WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I understand it, but I have a biology degree and worked in a chemical lab for 11 years. All of the measurements used SI units.
The British gallon is different than the US one. I believe the mile may be different as well...

The US basically has it's own measurements...

Saying that the UK can't seem to let go of the mile, which is frustrating as everything else is metric. Oh and their weight system still uses 'stone' for some unknown reason.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

What I do know is that water freezes at 0?C which makes more sense than 32?F
Metric system all works together. First it starts off with defining the metre. Check the wiki for that as I'm not explaining it...

The metre is than used as a bassis for other measurements.

Than with weight and temperature it's all water based. Zero is when water freezes and 100C is when it boils.

For weight what happens is that you take 0.1m and cube it. The volume is than filled with water and that weight is the kilogram. The liquid volume is equal to 1 litre.

As you can see it all works together. That's why anyone used to the metric system finds the US one bonkers.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The British gallon is different than the US one. I believe the mile may be different as well...

The US basically has it's own measurements...

Saying that the UK can't seem to let go of the mile, which is frustrating as everything else is metric. Oh and their weight system still uses 'stone' for some unknown reason.
I have a Boddingtons glass that is an official Imperial pint.
4db5affe9abfbfd0ffedae02fe983858.jpg

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Metric system all works together. First it starts off with defining the metre. Check the wiki for that as I'm not explaining it...

The metre is than used as a bassis for other measurements.

Than with weight and temperature it's all water based. Zero is when water freezes and 100C is when it boils.

For weight what happens is that you take 0.1m and cube it. The volume is than filled with water and that weight is the kilogram. The liquid volume is equal to 1 litre.

As you can see it all works together. That's why anyone used to the metric system finds the US one bonkers.

Fun fact: Both kilogram and metre measurements are based on a bar and a roller-shaped figure kept in Louvre, Paris.
They are 90% platinum and 10% iridium.

I'm so nerd.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

What I do know is that water freezes at 0?C which makes more sense than 32?F

Well, Kelvins make even more sense. At least to me.
273.16 K are equal to 0?C.
How does it makes sense? Well, it is based on absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature, as you can guess it is 0 K (-273.16?C), unlike the Celsius which Rue explained previously.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Well, Kelvins make even more sense. At least to me.
273.16 K are equal to 0?C.
How does it makes sense? Well, it is based on absolute zero, the lowest possible temperature, as you can guess it is 0 K (-273.16?C), unlike the Celsius which Rue explained previously.

I made a program to calculate that. Long story short I think kelvin is complicated :p

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Looks like another quite night :p and I had Time to get half way done with that list rue posted up.to be honest I must not be into old school rock besides AC DC. I do like tool which isn't on that list :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Looks like another quite nightand I had Time to get half way done with that list rue posted up.to be honest I must not be into old school rock besides AC DC. I do like tool which isn't on that list :p
Nothing wrong with not liking some music. I wouldn't call Tool old rock though...

I just was recently reminded of another group I liked back in the 90s. Look up Skunk Anansie if you want something a little different.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I woke up early and I'm getting the earlier train. I don't mind as it allows me to leave work earlier.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

So our house still looks like a construction site. We move in Feb 18th. Should be an interesting 17 days...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Nothing wrong with not liking some music. I wouldn't call Tool old rock though...

I just was recently reminded of another group I liked back in the 90s. Look up Skunk Anansie if you want something a little different.

Alrighty that I can look up :)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So my supervisor scheduled me off today when she shouldn't have (*facepalm*). So while i should take advantage of the mistake, there are some patients i do need to follow up with, so I'm headed into work.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs