WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

While everybody is free to express their opinions, what's made this thread the highest viewed and replied upon thread is the fact that the regulars here create an atomsphere where people can discuss anything and not get it boiled down into a petty style back and forth. Over the past few years, we've discussed race, science, religion, politics, marriage, culture, terrorism, sports, college life, careers - all with spirited debate and great respect for a difference of opinion.

Windows Central is big enough where you can have the fanboys get a thread an spat there. I'd prefer to keep that sort of stuff off here. But, if that's what people want, I'm free to ignore or simply take my contributions elsewhere. I know offline I deal with youth in crisis on a daily basis, so I technically can use the time I spend here to do other things.

Let's keep the pettiness off this thread. Otherwise, any of the many mods who float through here should just go ahead and close it now.

I'm unapologetic for my comments today, because I'm not in the mood for the bull**** and same old antics, but if people cannot allow this to be the one space and Windows Central where the disclaimer on the first page cannot be respected, why should I post here?

G4 Approved

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

You know, this must be said since I'm in a non PC mood:

Having been a regular on this particular thread for over 85% of its existence, I miss the days when we had more balanced, intellectually stimulating conversation.

Now this feels like I'm in a kiddie line with my nephew waiting for him to get a turn at the bounceabout and there's no movement in the line because there's some 35 y.o. who lives with his parents is in the bounceabout and kicking the kids out because he needs "more space to flop around".

G4 Approved
I too miss the days of balanced conversations. Not even in this case, specifically, but the forum overall where discussion could be had and debated with intelligence and not low-brow insults and completely hyperbolic and degrading analogies just for the sake of our fellow forum friends hitting the like.

Instead, it is more of an Us vs them mentality and I find myself conversing with individuals who literally have a sense of elitism and arrogance because they are using the 'superior' OS.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've decided to move on from the conversation personally. I've had enough going around in circles.

Sorry for the continuation of a dead topic. Let's move on to something else.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I've decided to take Friday off because I can use the break. I'm ridiculously tired. :/

I look forward to the day when we're done with the house and being able to live a normal life and go on vacation again. I'm looking forward to a nice trip somewhere in the EU. Not sure where. It might only be a small trip to France but at least it's somewhere. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I too miss the days of balanced conversations. Not even in this case, specifically, but the forum overall where discussion could be had and debated with intelligence and not low-brow insults and completely hyperbolic and degrading analogies just for the sake of our fellow forum friends hitting the like.

Instead, it is more of an Us vs them mentality and I find myself conversing with individuals who literally have a sense of elitism and arrogance because they are using the 'superior' OS.

There really is no intelligence conversation when talking about technology any more. It's all about personal preference.

People invest in something and want to prove their investment was right so will defend it.

To be clear, I'm speaking generally and not about any one particular person.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The new tyres on the car are great. The ride is so much smoother. Now just need to fix the last little bits on the car and it will be good. :)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have nothing to defend really when it comes to what I choose to spend my cash on and/or support. But I do like this mentality that all WP users who are not unhappy and miserable as some melodramatic people tend to make it out to be have to be fanboys, wearing rose colored glasses, or less than intelligent for sticking with a 'dying' platform.

Because we are not blaming Microsoft and throwing a temper tantrum in forum posts about the latest build. there is something wrong.

That's usually where my annoyance comes at...especially when someone tries to tell me or I see someone else trying to push someone else to android as if that is the answer.

There really is no intelligence conversation when talking about technology any more. It's all about personal preference.

People invest in something and want to prove their investment was right so will defend it.

To be clear, I'm speaking generally and not about any one particular person.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've decided to move on from the conversation personally. I've had enough going around in circles.

Sorry for the continuation of a dead topic. Let's move on to something else.

You know, what let me throw this out there.

I've noticed these days is a serious culture shift that tells me our society is really going down the toilet. I honestly don't know if I want to live into old ages with some of these knuckleheaded millennials being in charge.

I'm serious.

My issue has been whenever people like to recreate the wheel just because they have to be the ones in charge, it gives me a headache. Case in point: my current coworkers.

The reason why they're insane is because the supervisor has created a cultures where reinventing the wheel is the best way to do things. I've been at my job for 9+ years. Seen over 5000 youth in various stages of crises...so i kinda have some relative experience. But because my supervisor is interested in making a name for herself, she has decided to try to learn how my job works...but because she was really hired to work with another group and does so 95% of the time, she is no practical position to provide any effective supervision. So I do me and get what I need - clinician supervision - informally from our social workers. That works for me, being in social work school myself.

So my newer colleagues have been here 9 months, 6 months and 3 months respectively. Now, most people with sense would try to get the lay of the land at a new job and go from there. Nope. They walked in like they knew it all from jump. Now, we use an interdisciplinary approach here. Some of the staff in some jobs have been here as long as I have or longer. So when these young does (they're all women) come in like they know it all, people complain how sloppy they work. I get complaints all the time. They've heard the complaints too and instead of doing appropriate self reflection, they dig in and get petty and spin it as "an unfair negative comparison between them and myself".

My overall point: reviewing history allows us to make smarter decisions and not make the same knuckleheaded mistakes as before. I think some of those that have come before the millennials have really failed to set up society in a manner in while things get done smartly an key knowledge is properly passed down generationally. So on the one hand, I cannot blame my colleagues for their approach as my supervisor is creating an inappropriate climate that doesn't foster growth; but I still blame them for taking a self-preservationist approach. I suppose when people have bills to pay you cover your *** as best as possible, but I'd rather work smart and be rewarded than work hard with no end goal in sight.

Medical facilities are one of the tougher places to work in and adjust to...

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've decided to take Friday off because I can use the break. I'm ridiculously tired. :/

I look forward to the day when we're done with the house and being able to live a normal life and go on vacation again. I'm looking forward to a nice trip somewhere in the EU. Not sure where. It might only be a small trip to France but at least it's somewhere. :p

Have you gone to Portugal yet?

G4 Approved

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You know, what let me throw this out there.

I've noticed these days is a serious culture shift that tells me our society is really going down the toilet. I honestly don't know if I want to live into old ages with some of these knuckleheaded millennials being in charge.

I'm serious.

My issue has been whenever people like to recreate the wheel just because they have to be the ones in charge, it gives me a headache. Case in point: my current coworkers.

The reason why they're insane is because the supervisor has created a cultures where reinventing the wheel is the best way to do things. I've been at my job for 9+ years. Seen over 5000 youth in various stages of crises...so i kinda have some relative experience. But because my supervisor is interested in making a name for herself, she has decided to try to learn how my job works...but because she was really hired to work with another group and does so 95% of the time, she is no practical position to provide any effective supervision. So I do me and get what I need - clinician supervision - informally from our social workers. That works for me, being in social work school myself.

So my newer colleagues have been here 9 months, 6 months and 3 months respectively. Now, most people with sense would try to get the lay of the land at a new job and go from there. Nope. They walked in like they knew it all from jump. Now, we use an interdisciplinary approach here. Some of the staff in some jobs have been here as long as I have or longer. So when these young does (they're all women) come in like they know it all, people complain how sloppy they work. I get complaints all the time. They've heard the complaints too and instead of doing appropriate self reflection, they dig in and get petty and spin it as "an unfair negative comparison between them and myself".

My overall point: reviewing history allows us to make smarter decisions and not make the same knuckleheaded mistakes as before. I think some of those that have come before the millennials have really failed to set up society in a manner in while things get done smartly an key knowledge is properly passed down generationally. So on the one hand, I cannot blame my colleagues for their approach as my supervisor is creating an inappropriate climate that doesn't foster growth; but I still blame them for taking a self-preservationist approach. I suppose when people have bills to pay you cover your *** as best as possible, but I'd rather work smart and be rewarded than work hard with no end goal in sight.

Medical facilities are one of the tougher places to work in and adjust to...

G4 Approved

Aside from the supervisor, the comments about your co-workers remind me of youth in general. Full of enthusiasm and assuming they know it all. I've been there myself.

Thing is, a lot of young people come out of university or college these days wanting to be supervisors as soon as they come out and that's the expectation of a lot of them.

I blame the parents and the education system more for the attitudes than the kids themselves. Society has done a lot to make a mess of the young.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Aside from the supervisor, the comments about your co-workers remind me of youth in general. Full of enthusiasm and assuming they know it all. I've been there myself.

Thing is, a lot of young people come out of university or college these days wanting to be supervisors as soon as they come out and that's the expectation of a lot of them.

I blame the parents and the education system more for the attitudes than the kids themselves. Society has done a lot to make a mess of the young.

The supervisor's an ***. Duly noted.

My issue is that it's not just the schools though. I get that respect is defined differently in some social circles, but you cannot bring the same attitude on how to illicit respect from your friends to larger institutions.

An example: one of my former professors at my current MSW program was the student advisor. He used to tell me how students would address him in emails like he was their friend and they were kicking it on the porch drinking beers. Even when he used to reply in the professional manner, some didn't get the hint.

Working with young people daily, I see "youthful exuberance" constantly. But some of it is just an untrained ear of how to listen and appropriately express themselves to people who aren't of their ilk or worldview. I was telling the GF two nights ago I was glad to grow up when I did as it is tougher to do so now.

Still, not enough people own their own **** these days and are too busy trying to pass the buck.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not yet. It's on the list but it doesn't overly interest me that much at the moment. I'm more keen on Austria or some of the east EU countries.

Cool. I want to go to Europe one of these days. Probably will do the UK and France and Spain thing. Heard Cape Verdes isn't bad but got to do some research there...

G4 Approved

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

You know, this must be said since I'm in a non PC mood:

Having been a regular on this particular thread for over 85% of its existence, I miss the days when we had more balanced, intellectually stimulating conversation.

Now this feels like I'm in a kiddie line with my nephew waiting for him to get a turn at the bounceabout and there's no movement in the line because there's some 35 y.o. who lives with his parents is in the bounceabout and kicking the kids out because he needs "more space to flop around".

G4 Approved
I lol'd!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'd like the record to show that I didn't read any of those lengthy posts where everyone was debating over the platforms and all over the last 3-4 pages... not a single word.

I'll just be over here in the corner with my iPhone 6S Plus and my Windows 10 gaming PC having a good ole time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos