WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm just tired. Too sick to really go flogging dead horses right now.

Hey Ed, is your 1520 a AT&T or an unlocked model? I kept thinking about your chip near the volume buttons... If that were me I may have done a housing replacement.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

There is no stock Android. "Stock Android" is Google's version of Android. I've gone Gappless before...rooted a device and removed all Google apps and ran it straight AOSP. That doesn't happen as much now as Google has made it harder to do so with their current versions of Android. Some folks still do, and pick hardware on Android based on their ability to still being able to do that.

My favorite OSes are Symbian, WebOS and Windows Mobile 6.5. I have to use these modern ones because that's what's available. Doesn't mean I'm a true fan of any of them, but since they do what I want right now, I use them.

Tech is a tool. Once it's outlived its usefulness, I change to something else. That's what we truly platform agnostic folks do...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

One of my all time favorite phones was the Bold 9700. I miss those housing swap days when I'd go online, buy a housing and swap it out. I had a chrome Bold for a while...my ex at the time loved purple and for her birthday I bought her a white Bold and swapped out the housing for a truly purple phone.

Screen replacements on that phone was a PITA though. They used 3 sets of screens so if you didn't have the right one, you're screwed. Did my own housing swaps on a HTC Touch - bought a black one and turned it green and white.

My favorite DIY was when the WP7 Gen one models used microSD cards for memory. I opened up my HTC Mozart and dropped a 32GB card in there. Write speed was horrid, but it was a fun project.

That's why i have great respect for repair men. This is such a skill these days I don't even bother try too many DIYs like I used to.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've always respected people who used the "chips on their shoulders" constructively. Too many people in the world walk around with chips on their shoulders and are too busy fighting for respect that they already have in many cases.

Got a co-worker who is a feminist and sometimes I think she purposely chooses not to see the forest becuase she prefers the trees. Well, whatever works for her...except for when she does that to me i usually check her.

It's my beef with modern society today...too many people are interested in seeking attention and self recognition from others. So people don't how how and when to listen.

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Shoot.. I've only been using Microsoft products since 1986.. Y'know, back before they invented beepers! (Mine was a Motorola!)

Going to bed
bedtimes.gif
nite all!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

There is an old saying I live by: "it's not what you say, it's how you say it".

Some folks have no desire to do anything else but hear themselves talk. Some people don't get that when you pull on a lion's tail, you shouldn't that the lion population needs to be controlled when the same lion turns around and swats of half your face with one of its paws.

I just don't know anymore these days. Maybe that's why I usually try to stay in the company of truly intelligent folks who can appreciate things like respect, tact, nuances...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I almost cried...My poor 1520(Obviously on the left) literally fell out of my pocket somehow at work. I knew it was shattered from how I heard it fall.

Prior to that back in November, my 640 XL also broke(though thankfully not as bad) because I stupidly placed it on the toilet paper dispenser in a bathroom to change into my uniform and it slid off and hit the ground....

My poor Lumias :( I wanted to get the 1520 repaired but A) Idk where to take it and B ) I paid $150 for it used. I feel it is kind of a waste to get it repaired. I have my 950 XL coming soon but I really love the 1520 and I kind of don't even want the 950 XL.

I may buy a 4th Lumia 1520 off ebay...it's truly the best WP and one of the best smartphones to date.
zxOYIa0.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I almost cried...My poor 1520(Obviously on the left) literally fell out of my pocket somehow at work. I knew it was shattered from how I heard it fall.

Prior to that back in November, my 640 XL also broke(though thankfully not as bad) because I stupidly placed it on the toilet paper dispenser in a bathroom to change into my uniform and it slid off and hit the ground....

My poor Lumias :( I wanted to get the 1520 repaired but A) Idk where to take it and B ) I paid $150 for it used. I feel it is kind of a waste to get it repaired. I have my 950 XL coming soon but I really love the 1520 and I kind of don't even want the 950 XL.

I may buy a 4th Lumia 1520 off ebay...it's truly the best WP and one of the best smartphones to date.
View attachment 125255

Well, I'm from the school of it being more Eco friendly to replace a screen than to buy a new handset because the broken one doesn't disappear.

There was another community member here who was selling a unicorn 1520 with a screen issue. I told him to fix the screen and it would increase the value of the phone. He got the screen replaced and he went from selling the 1520 for $90 broken to $250. What you're paying to buy another 1520 you could easily pay to get the current one replaced.

My repair guy (if you were in the NYC area I'd pass along his info) always gives me options. He can charge me for parts and labor or I buy my parts and he does labor only repairs. The 1520 is an old phone so many DIY videos exist online. Nokias are generally easier to repair...I've opened up a few Lumias before, so a screen replacement isn't terrible as long as you can follow instructionsif you want to do it yourself.

I think the screen for the 1520 is about $60-$70. If you buy the parts, buy the complete screen + digitizer setup...that's the hassle free option. Many places online sell them. You could easily find a local repair shop and get a quote if you ordered the part yourself and paid for labor only vs the part and labor done both by the repair person.

It's up to you and how you want to spend your money though.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to bed now. Need to wake up to go to the funny farm in a few hours.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I'll give it some thought. I guess if I am going to go through that trouble of repairing it, i'll see if I can also repair the housing and change it to green since I never liked my white phone to begin with.
Well, I'm from the school of it being more Eco friendly to replace a screen than to buy a new handset because the broken one doesn't disappear.

There was another community member here who was selling a unicorn 1520 with a screen issue. I told him to fix the screen and it would increase the value of the phone. He got the screen replaced and he went from selling the 1520 for $90 broken to $250. What you're paying to buy another 1520 you could easily pay to get the current one replaced.

My repair guy (if you were in the NYC area I'd pass along his info) always gives me options. He can charge me for parts and labor or I buy my parts and he does labor only repairs. The 1520 is an old phone so many DIY videos exist online. Nokias are generally easier to repair...I've opened up a few Lumias before, so a screen replacement isn't terrible as long as you can follow instructionsif you want to do it yourself.

I think the screen for the 1520 is about $60-$70. If you buy the parts, buy the complete screen + digitizer setup...that's the hassle free option. Many places online sell them. You could easily find a local repair shop and get a quote if you ordered the part yourself and paid for labor only vs the part and labor done both by the repair person.

It's up to you and how you want to spend your money though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm all for an argument from time to time but this thread has usually been a good time.

Unfortunately we have an individual on here taking their personal preferences and biases and turning this thread into an unpleasant place again.

I don't come on this thread to have arguments and hear some twit bang on and on about the same nonsense over and over again.

Let's put this into perspective for you.

This thread is in the 'OFF TOPICS' area. This thread is the ultimate in 'OFF TOPIC' as it doesn't have a topic. It's simply a thread of conversation.

The fact this is a 'Windows Forum' is irrelevant to this thread as it's OFF TOPIC. If it was an issue they would have shut it down ages ago.

If you want to go argue about how great W10 is against other OSs go do it elsewhere. We're all muti-platform users here. We all like tech and we're critical of all of it.

I'm tired of having to repeat this nonsense but some people never seem to learn.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Just FYI if you haven't figured it out yet.

You're on my ignore list. I can't see anything you write (unless I want to). I prefer it that way.

It's just unfortunate that it doesn't hide your posts when people quote you.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. I wish I could call out today but I cannot. At least the weather will be nice outside. NYC is always nice in warmer weather because everything gets better to look at - including the locals.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'll give it some thought. I guess if I am going to go through that trouble of repairing it, i'll see if I can also repair the housing and change it to green since I never liked my white phone to begin with.

If you do that, you've got to make sure the housing you buy comes with the correct color sim card trays. The green maybe harder to find.

I didn't buy that WPC member's unicorn because I would have swapped the housing out too and it started to get too expensive for my tastes when I did the math.

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Just FYI if you haven't figured it out yet.

You're on my ignore list. I can't see anything you write (unless I want to). I prefer it that way.

It's just unfortunate that it doesn't hide your posts when people quote you.

I see you're in rare Monday form, flogging this dead horse. Give it a rest...just have conversations with who you want over what you want. I'm sure people ignore my chatter all the time, so I'm not going sweat this too much...

G4 Approved

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I see you're in rare Monday form, flogging this dead horse. Give it a rest...just have conversations with who you want over what you want. I'm sure people ignore my chatter all the time, so I'm not going sweat this too much...

G4 Approved

I'm not flogging a dead horse. They decided to quote me so I informed them I am ignoring them so no point doing that.

That was all. I don't plan have conversations with them.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Morning troops!

Got the day off here, yet I'm up at the crack of dawn... making a pot of coffee. There was an Amber alert going off on every phone in the house this morning. That's actually what woke me up...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning troops!

Got the day off here, yet I'm up at the crack of dawn... making a pot of coffee. There was an Amber alert going off on every phone in the house this morning. That's actually what woke me up...

Morning Ed.

Amber alerts are no good...

G4 Approved

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm not flogging a dead horse. They decided to quote me so I informed them I am ignoring them so no point doing that.

That was all. I don't plan have conversations with them.

Understood. This is all so draining to read. My lungs are in protest...

G4 Approved

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss