WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm helping the GF upgrade her mom's tablet. Mom in law has the N7 2012 model.

The more I read about this, the more I like the comprises enough...the Zenpad S 8.0. It too is a tablet I'd have gotten the GF herself, but at this point she doesn't need to upgrade from her N7 2013 (I told her to have bought the 32GB model, but as all good GFs do - she didn't listen).

I was looking at the Galaxy Tab 8.4 series, but I'm not as impressed for some reason.

Honestly, if I was starting out with a tablet now, I'd get the Zenpad S myself...moreso the $299 version. Still, the $199 model is plently for mother-in-law. She's still on a Galaxy S3, so we'll let her new husband worry about upgrading that...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So I'm helping the GF upgrade her mom's tablet. Mom in law has the N7 2012 model.

The more I read about this, the more I like the comprises enough...the Zenpad S 8.0. It too is a tablet I'd have gotten the GF herself, but at this point she doesn't need to upgrade from her N7 2013 (I told her to have bought the 32GB model, but as all good GFs do - she didn't listen).

I was looking at the Galaxy Tab 8.4 series, but I'm not as impressed for some reason.

Honestly, if I was starting out with a tablet now, I'd get the Zenpad S myself...moreso the $299 version. Still, the $199 model is plently for mother-in-law. She's still on a Galaxy S3, so we'll let her new husband worry about upgrading that...

So..it's been ordered. $200 nets me the Zenpad + a case + a tempered glass screen protector for the same price Best Buy is selling the tablet only for. I think I have a spare 32GB card at home I'll format and stick in there to just be nice so mother-in-law's got more than enough space than she'll ever need.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

So..it's been ordered. $200 nets me the Zenpad + a case + a tempered glass screen protector for the same price Best Buy is selling the tablet only for. I think I have a spare 32GB card at home I'll format and stick in there to just be nice so mother-in-law's got more than enough space than she'll ever need.

If the Zenpad gets the Marshmallow update, I don't recommend using the microSD card as adoptable storage. That means that the card cannot be used with any other device.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If the Zenpad gets the Marshmallow update, I don't recommend using the microSD card as adoptable storage. That means that the card cannot be used with any other device.

For mother-in-law, that won't matter, as she's one of those non swapping cards type.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It has a better shot of getting marshmallow thany of the other Samsung tablets out there...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

When I finally get 6.0 for the Z3 the first thing I'm doing is converting the SD card to adaptable storage.

I don't swap SD cards so it's a no brainer for me. 😸

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So this weekend and pretty much all time off will be about the house.

Did I mention I bought a 'renovators delight'?

I'll take before and after pics and post them when done.

I'm just happy to be at this point. It's been a long drag. Now everything is going to go mental...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes i wonder if it just me only these days but i feel very saturated with mobile tech. I'm sure OEMs are working hard to find news ways to keep their hands in our pockets, but it feels like the large scale days of innovation are over.

If i were buying a phone today, the options are so vast that you really cannot **** up your choice if you have an inkling of an idea as to what you want. I felt like this for 2014 as well.

As curious as i about how 2016 will shake out, there's a sense of fatigue that has set in for me.

Posted via Xperia Z3

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So, if i were buying tech this year, what would i get? Ideas here are to balance value for money, camera, battery life and overall performance.

Phone: LG G4 (runner up, Lumia 950)

Budget phone: Moto G (Runners up: Idol 3/Zenphone 2)

Wearable: MSFT Band 2 (runner up, Zenwatch 2)

Tablet: Asus Zenpad S 8.0 (runner up, none)

Streaming device: Shield TV (Runner up, Chromecast)

Posted via Xperia Z3

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As curious as i about how 2016 will shake out, there's a sense of fatigue that has set in for me.

Posted via Xperia Z3

I'll go with fatigue but for me I feel it's also an age thing. I've loved tech for a large portion of my life and in some ways I'm sort of over it being so invasive.

I'm slightly disappointed with technology at this moment in time. As much as I like where MS is heading it's still a slow drag and the other two haven't done much lately to add any satisfaction.

I feel we are at stagnation point in mobile tech. The only thing really left is having one device for everything at this moment in time. Unfortunately that seems a way off still with the slow creep of CPU/RAM implementation and all the other limiting factors.

So we wait for some huge change to come which is probably sitting on some shelf at the moment...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

If i were upgrading out of boredom, what would i get from 2015?

Priv to replace my Moto Maxx.
950 to replace my Z3.
Band 2 to replace my wearables.
Zenpad S to replace my Z3 Tablet Compact.
Shield TV to replace my Fire Stick.

On this list what would i actually do? The Shield TV only, of course...

Posted via Xperia Z3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99