WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

But try figuring out how to change the time the screen stays on before it goes to sleep or import your Outlook contacts to a brand new iPhone, it requires quite a bit of effort. See Vlad's rant about a custom ringtone for an iPhone on The Verge...

wait.. all those are super easy!

1. Settings/General/Autolock - change to anything you want

2. When I got my new 6S Plus all I had to do for the native Mail App was add my Outlook account (Settings/Mail, Contacts, & Calendars/ add account) Then of course I had to have the Outlook app for iOS which is awesome... no problems at all there with adding accounts or contacts.

3 Custom ringtones galore! I have a bunch of custom ones that I made with little recording tidbits I did on the guitar. When I have something I want to put on the iPhone, I just import it into iTunes and sync it... with "sync over WiFi" enabled, it's just as easy as drag and dropping to a Windows device. "Vlad" (whoever that is) must not have much experience with these sorts of things...

There's really not much effort involved in any of those things you mentioned.

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Senior Editor at the Verge? lol seriously? Dude looks like he's 20....

and can't operate an iPhone... wow

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

None you too?
:(

Z1s right now.
Then the T-Mo Z3 (6616) tomorrow or Wednesday I hope.

Good luck there. Those are T-Mobile phones, so you definitely WON'T get it. It took an act of Congress just to get Lollipop on the D6616 models...

I'm still on 5.1.1 on my Z3 tablet compact, so I know I'll have to wait...which is odd they launched it for the Z2 tablet series before mines, but oh well...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

See Vlad's rant about a custom ringtone for an iPhone on The Verge...

I just searched the whole Verge site for articles and forum comments by Vlad containing the keyword "ringtone" and came up with nothing. Got a link? I'll send him some quick how-to instructions lol

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, and I understand people getting bored with it. I also understand the "if it's not broken, don't fix it philosophy". I mean, they've perfected it and it works perfectly. The 3D Touch (adding another layer) thing was really the only thing they could do without disturbing what they have there.

Is it "stale"? IDK.. "Bland" maybe, but I think they've kept it that way on purpose to keep the OS transparent, and not getting in the way between the user and their content/apps. On Windows and even Android, users spend more time fiddling with the OS and tweaking things (which don't get me wrong - isn't always a bad thing) than enjoying the actual feature, app, or content they set out to enjoy in the first place. That's another reason I love these iPhones.. they save me so much time, as I don't really have to do anything to make everything work.

On the other hand, I do get bored and like to tinker just like the rest of us... I guess until the magical "perfect phone" of my imagination comes into fruition, I'll always be a 2 or more phone kind of guy! lol

I left Apple because of app fatigue. It felt like if I wasn't in an app doing something, I wasn't using the phone. That works for some, doesn't work for me. Plus I liked to tweak the phone so I used Cydia a lot for themes...crashed my iPhone a ton but man, they had so nice themes back then...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I left Apple because of app fatigue. It felt like if I wasn't in an app doing something, I wasn't using the phone. That works for some, doesn't work for me. Plus I liked to tweak the phone so I used Cydia a lot for themes...crashed my iPhone a ton but man, they had so nice themes back then...

Ah Cydia.. I haven't heard that in a minute. The last one I had a jailbreak on was a 4S. You're right, those themes all the rage back then.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

wait.. all those are super easy!

1. Settings/General/Autolock - change to anything you want

2. When I got my new 6S Plus all I had to do for the native Mail App was add my Outlook account (Settings/Mail, Contacts, & Calendars/ add account) Then of course I had to have the Outlook app for iOS which is awesome... no problems at all there with adding accounts or contacts.

3 Custom ringtones galore! I have a bunch of custom ones that I made with little recording tidbits I did on the guitar. When I have something I want to put on the iPhone, I just import it into iTunes and sync it... with "sync over WiFi" enabled, it's just as easy as drag and dropping to a Windows device. "Vlad" (whoever that is) must not have much experience with these sorts of things...

There's really not much effort involved in any of those things you mentioned.
1. I could not find the auto lock timeout without searching for it on the internet, not easy or intuitive at all.

2. My wife used Yahoo Mail on WP. So it was a bit convoluted to get the contacts sorted out. Nothing serious because an internet search fixed it but again not as easy as signing in your Outlook or Google account and getting the contacts ported over.

3. I refuse to use iTunes. That is software that is still stuck about 10 years behind the curve and probably the weakest link in the Apple chain.

That is my viewpoint as an outsider looking in. Please note that I have an iPad, iPod touch and an iPhone in the house so I'm not a novice but not completely entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so.....you get the idea.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

1. I could not find the auto lock timeout without searching for it on the internet, not easy or intuitive at all.

2. My wife used Yahoo Mail on WP. So it was a bit convoluted to get the contacts sorted out. Nothing serious because an internet search fixed it but again not as easy as signing in your Outlook or Google account and getting the contacts ported over.

3. I refuse to use iTunes. That is software that is still stuck about 10 years behind the curve and probably the weakest link in the Apple chain.

That is my viewpoint as an outsider looking in. Please note that I have an iPad, iPod touch and an iPhone in the house so I'm not a novice but not completely entrenched in the Apple ecosystem so.....you get the idea.

What's an iTunes?

You mean MSFT had to kill the vastly superior Zune software and yet because Apple has sold maybe a billion iPhones they get to keep this extinct dinosaur software around?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

My bad it's actually Dieter Bohn....send him a tweet!
Why the iPhone sometimes feels stuck in the past | The Verge
"Executive Editor"! Even better lol

Nah, I'll just let him be. I read the article though, and seriously, it's really not as bad as he makes it sound! Especially the part where he says "steps 7 and 8 went really bad... " really? (There's not really that many steps first of all) and 7 yeah, you click on "ringtones" duh... 8 is non existent with sync over WiFi.

These guys on the Verge (and other "tech" sites) spatting off all kinds of stuff that people take as gospel is ridiculous.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I'll admit that I try to avoid using iTunes at all whe possible. It's only on the occasion that I want to sync a ringtone to the phone really. For music and movies, I always keep everything on my PC and stream everything with either PLEX or Onedrive.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

When my PayPal bucks get built back up I'll be looking for the unlocked LG G4 too.

Oh, those you can find in spades. Expansysusa has that for $330. eBay you could do under $300 (probably Swappa too). I like my G4, battery life is so so, but the camera's nice. I do miss the water resistance from the Z3, but my tablet still allows me to enjoy Sony...

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

WTH... the DOOM open BETA has been up and running all weekend long and I'm JUST finding out??? It ends tonight at midnight... *races to re-install the dang thing*

I thought you knew it. If I knew you were clueless I would have told you :winktongue:

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

If someone does get an infraction, that link automatically gets sent to them along with the mod's comments about what they need to do properly, so nobody who gets banned is unaware of what they did wrong or what they need to do differently.

Uh, I think I have one of those. Got it for 'piracy recommendations'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb