WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes you yearn for the things of your childhood, not because your yearn for your childhood, but you yearn for the pleasant memories of that moment in your childhood.

Thoroughly confused? Here's what I mean.

There are some homemade treats I enjoyed as a child. One is what some people may call a "peanut brittle". Pretty much you get brown sugar, peanuts and a few other things (grated ginger, for example)...throw it all in a pot so the sugar melts and gets everything sticky. You pour out the mixture on thin bits of parchment or cookie paper in evenly spaced blobs and let them cool. They ended up in circular style shapes, like cookies sort of.

As an adult, the sugar content is through the roof. If I ate that now, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. So why mention this?

As a kid on a Friday night we would sit on the porch, especially on the summers. Every Friday night at a certain time, you'd hear the whistle coming up the street and well knew what it was. There was a young guy in the neighborhood who would push a homemade cart with a small, slow burning wood fire box at the end. What he would do is go up and down every street... selling peanut based treats. You could get roasted peanuts still in the shells that he was roasting in the firebox. Those were warm, unsalted and smoky in flavor. The problem is, you'd have to shell them yourself. And hanging from the side of the cart was this hung ring of the individually wrapped peanut brittle in clear plastic bags.

So you'd stop the cart as he is going by...he'd never pull up to you front of your gate as a safety issue for him. If cars were passing he'd pull over into the other shoulder. Remember, this is traveling Street vendor with money on him - safety first. If you don't want any, you let him go by. He wasn't the only person who did this. Eventually, he added the coconut version to these where you'd grate the coconut into bite sized chunks and swap the peanuts out instead.

Anyone who really knows anything about shrimp knows you can both freshwater and saltwater shrimp. Freshwater shrimp are slightly different. We used to eat these too from small clear plastic bags. These were cured, then heavily coated with peppers and spices. You eat these whole - head and all. Best ones to eat where the pregnant female shrimp too. Yup, a traveling street vendor was how I would eat these, outside of road trips to near where the shrimp farms are.

Also, we had an ice cream man do this too, riding through with two large buckets of ice cream (surrounded by dry ice to keep the cream cold especially on blistering tropcial Sunday afternoons) on a bicycle. Same rules applied. We were working folk and never kept ice cream in the house growing up. I'd have ice cream either like this or when I went to mall. Mostly as a kid, this was how I ate ice cream...one a cone from a traveling weekend street vendor.

I'm in a mood to share a childhood memory, hence the long post. So while some people may have gone to the movies or fishing as their childhood memories, this is one of my favorites from my childhood. We got to knew our street vendors like this so even though there were a few traveling ones, we always bought stuff from the same guys. The young guy and his brother sold the coconut and roasted peanuts - Friday evenings. A middle aged man sold the ice cream - Saturday evenings, but mostly Sunday afternoons. And an wiry old man with a white beard on a Honda 50 bike sold the shrimp - Sunday afternoons. Others passed through, but those were who we liked and bought stuff from. I heard stories about what happened to them...some ended in tragedy too (like the ice cream guy who was murdered).

Would I eat those things now? Yes...and no. I have ice cream at home in my fridge, but even now that's a great something i buy occasionally. I know how to make the peanut brittle myself and buy it occasionally, but the sugar content keeps it on the rarer side for me. And I have had the shrimp like that in years, I do yearn for it periodically.

I guess it is about the little things that matter as a little kid, the memories makes those childhood things...much better as a child.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I almost feel like starting a childhood memories thread...not sure if it's going to get much traction around here...but it'd be a fun read, for sure with a community as big and as diverse....

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I almost feel like starting a childhood memories thread...not sure if it's going to get much traction around here...but it'd be a fun read, for sure with a community as big and as diverse....

I say go for it! I would enjoy it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Sometimes you yearn for the things of your childhood, not because your yearn for your childhood, but you yearn for the pleasant memories of that moment in your childhood.

Thoroughly confused? Here's what I mean.

There are some homemade treats I enjoyed as a child. One is what some people may call a "peanut brittle". Pretty much you get brown sugar, peanuts and a few other things (grated ginger, for example)...throw it all in a pot so the sugar melts and gets everything sticky. You pour out the mixture on thin bits of parchment or cookie paper in evenly spaced blobs and let them cool. They ended up in circular style shapes, like cookies sort of.

As an adult, the sugar content is through the roof. If I ate that now, I wouldn't enjoy it as much. So why mention this?

As a kid on a Friday night we would sit on the porch, especially on the summers. Every Friday night at a certain time, you'd hear the whistle coming up the street and well knew what it was. There was a young guy in the neighborhood who would push a homemade cart with a small, slow burning wood fire box at the end. What he would do is go up and down every street... selling peanut based treats. You could get roasted peanuts still in the shells that he was roasting in the firebox. Those were warm, unsalted and smoky in flavor. The problem is, you'd have to shell them yourself. And hanging from the side of the cart was this hung ring of the individually wrapped peanut brittle in clear plastic bags.

So you'd stop the cart as he is going by...he'd never pull up to you front of your gate as a safety issue for him. If cars were passing he'd pull over into the other shoulder. Remember, this is traveling Street vendor with money on him - safety first. If you don't want any, you let him go by. He wasn't the only person who did this. Eventually, he added the coconut version to these where you'd grate the coconut into bite sized chunks and swap the peanuts out instead.

Anyone who really knows anything about shrimp knows you can both freshwater and saltwater shrimp. Freshwater shrimp are slightly different. We used to eat these too from small clear plastic bags. These were cured, then heavily coated with peppers and spices. You eat these whole - head and all. Best ones to eat where the pregnant female shrimp too. Yup, a traveling street vendor was how I would eat these, outside of road trips to near where the shrimp farms are.

Also, we had an ice cream man do this too, riding through with two large buckets of ice cream (surrounded by dry ice to keep the cream cold especially on blistering tropcial Sunday afternoons) on a bicycle. Same rules applied. We were working folk and never kept ice cream in the house growing up. I'd have ice cream either like this or when I went to mall. Mostly as a kid, this was how I ate ice cream...one a cone from a traveling weekend street vendor.

I'm in a mood to share a childhood memory, hence the long post. So while some people may have gone to the movies or fishing as their childhood memories, this is one of my favorites from my childhood. We got to knew our street vendors like this so even though there were a few traveling ones, we always bought stuff from the same guys. The young guy and his brother sold the coconut and roasted peanuts - Friday evenings. A middle aged man sold the ice cream - Saturday evenings, but mostly Sunday afternoons. And an wiry old man with a white beard on a Honda 50 bike sold the shrimp - Sunday afternoons. Others passed through, but those were who we liked and bought stuff from. I heard stories about what happened to them...some ended in tragedy too (like the ice cream guy who was murdered).

Would I eat those things now? Yes...and no. I have ice cream at home in my fridge, but even now that's a great something i buy occasionally. I know how to make the peanut brittle myself and buy it occasionally, but the sugar content keeps it on the rarer side for me. And I have had the shrimp like that in years, I do yearn for it periodically.

I guess it is about the little things that matter as a little kid, the memories makes those childhood things...much better as a child.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Ah, childhood memories.

I wish I had such good memories. Unfortunately not many of mine are that great. There's not much I miss from my childhood nor from where I grew up. Not saying my childhood was miserable just nothing that sticks out as special.

Probably for me it was places rather than food that I remember more fondly. It might have something to do with my wander lust as well. I didn't travel much when I was younger but my favourite memories are from being by the lake or bike riding through the park or other places. I did long trips on my bike. I didn't like to hang around the neighbourhood much or be around home.

Even now there's not much I miss from Toronto. I miss Australia more than I do the country I grew up in. That's simply down to the difference in life experience in the two places.

Life is a strange journey. Funny how you can feel more at home away from your place of birth.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I have to say I've run into a couple of things that out right **** me off about Window 10 for PC.

First is that it keeps reverting my saved and applied settings for my trackpad. I've had to uninstall the software a couple of times now in hope of it not doing that. Every time Windows does an update if screws everything up...

Next is that I'm having networking issues with my wife's laptop. I have a NAS and I can't seem to reach the damn thing. I found a couple of more things to try out so hopefully something works.

Thing is, everyone keeps wondering why people leave Windows, it's things like this that do it. It's 2016, things should be a lot simpler than this. With Win 7 and Win 8 everything worked just fine, now with W10 everything is a complete pain. If I was a company I wouldn't touch W10 with a 30m pole...

They keep this up I just may join the Apple club... (not really but I'm bloody annoyed enough to)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know but now it is 300$ instead of 400. :)

There was a better deal to be had where you can get the plain Jane plastic backed 32GB model for $350. If i were to have gotten an X 2015, that's what I'd buy it at.

But I'll pass and still try to get a G4 instead. Since I'm not selling the Maxx, i don't usually like to have two phones from the same OEM in my house...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Ah, childhood memories.

I wish I had such good memories. Unfortunately not many of mine are that great. There's not much I miss from my childhood nor from where I grew up. Not saying my childhood was miserable just nothing that sticks out as special.

Probably for me it was places rather than food that I remember more fondly. It might have something to do with my wander lust as well. I didn't travel much when I was younger but my favourite memories are from being by the lake or bike riding through the park or other places. I did long trips on my bike. I didn't like to hang around the neighbourhood much or be around home.

Even now there's not much I miss from Toronto. I miss Australia more than I do the country I grew up in. That's simply down to the difference in life experience in the two places.

Life is a strange journey. Funny how you can feel more at home away from your place of birth.

I know that feeling all too well...also know the feeling well of not finding a country to be fully comfortable in yet...life is indeed strange but in a beautiful and interesting sort of way...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have to say I've run into a couple of things that out right **** me off about Window 10 for PC.

First is that it keeps reverting my saved and applied settings for my trackpad. I've had to uninstall the software a couple of times now in hope of it not doing that. Every time Windows does an update if screws everything up...

Next is that I'm having networking issues with my wife's laptop. I have a NAS and I can't seem to reach the damn thing. I found a couple of more things to try out so hopefully something works.

Thing is, everyone keeps wondering why people leave Windows, it's things like this that do it. It's 2016, things should be a lot simpler than this. With Win 7 and Win 8 everything worked just fine, now with W10 everything is a complete pain. If I was a company I wouldn't touch W10 with a 30m pole...

They keep this up I just may join the Apple club... (not really but I'm bloody annoyed enough to)

This is why I'm glad my desktop cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 (driver issues) and i refuse to update my T100. What i have in 8.1 works just fine for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss