WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I think I forgot to share this. Took it earlier in the week after passing by the MSFT store. This is Broadway & W. 53rd St, looking down towards Times Square. Some zoom involved, but not a lot. Just regular point and shoot....

Sahib, if you zoom into the picture, that thing above the 2016 sign is the famous Times Square ball that they drop every year during New Year's Eve. Yup, the camera is impressive...

G4 Approved

Attachments

• 10825.jpg
    10825.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 7

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Got my code! I've also got one code for anyone who plays on a PS4... any takers? It's only good for today and tomorrow...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's interesting looking at the MSFT online store to see what is being sold.

M8's from Verizon and AT&T are about $300 brand new with no contract. So is the 640XL. The 650 looks interesting but with no T-Mobile bands support, that's a pass for me. Of course the only thing T-Mobile is selling there is the Lumia 435.

I'm not surprised that what's being pushed is the 950 and the 950 XL. As much as I like the look of Windows 10 on my M8 to some degree, there is a slight staleness creeping in...and honestly, it's not just for Windows. Android and iOS are doing what they can to keep consumers interested.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh yeah.. My PC is gonna run this game just fine! In fact it runs buttery smooth! It's a throwback to the good old Quake III Arena days!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Now, I'm not down on MSFT. In fact, it is better they do well because they can push Apple and Google. One of the best examples was the Insider program. Notice how after MSFT did that and opened things up, Apple offered beta preview not long after.

The point though is that if the platform doesn't pick up speed, it'll still be a niche sort of offering but with people having to deal with the desktop components because Windows is so pervasive. We'll see. I'm hopeful things get better. If they do, maybe I'll move my M8 to get newer hardware. Otherwise, I'll just be one of those folks who'll use parts of the platform and not have a reason to become fully vested.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Mini Review for the Hp envy note 8

Intro:
The reason why I got this tablet, this 8in tablet was because my HP stream 7 was in need of a upgrade since I would run out of ram fairly quickly. I picked the envy note 8 because I wanted a tablet that was light, had the things I needed and all for a good price. I also needed a tablet that I could write on. Luckily I can with this tablet. That being said here are my thoughts of HP Envy Note 8.

Specs:
Ill just link the spec sheet hereHP ENVY 8 Note Tablet - 5002 | HP? Official Store.
What I will say about the specs is that it works with the Uses i use it for. I mainly use it for reading articles or books for school maybe some YouTube here and there but mainly for reading. What I found was the battery life is spot on with what it says it can last. i can get 6 hours out of it. That is with 25% brightness( its bright at 40%). One thing to note is that it takes 5 hours from a dead battery to a full charge.

Hardware:
It kind of reminds me of a surface mashed together with a Nokia Lumia 930. The way it felt in the hands was like the polycarb shell of the 930 but the squared off edges of the surface. It works with the device. also it has the standard layout buttons a headphone jack on top with the oddly placed speaker on top but it sounds better than bottom Mounted speaker. Orange power button on the side with the volume rocker below it. the buttons are mushy at best. they could be better. Here are some images i took with my ipod IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0572.JPG

Display: it Has a 1080p IPS display. In my opinion the colors are accurate. also i have the scalling set to 175 because 200 is way to big. While talking about the display it uses Wacom. The Pen writing experience is pretty good. I can write all the way to the Edge and the ink looks like there is not latency for what i use it for.

Benchmark: ill just let the pictures do all the talking I'm not into the whole benchmarking thing but others might be interested in it. . Screenshot (6).jpgScreenshot (7).jpgScreenshot (8).jpgScreenshot (9).png

Camera: its like any other tablet camera. you used one you see them all.

Conclusion:
while it may not be a workhorse for anyone doing serious work. it does fit for what i need it for. sure it could be a better battery that last longer and more ram but for 250$ ill take it. its an upgrade from my stream 7. would i recommend it to anyone who needs it for reading. YUP! from a score of 1-10 i give it a solid 8

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I think I forgot to share this. Took it earlier in the week after passing by the MSFT store. This is Broadway & W. 53rd St, looking down towards Times Square. Some zoom involved, but not a lot. Just regular point and shoot....

Sahib, if you zoom into the picture, that thing above the 2016 sign is the famous Times Square ball that they drop every year during New Year's Eve. Yup, the camera is impressive...

G4 Approved
OH i see it . i had to tilt my head a bit though :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Mini Review for the Hp envy note 8

Intro:
The reason why I got this tablet, this 8in tablet was because my HP stream 7 was in need of a upgrade since I would run out of ram fairly quickly. I picked the envy note 8 because I wanted a tablet that was light, had the things I needed and all for a good price. I also needed a tablet that I could write on. Luckily I can with this tablet. That being said here are my thoughts of HP Envy Note 8.

Specs:
Ill just link the spec sheet hereHP ENVY 8 Note Tablet - 5002 | HP? Official Store.
What I will say about the specs is that it works with the Uses i use it for. I mainly use it for reading articles or books for school maybe some YouTube here and there but mainly for reading. What I found was the battery life is spot on with what it says it can last. i can get 6 hours out of it. That is with 25% brightness( its bright at 40%). One thing to note is that it takes 5 hours from a dead battery to a full charge.

Hardware:
It kind of reminds me of a surface mashed together with a Nokia Lumia 930. The way it felt in the hands was like the polycarb shell of the 930 but the squared off edges of the surface. It works with the device. also it has the standard layout buttons a headphone jack on top with the oddly placed speaker on top but it sounds better than bottom Mounted speaker. Orange power button on the side with the volume rocker below it. the buttons are mushy at best. they could be better. Here are some images i took with my ipod View attachment 124635 View attachment 124636

Display: it Has a 1080p IPS display. In my opinion the colors are accurate. also i have the scalling set to 175 because 200 is way to big. While talking about the display it uses Wacom. The Pen writing experience is pretty good. I can write all the way to the Edge and the ink looks like there is not latency for what i use it for.

Benchmark: ill just let the pictures do all the talking I'm not into the whole benchmarking thing but others might be interested in it. . View attachment 124631View attachment 124632View attachment 124633View attachment 124634

Camera: its like any other tablet camera. you used one you see them all.

Conclusion:
while it may not be a workhorse for anyone doing serious work. it does fit for what i need it for. sure it could be a better battery that last longer and more ram but for 250$ ill take it. its an upgrade from my stream 7. would i recommend it to anyone who needs it for reading. YUP! from a score of 1-10 i give it a solid 8
Nice review! 😊 Thanks for sharing it with us.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Sahib, keep an eye out for this with the Band 2. MSFT has a page for how to care for Band that you should bookmark.

The GF has reported (and I've seen it) a rash on the hand around the two round contact points on the section of the band that clips in that rests on the skin. There is a thread in the OG Band about this issue too. Looks like it's a result of the sweat and issue of that causing corrosion possibly. The GF was fine but developed the rash over the past two weeks. The GF plans to try cleaning hers more often over the week (she does heavy workouts and sweats alot) to see if that helps and if not she may take it in to get it exchanged.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I'm officially tired after driving 120 miles in LA traffic today....but since I'm a glutton for punishment, tomorrow I get to drive 180 miles.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Sahib, keep an eye out for this with the Band 2. MSFT has a page for how to care for Band that you should bookmark.

The GF has reported (and I've seen it) a rash on the hand around the two round contact points on the section of the band that clips in that rests on the skin. There is a thread in the OG Band about this issue too. Looks like it's a result of the sweat and issue of that causing corrosion possibly. The GF was fine but developed the rash over the past two weeks. The GF plans to try cleaning hers more often over the week (she does heavy workouts and sweats alot) to see if that helps and if not she may take it in to get it exchanged.

I'm looking for that page. cant seem to find it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12