WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

So here's the back story to my latest post in the eats thread. The place I bought the bagel from has had their store there for years. They were already well established when I started working at my job 9 years ago.

Now they're gone because the landlord jacked up the rent to an unaffordable price. They're scrambling to find a new site (guess preferably in the neighborhood), but no luck so far. Sunday's their last day (but I guess it's more so Saturday).

It's sad because I liked the people there...hard working Hispanic folks as staff who were really nice. The construction crew working on the MTA project nearby are pissed because they'd be in there every day getting breakfast and lunch, causing the lines for everyone is to be super long. I went in there today and you can see one of the machines were they kept cold fruit and juices was barren.

My guess is the landlord has someone coming in who can pay the higher rent. NYC metro life...if you cannot afford it, you'll get pulled under and swept aside...

G4 Approved

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

So here's the back story to my latest post in the eats thread. The place I bought the bagel from has had their store there for years. They were already well established when I started working at my job 9 years ago.

Now they're gone because the landlord jacked up the rent to an unaffordable price. They're scrambling to find a new site (guess preferably in the neighborhood), but no luck so far. Sunday's their last day (but I guess it's more so Saturday).

It's sad because I liked the people there...hard working Hispanic folks as staff who were really nice. The construction crew working on the MTA project nearby are pissed because they'd be in there every day getting breakfast and lunch, causing the lines for everyone is to be super long. I went in there today and you can see one of the machines were they kept cold fruit and juices was barren.

My guess is the landlord has someone coming in who can pay the higher rent. NYC metro life...if you cannot afford it, you'll get pulled under and swept aside...

G4 Approved
I hope those people find another place to set up shop becuse now those people are out of the job.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

G4 Approved

This kind of thing was going on in Australia in the peek of the mining boom while I was there. Companies that rented places for years were having to move or close down because a new owner bought the place and wanted significantly more money.

It also happens here where there's tonnes of office space available but no one rents it because it's way over priced for any small business to afford, which is the majority of businesses in the UK.

Greed is a horrible thing and I find it odd that people who own these places would prefer them left empty rather than compromise on price. Eventually you're going to drive small business away. Then you'll start to have empty streets with closed businesses. I've seen in many places all over the world. Greed kills business and since capitalism is based on being greedy it ends up destroying itself in the end.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe I sweat it out here for a little bit. I wanted to do a MSW in the UK, but didn't have the means...

G4 Approved

University is a lot cheaper if you're a resident as I'm sure you know. What many people do in the UK is go to an EU country as the education is cheaper and the quality is the same or better.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Morning everyone. Looks like another busy day today. I would like to post more ;) but it's hard doing that when you gotta get to class on the free Time I have

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I hope those people find another place to set up shop becuse now those people are out of the job.

I hope so too. They bust their asses in there, they really did. Sometimes they took a little long to pump out orders, not because they were slow but the volume was so crazy at times.

I'll stop by tomorrow and get a pastrami sandwich from them as my last purchase. I really liked how they made their pastrami sandwich too.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This kind of thing was going on in Australia in the peek of the mining boom while I was there. Companies that rented places for years were having to move or close down because a new owner bought the place and wanted significantly more money.

It also happens here where there's tonnes of office space available but no one rents it because it's way over priced for any small business to afford, which is the majority of businesses in the UK.

Greed is a horrible thing and I find it odd that people who own these places would prefer them left empty rather than compromise on price. Eventually you're going to drive small business away. Then you'll start to have empty streets with closed businesses. I've seen in many places all over the world. Greed kills business and since capitalism is based on being greedy it ends up destroying itself in the end.

It's why I posted those two links yesterday about downtown BK. Right now, there are some folks in downtown BK who are moving back to Manhattan because it is CHEAPER. You've been to NYC, so you understand how absurd that is.

I guess when you have money you don't have to care about the people who run the restaurant you spend your money in on a night to eat, or the car service workers who chauffeur you around if your *** is to drunk to get home from a night out, or the cleaners who press your three piece suits, or the folks who have to commute long distances to come babysit your kids and cook your meals.

People think that what makes NYC cool is the glitz and glamour, but it is the blue collar workers that run the city. Call me when I see a rich person voluntarily sweeping the streets and driving the MTA subways. And yet the rich treat the people who run the city by keeping the city running like **** just to ensure that they can afford to take a trip to the French Riviera and complain about not having enough millions in the bank this fiscal quarter...

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

University is a lot cheaper if you're a resident as I'm sure you know. What many people do in the UK is go to an EU country as the education is cheaper and the quality is the same or better.

Getting a cheap but comparable degree was why I did my undergraduate back home and why I'm doing my MSW in NJ (instead of NYC). Gotta minimize that student debt...

G4 Approved

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I know I talk Android alot, but never really about the OS itself. I will say Google has done a nice job with their voice to text. I like the implementation on Windows too, but I feel I can talk for longer stretches that get recognized better on Android.

G4 Approved
I will second that. The keyboard on WP is still the best though.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The Nexus 6P is really nice. The only reason that I have not really looked at it as an option is because I really don't want a screen that large anymore. 5.5" is my cutoff and maybe the 950XL is the only one I'll make an exception for.

G4 Approved
The 950XL is probably the most compact 5.7" device. I have sampled the 6P, Moto X and 950 XL in the last few months. My only complaint with the 950XL is that it's a tad bit too wide for my taste.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I use cases most times, but the G4 is my first phone in a long time with just a tempered glass screen protector due to the great feel in hand for me with the leather back.

G4 Approved
The G4 is a phone you can attempt to use without a case. The iPhone 6+ is slipperier than an eel😀

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

This!

I've got to say, the core audio layer in iOS is right up there with the desktop class (Mac and PC).
I think though more and more Android device makers are trying to get in there...HTC did a good job with the audio setup on the 10 and native Airplay support, also Cyanogen has Audio FX which is pretty cool and Xiaomi does some really nice things with their Audio options as well. I'll post a screenshot when my Mi5 gets here.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's why I posted those two links yesterday about downtown BK. Right now, there are some folks in downtown BK who are moving back to Manhattan because it is CHEAPER. You've been to NYC, so you understand how absurd that is.

I guess when you have money you don't have to care about the people who run the restaurant you spend your money in on a night to eat, or the car service workers who chauffeur you around if your *** is to drunk to get home from a night out, or the cleaners who press your three piece suits, or the folks who have to commute long distances to come babysit your kids and cook your meals.

People think that what makes NYC cool is the glitz and glamour, but it is the blue collar workers that run the city. Call me when I see a rich person voluntarily sweeping the streets and driving the MTA subways. And yet the rich treat the people who run the city by keeping the city running like **** just to ensure that they can afford to take a trip to the French Riviera and complain about not having enough millions in the bank this fiscal quarter...

G4 Approved

London is pretty much the same. I like London for the non touristy bits but I also don't mind those areas either, sometimes.

Most people who work in London don't live there and those who do the blue collar work travel long distances to do a crap job for low wages because they've been priced out of the city. As time goes by even those small pockets of commutable areas for blue collar workers are becoming smaller and smaller and they're being pushed further out of the city.

Public transport here is outrageously expensive and anyone not making decent money can't live too far from their work because you start to go into negative territory. This is the problem. Even worse though is that there's this idea to make living spaces smaller and supposedly cheaper so there's a place for people to live. Unfortunately, that's not even happening. Nothing but luxury apartment after luxury apartment going up. Foreign buyers getting first crack at purchase. Then rent prices way out of the reach of blue collar workers. I can't even afford rental prices in the centre of London, well I can but I'd be broke the rest of the month. :p

For some reason, rich people think streets clean themselves, garbage is collected automatically and things just vanish... not realising there's a person behind all of it. But cities are no longer places to live really. Nothing but back security boxes for rich people. It's becoming less a place to be.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Getting a cheap but comparable degree was why I did my undergraduate back home and why I'm doing my MSW in NJ (instead of NYC). Gotta minimize that student debt...

G4 Approved
I got a few good breaks so luckily I managed to come out in the black after getting my graduate degree. I finally got to researching some options for my kid and will open an account next week so that there is some money stashed aside for paying the tuition fees. I think all the help that my child can get the better.

People talk about stagnating wages and increased cost of healthcare but the increase in cost of tuition in this country for higher education has far outpaced any other item in the last 20 years. Also the rules of getting credits and classes have become more restrictive. If I were to get my graduate degree today at the same school I would have a pile of debt and most likely no job after graduation either the way they have structured the study program now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss