WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Was up late last night battling in team deathmatch in the Doom closed beta.. OMG the return of QUAD DAMAGE! (Among other things) can't wait for this game to come out next month l!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Too bad the beta only runs until midnight tonight... and I've got to work a double today. :(

I should be able to get one more hour or so in tonight when I get home.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Cold and windy day here in NYC.

On the bright side, picked up some Stubbs' BBQ sauce for my salmon today. This is a very good sauce, so I'm looking to see how it shakes out. If I'm adventurous enough, I may put a smear on my turkey burgers too and treat it like A1 in that regard.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'll do a mini-review of the G4, simply because I don't think the experience will change that much over the next week. I'll also focus more on my needs since this phone has been extensively reviewed.

Quick hits:

Pros: Camera, display, design (leather is the best choice), weight, removable battery, expandable storage

Cons: Battery life, processor at times has lag, speaker is useless

Meh: LG's UI, audio, not that much of an upgrade over the Maxx

LG G4 over Moto Maxx:

- Better camera, better base software support, expandable storage, lighter in hand, better screen to bezel ratio, removable battery

Moto Maxx over LG4:

- Slightly more useful OEM software add-ons, bigger battery (3900mah vs 3000mah), more compact design, Qi built in, better cellular radios (Nokia and Moto were always top 2 with this)

I wanted a nice phone with a good camera for a change. My trip to Miami with the GF highlighted my need for something with a more consistent point and shoog experience while i learned to be a better photog. I didn't want to pass 5.5" as screen size. Sony wasn't going to offer anything better than the Z3; Samsung I just don't buy anymore; HTC hasn't had a good camera in a while (the A9's battery woes and price makes it a no go); One plus Two wasn't appealing and the X 2015 was too big.

In the context of why I bought it, the G4 is a great compliment to my Moto Maxx. It improves on the camera big time, and for really high stress days, a swappable battery is a nice thing to have.

I'm using the unlocked H815 model on T-Mobile. I live in a notorious dead spot for unlocked phones in NJ. Data speeds on this thing in NYC are delightful and very good where I live, considering the conditions. I installed 6.0.1 and did a factory reset. So I'm only talking about my 6.0.1 experiences. I don't use Google Now on Tap. Don't have a reason why but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I do love the Doze feature as it makes standby on this phone, especially when in flight mode, really get the most out of the battery. The leather back feels good in hand...so good that this is the first phone in a while I've owned (iPhone 4) using without a case and only a screen protector installed.

It took a while to remember how light this phone is (the Flex 2 was equally lightweight). The screen is gorgeous and is great to use at night because it doesn't get overly bright and wreck your eyes in the dark. The camera is top notch and delivers much more details than the Maxx. I'm really looking forward to using in the spring and summer here in NYC.

To mitigate the UI some, I'm using Nova as my launcher. Arrow and the latest Xperia home concept launcher are also on board but Nova is doing a nice job. I don't think LG's UI is bad, they just need to pair it back some.

Bottom line:

I'd recommend the G4 to anyone at the current prices especially. The phone is very solid and I think the only things held it back are LG's UI (an acquired taste that has some serious gems in it), the processor itself (more importantly the GPU pushing the display), and most importantly the battery life. 6.0.1 has made a huge difference but when you start to use the phone it can be a gas guzzler. Still, like the Flex 2 before it, one of the best price to ratio phones currently and I'd argue it was the phone of the year in 2015 (outside of the Note line of course).

Problem was LG hasn't found the secret sauce to get the phone to really sell.

G4 Approved

Last edited:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Was up late last night battling in team deathmatch in the Doom closed beta.. OMG the return of QUAD DAMAGE! (Among other things) can't wait for this game to come out next month l!

You really are enjoying your new gaming rig :p! I wouldn't blame you though you do have a nice set up to play all the games you wanna play

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

So I'll do a mini-review of the G4, simply because I don't think the experience will change that much over the next week. I'll also focus more on my needs since this phone has been extensively reviewed.

Quick hits:

Pros: Camera, display, design (leather is the best choice), weight, removable battery, expandable storage

Cons: Battery life, processor at times has lag, speaker is useless

Meh: LG's UI, audio, not that much of an upgrade over the Maxx

LG G4 over Moto Maxx:

- Better camera, better base software support, expandable storage, lighter in hand, better screen to bezel ratio, removable battery

Moto Maxx over LG4:

- Slightly more useful OEM software add-ons, bigger battery (3900mah vs 3000mah), more compact design, Qi built in, better cellular radios (Nokia and Moto were always top 2 with this)

I wanted a nice phone with a good camera for a change. My trip to Miami with the GF highlighted my need for something with a more consistent point and shoog experience while i learned to be a better photog. I didn't want to pass 5.5" as screen size. Sony wasn't going to offer anything better than the Z3; Samsung I just don't buy anymore; HTC hasn't had a good camera in a while (the A9's battery woes and price makes it a no go); One plus Two wasn't appealing and the X 2015 was too big.

In the context of why I bought it, the G4 is a great compliment to my Moto Maxx. It improves on the camera big time, and for really high stress days, a swappable battery is a nice thing to have.

I'm using the unlocked H815 model on T-Mobile. I live in a notorious dead spot for unlocked phones in NJ. Data speeds on this thing in NYC are delightful and very good where I live, considering the conditions. I installed 6.0.1 and did a factory reset. So I'm only talking about my 6.0.1 experiences. I don't use Google Now on Tap. Don't have a reason why but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I do love the Doze feature as it makes standby on this phone, especially when in flight mode, really get the most out of the battery. The leather back feels good in hand...so good that this is the first phone in a while I've owned (iPhone 4) using without a case and only a screen protector installed.

It took a while to remember how light this phone is (the Flex 2 was equally lightweight). The screen is gorgeous and is great to use at night because it doesn't get overly bright and wreck your eyes in the dark. The camera is top notch and delivers much more details than the Maxx. I'm really looking forward to using in the spring and summer here in NYC.

To mitigate the UI some, I'm using Nova as my launcher. Arrow and the latest Xperia home concept launcher are also on board but Nova is doing a nice job. I don't think LG's UI is bad, they just need to pair it back some.

Bottom line:

I'd recommend the G4 to anyone at the current prices especially. The phone is very solid and I think the only things held it back are LG's UI (an acquired taste that has some serious gems in it), the processor itself (more importantly the GPU pushing the display), and most importantly the battery life. 6.0.1 has made a huge difference but when you start to use the phone it can be a gas guzzler. Still, like the Flex 2 before it, one of the best price to ratio phones currently and I'd argue it was the phone of the year in 2015 (outside of the Note line of course).

Problem was LG hasn't found the secret sauce to get the phone to really sell.

G4 Approved

If only lg was closer to stock andriod. Honestly I think it would tempt me away from the nexus devices !

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

After about 8 odd hours and probably a bazillion updates later, I have Win10 on my SP3. Now I need a SP4 Type Cover and maybe the SP4 pen....

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

70 miles in LA done....in an hour I need to get ready for a 57 mile one way drive in absolutely horrendous traffic.... Almost as bad as plumbing...

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Speaking of organs, I always wanted to play a pipe organ. I knew a guy who repaired and installed pipe organs. He said he'd take me to a church when no services were happening, so I could try out a pipe organ. Unfortunately, he moved out of state.

Playing a pipe organ is something that would require assistance from someone who knows about how they work. Playing too loudly literally could damage the structure of the building.

In the Philippines, we have church famous for being host to the Bamboo Organ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster