C...and sell these for $100 less than their current prices. If these phones are for the fans, i don't know who they're catering to when the market wants good hardware at a cheaper price point due to the saturation levels.

Yes, i sound like an armchair CEO, but the cancellation of the McLaren was smart...the problem is there was not filler alternative ready at the time. Had MSFT released these last year or even the start of this year with the current specs, they'd be able to use these fillers to get them to Q2-Q3 2016 in better shape to drop the convergence devices.

I agree with the Jason Ward article on MSFT's long play. The problem is MSFT needed a more polished offering on Windows 10 from launch. The real reason why i haven't gone hard for either the XL or 950 is the same reason why I'm on the fence for the Z5 - they're not true upgrades. The stand out features aren't as standout anymore. The 950's camera seems to be among the best, but not class leading. The Z5's camera is among the best, but not class leading. Waterproofing is nice, but Sony is selling it as water resistance now...something that doesn't matter to many folks. Both the Z5 and 950 have slightly uninteresting designs.

There just isn't enough reason to buy either the Z5 or the 950. If i had to pick one, I'd want to go with the 950 because a better camera on my secondary device is welcomed. But as of right now, my stable is good enough.

Both are ******* overpriced, it's not even funny.

Posted via Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The 640 isn't a bad phone...99'll swear by is as his new 822. There is a market for people who are on a budget that want something that works well enough and are platform agnostic. So in that regard, it is fine if people buy lower end Android (like the Moto G/Idol 3/One Plus X) or the WP offerings.

The problem is the 950 is good but not great...and MSFT was never positiong it to be a hero phone either. I like the XL only because of how disappointed i was with the feel in hand of the 950. The 950 is cheaper and maybe if i get an XL at the $400 price point, i may be interested.

My thing has always been...do your research and know what you want. Sales clerks are there to sell because they've got to and pay bills too. If you know what you want and are realistic with your expectations, you'll find value for money.

Posted via Xperia Z3

The lady was all set to buy a L640 as her first smartphone but got turned off buying any phone due to the store clerks attitude and then getting worried about the phone. So no sale for the sales clerk at all for being a jerk.

She doesn't need a super powerful phone. The L640 would have suited her just fine. Thing is sales clerks just want the money. That's their job. Unfortunately the intimidate people who don't know any better and that's truly sad.

I told the other person who was her to go with her next time she's ready and just get the phone she wants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99