WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

OK. I'll stop posting here, again. Idiotic persons make me nervous all the time.

Please remember that we typically have multiple conversations running simultaneously here. If you choose to stop posting here, that's on you. You do have the option to ignore what you don't want to read and still post.

There's an old proverb that fits here: you're about to "cut off your nose to spite your face."

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just woke up from a much needed nap. I was tempted to sleep straight until tomorrow morning, but I'm really hungry. Still very congested in the nasal area.

This just sucks.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

This^^^ if you'll notice, none of the other members here (in this thread in particular) talk "smack" about any platform. Here, we appreciate and respect ALL of the big three! We're all still big fans of Windows Phone don't worry! There's nothing wrong with Android.. and quite frankly, it's got a lot more going for it than Windows at the moment to tell you the truth.

Not really considering android is still a mobile os and windows still has the dominance in productivity and desktop. Android really has the mao advantage of apps. If there were app parity the constant whinging about windows phone would be nearly nonexistent.

Most people who switched prefer windows they switch for apps, which is short sighted tbh but ehh as I say to ppl "you do you

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

That moment when a customer questions you about why you don't use the iphone and use a windows phone and you want to lowkey just cuss them out.

Lmao.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, the Wifi dongle works on the GF's machine so far (shout out to "you-know-who" for the assist). I really should open up this computer again and look at why the CD ROM drive has been sticking and doesn't open. Throw that one on the pile of "things to do".

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's a very interesting time for hardware OEMs. The tech is so good that you're really splitting hairs for consumer cash.

I know that on the Android side, OEMs have to better tune their devices and update them timely to address the age old "lag" issue (I'm not talking about lag because lag is defined differently by so many people). On the windows side, there's no enough hardware choices because of quite a few reasons.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the year plays out.

G4 Approved

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

It's a very interesting time for hardware OEMs. The tech is so good that you're really splitting hairs for consumer cash.

I know that on the Android side, OEMs have to better tune their devices and update them timely to address the age old "lag" issue (I'm not talking about lag because lag is defined differently by so many people). On the windows side, there's no enough hardware choices because of quite a few reasons.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the year plays out.

G4 Approved

We really don't need hardware choices. Every os doesn't need to have hundreds of OEMs making devices. Then you wind up with the android thing where there is too much choice and consumers get stuck with outdated crap. Apple is a perfect example of what happens when you create good Balance for a great os and hardware and there is no need for fifty iOS devices.

I am glad OEMs cant alter the os or look because you wind up with the crap Android is

I spent the past few days researching android devices and many of the reviews mentioned the same thing. Great hardware from honor 5x for its price point leaving you stuck with a poorly made customization from the skin.

Besides most wp users are here for Lumia, so a lack of choice is irrelevant so much as a lack of Lumia.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

For the record, when it comes to lag...Apple has its own custom GPUs that it shares with no one. Because they have the best GPUs in the market, a dual core (and before it a single core) device with a fine GPU optimised for iOS, the lag is severely reduced when transitioning through apps and navigating the OS. That does not mean that iOS devices are lag free...they encounter stutters in transitions whenever the OS isn't properly optimised.

Android and Windowa on the other hand, use Qualcomm chips and the Andreno GPU as the standard. In Android, there are Exynos and MediaTek as alternatives...those do no exist in Windows. Windows just uses the "resuming" screen as a way to cover the lag during transitions. Android does not have that, so the lag is more visible when it occurs. It does boil down to how well the OEM tunes their version of the skin they use on on top the of current version of Android, and how well MSFT tunes Windows since they control the OS itself.

So that's why I think people are idiots when they get in the Windows doesn't lag as much as Android debate - they don't pay attention to things like these.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Apple has realized that it's not about the number of devices, but having a device a certain key price points. That's why you have a 4", 4.7", and a 5.5" iPhone. It's not about screen size, but as it stands Apple is realizing that multiple devices at different prices allows people to enter their ecosystem. That's why they came up with the 5C in the first place, which is now replaced by the 5 SE.

Windows mobile could benefit from a new mid range device. Becuase MSFT controls the OS, OEMs can only differentiate based on hardware components. I'd love to see something in the $400 price range. Something with a good camera and great audio as MSFT still sucks at that. The 650 is targeted like the old RIM Curve lines - for businesses and government agencies to use en masse. The 550 is to appeal for the original budget crowd on all those 512MB RAM devices. There is nothing between the 950 and 650 and that's a mistake.

Another OEM with a good offering in the $400 price range would make a killing. There are still some Windows users who never liked the Lumia brand and would look forward to using a very solid alternative.

For those who think that hardware choices is unnecessary, that's a small minded and short sighted view. If MSFT didn't believe in this, under Windows Phone 8 you wouldn't have seen all those budget handsets used to build market share. MSFT seems to want a similar sort of approach for PCs on mobile...they have a small line that showcases the OS but have other OEMs make stuff at different price points.

Not everyone has money for a 950 or a 950 XL. And in some parts of the world, these phones are horribly overpriced.

For the record, MSFT should retire the Lumia brand...and I hope they do once they choose to expand the Surface brand with a mobile device.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Depending on the hardware it does. And does badly. Unless it is high end hardware or completely stock, it all have some lag and bad performance

Contrary to what the Android fans say it still lags
The only thing lagging is your so called expertise of Android's performance.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

We really don't need hardware choices. Every os doesn't need to have hundreds of OEMs making devices. Then you wind up with the android thing where there is too much choice and consumers get stuck with outdated crap. Apple is a perfect example of what happens when you create good Balance for a great os and hardware and there is no need for fifty iOS devices.

I am glad OEMs cant alter the os or look because you wind up with the crap Android is

I spent the past few days researching android devices and many of the reviews mentioned the same thing. Great hardware from honor 5x for its price point leaving you stuck with a poorly made customization from the skin.

Besides most wp users are here for Lumia, so a lack of choice is irrelevant so much as a lack of Lumia.
Android is to mobile what Windows was to PCs...Apple has always been a hardware and software company from the get go...if everyone started to mimic Apple we would have too many different OSes and fewer hardware choices....

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I never said Windows doesn't lag. You are perfectly right that Windows 10 mobile has resume screens (and the animations in WP7/8 also hid lag). However, I've noticed that with all the android phones I've owned (Well over 40.....and majority are flagships), the performance always begins degrade over the time.

If it isn't a user interface from an OEM that is the culprit...it's the fact it is cheap hardware with poor specs. Whereas the same specced Windows Phone runs smoothly.

My Alcatel One touch fierce XL is a slow phone with a snapdragon 210 processor. It runs slowly. But it does so consistently. A similar specced android phone is so sporadic in its performance that something as simple as opening the dialer crashes or hangs or loads.

Things like hitting the multitasking button on Android and then trying to swipe the apps away or even resuming the app is a mess. Not only the lag, but the poor performance. For all the grief Win10mobile gets for its performance, I love how we give Android a pass and then try to blame the OEMs as the sole culprit when in reality is the OEM, the skin, the OS, and the poor specs that all combined together make android phones have a poor reputation.

I remember in the early days of Android (Ironically those of you who try to tell me about android weren't even there from the start to witness its evolution as I was lol) when task killers were the rage. It was considered blasphemy to use or recommend one. Android has come a long way....but I always hear(similar to Windows 10) that each new version is supposed to be better than the last and then in the end its still the same story. Slow, laggy performance.

When I look at reviews of Windows phone 8 devices, rarely ever do I hear anything about slowness. The operating system as a whole is usually consistent in its performance. It was always about apps.

Even with Windows 10 mobile. even WITH its complaints about performance, the majority didn't switch because of the OS itself (or solely because of it), it was always about the apps.

I cant tell you how many customers I had to deal with who brought me their phones and it was just a crap experience. Various androids. I am supposed to tell them they need to get a Nexus device or a Motorola G. For all the choice that Android offers and its fans brag about, why do I need to limit them so they can get an optimal experience. It's one thing to be open and allow freedom of customization but Google should always have some sort of standard as well instead of letting everyone bastardize the OS.

I hate that Microsoft changed the hardware requirements for Windows 10 mobile, but I understand why they did. But they still have control over the OS.

and it is why no matter what OEM you use, you generally can have more or less the same experience across the platform for the most part and you aren't exactly missing out on much unless it is OEM specific stuff.

Android needs high specs because the OS is so unrefined in many ways and 'tweaked' in other ways that no other OS needs. Not because it is more powerful. Simply because in the world of android, unless it is vanilla android, there is really no standard. No quality.

When you have to tell people they need a phone with at least a 2 GB ram and 6xx processor, that's a problem.
A 1 GB ram and Snapdragon 4XX Lumia 640 runs windows 10 admirably....same specced Android phone runs the OS poorly. No matter how much you and others try to deny it, there is a performance issue in the majority (i.e. non-flagship) hardware.

For the record, when it comes to lag...Apple has its own custom GPUs that it shares with no one. Because they have the best GPUs in the market, a dual core (and before it a single core) device with a fine GPU optimised for iOS, the lag is severely reduced when transitioning through apps and navigating the OS. That does not mean that iOS devices are lag free...they encounter stutters in transitions whenever the OS isn't properly optimised.

Android and Windowa on the other hand, use Qualcomm chips and the Andreno GPU as the standard. In Android, there are Exynos and MediaTek as alternatives...those do no exist in Windows. Windows just uses the "resuming" screen as a way to cover the lag during transitions. Android does not have that, so the lag is more visible when it occurs. It does boil down to how well the OEM tunes their version of the skin they use on on top the of current version of Android, and how well MSFT tunes Windows since they control the OS itself.

So that's why I think people are idiots when they get in the Windows doesn't lag as much as Android debate - they don't pay attention to things like these.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious as to see where the wearable market is going. It is hard to believe, but I've used some form of the SWR10 (Sony smartband) for the past two years. I was looking at upgrading to the SWR12 (Smartband 2), but the battery life is still ****ty. I think for me, tracking sleep patterns has been very useful. I do wish sometimes that my Smartband would run a bit more smoothly, but overall this works for me.

I know others require more performance, so Fitbit gets a lot of pub and rightfully so, but at end of the day...if you don't really take good care of yourself, it doesn't matter what smart wear you're using...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I've always said I wish I could take the front end of a 950XL (the Start Screen, Glance screen, and double tap to wake etc) and tack it onto the 6S Plus... Then I'd have the perfect phone! The beautiful and customizable Start screen, with the robust App Store of iOS, and the unmatched performance of the 6S Plus...

A guy can dream!

That's a hell of a mash up, Ed! Not sure if many folks besides you would buy that...lol. Still, it's a good idea...

Idk man, you'd be surprised! Or even the same W10M front end on a 6P or other high end Android device. I'd buy it in a New York second!

Just imagine; a phone with that awesome customizable Start Screen and Glance, with a proper App Store (that has everything you might want or need) all running on some premium hardware. It doesn't really sound like too much to ask for...

...but I don't think we're ever going to get it lol :/

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone 7 and Windows phone 8 had lags too. Again, no one else a giving Android a pass (see my Nexus comments below). I've clearly said that they both experience lags. I see Micah hasn't lost the ability to "see and not really read" during the week's vacation from Windows Central.

Even on "stock Android" lag can occur - ask Nexus 5X users before the March 2016 performance updates. I'm not a software engineer, but lag happens and these folks do a damn good job with software. While I don't code myself, I watched my brother learn COBOL, PASCAL, BASIC, C+, C++, JAVA from the early 90s until now. Coding isn't easy.

I never saw what the big deal was about "lag", other than Apple using the terms lag and fragmentation as marketing tools to lure more consumers into iOS. Most of my mobile devices have more raw processing power than my desktop and they do what I want consistently.

My first Android device was a HTC Magic - if you know what that is. I've used every version of Android. I've used every version of Windows Mobile since 2003SE, if you know what that is. I've used Apple up to iOS7. I used WebOS, RIM up to BB OS7. I've used or owned nearly 100 phones since 2004.

Google wants to transition their version of Android from Java to get away from Oracle and to improve performance. Everyone is working to improve OS performance, no matter the platform. So to continue the arguement of one OS lagging more than the other is really silly.

Don't buy anything that doesn't run smooth to your liking. Simple.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Idk man, you'd be surprised! Or even the same W10M front end on a 6P or other high end Android device. I'd buy it in a New York second!

Just imagine; a phone with that awesome customizable Start Screen and Glance, with a proper App Store (that has everything you might want or need) all running on some premium hardware. It doesn't really sound like too much to ask for...

...but I don't think we're ever going to get it lol :/

Good luck with that one Ed. Your imagination is on point tonight.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Windows phone 7 and Windows phone 8 had lags too. Again, no one else a giving Android a pass (see my Nexus comments below). I've clearly said that they both experience lags. I see Micah hasn't lost the ability to "see and not really read" during the week's vacation from Windows Central.

Even on "stock Android" lag can occur - ask Nexus 5X users before the March 2016 performance updates. I'm not a software engineer, but lag happens and these folks do a damn good job with software. While I don't code myself, I watched my brother learn COBOL, PASCAL, BASIC, C+, C++, JAVA from the early 90s until now. Coding isn't easy.

I never saw what the big deal was about "lag", other than Apple using the terms lag and fragmentation as marketing tools to lure more consumers into iOS. Most of my mobile devices have more raw processing power than my desktop and they do what I want consistently.

My first Android device was a HTC Magic - if you know what that is. I've used every version of Android. I've used every version of Windows Mobile since 2003SE, if you know what that is. I've used Apple up to iOS7. I used WebOS, RIM up to BB OS7. I've used or owned nearly 100 phones since 2004.

Google wants to transition their version of Android from Java to get away from Oracle and to improve performance. Everyone is working to improve OS performance, no matter the platform. Somto continue the arguement of one OS lagging more than the other is really silly.

I make the argument that Android lags (because it still does) because its fans want to pretend that it no longer is an issue. This thread alone is a perfect example.

All Oses do lag. Just like all cars can have issues. It's just a matter of what is worse.

I know the HTC magic. Horrible phone.

My first android phone was the first android phone (Tmobile's G1) and I previously used Windows mobile.

I was an HTC ****** back then.

I was also a big fan of Webos myself. I had the P alm Pixi and Pre Plus from Verizon. Lovely OS, horrible OS.

In between I've used Blackberry whatever version as on the Storm (Awful Phone btw).

I even used Microsoft's Kin(Both devices) as well as a few Symbian and Mego and a few others. And IOS of course.

So my knowledge, while not as long as you(2007), is also more than just being experienced with Windows phone.

I hope Google does improve the OS and make it visually appealing than it is now as well as performing better. I also hope they establish some standards within the OS aka learn to control it more while giving freedom.

I personally wouldn't use Google as I don't like the way they treat subsets of their users who wish to use their services. I don't use google services but I do feel for the WP fans who unfortunately do...and are forced to either live without or poor implementations.

But to each their own. I just refuse to conform to a company who seems less about choice and more about trying to control its userbase. Interestingly enough, Microsoft was guilty of the same things Google does today and google gets a pass. I can only hope, Google's comeuppance and humbling time will come soon and hard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea