WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I only use the website on the computer, on mobile I use Tapatalk.
I use the full site on my iPhone. I go back and forth between Safari and Chrome.

On the desktop, I go back and forth between Edge and IE. But mostly IE.

On the 1520, well there's really no other choices other than Edge which is pretty terrible. There that Opera Mini browser but I haven't really messed with that all that much.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I really haven't missed cable since i cut it off. I need to call them though as i was given a promotional deal that i think expires in the summer. Netflix and Hulu have been enough to get me by since I'm not home enough to watch TV. I keep my show pool very small and commercial free these days...

Posted via Moto Maxx

I have basic cable channels that come automatically with my service. I just keep it for the fast internet speeds (Xfinity 75Mbps). I never really watch any tv...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Hard to believe that it's been about (on and off, but mostly on) 4 years with the GF. Time flies and yet stands still in some ways...

Posted via Moto Maxx

It does doesn't it... I've been with my GF for 10 years this coming Feb.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Man, being an adult is a pain in the *** at times. It's funny because as a kid i always wanted to be an adult for the freedom...and there are times as an adult i wish i was a kid...

Life is interesting like that sometimes...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Don'tcha wish sometimes that you could go back and start over, knowing what you know now?Maybe make one or two alternate decisions that may have changed the course of certain things?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It is absolutely the apps. And it's no more of a PITA to code for Win10 (Mobile C#/.NET) than it is Objective C (iOS) or Java/C, C++ (Android). I'm not an "app developer", but I do have some experience in programming from my ITT days, and my gaming mods/level design days. MSFT has made it easier than ever to port, or even code from scratch. If you can create an Android or iOS app, you can create one for Win10M.

The problem is the lack of market and interest. Nobody wants to do any extra work for a handful of potential customers it seems. And convincing the devs of the whole new broad universal app market is like trying to get your kids to try liver again.. Promising that it "doesn't taste like liver this time"! (They turn their nose up at it every time!) Windows has left a bad taste in so many dev's mouths.

Windows Phone (Win10M) has the most beautiful GUI, and probably the "smartest" phone OS out there IMO, but until the Store has every single app that the others have, it's not going to cut it... not the pretty OS alone.

Until then, it's going to be Apple or Android for me here on out.

WebOS was the slickest OS i used for transitions ever. Windows 8 was the prettiest OS I've used. Windows 10 looks clean, but not as pretty as Windows 8.

MSFT has burned many a bridge. If i stick to the strengths of the OS, which are the camera, Office, calendar and email, and One drive, the experience is good. Start straying outside that and the issues show up. I still have a very capable Android tablet, which is the fall breaks as i think it would, I'd be carrying around alot.

But on days when i use want to be lightweight and carry only one device, the Android phone only is a better fit right now. But i may change my mind after a week with Windows. We'll see...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Well, I could keep going but it's almost nap time. The good thing about my schedule over the next month including this week is I'll be off on Monday 3 of those 4 weeks. But i pay for that by working on Saturday for 3 of the 4 weeks...

Posted via Moto Maxx
I'm supposed to start working on Saturdays soon, but for now, I work day shift tomorrow 9-4 then off until Sunday..

Which means I should get off here and get to bed!

I'll check in in the a.m.!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have basic cable channels that come automatically with my service. I just keep it for the fast internet speeds (Xfinity 75Mbps). I never really watch any tv...

You have the nonsense that's Comcast too, eh?

I had the high end internet from them. Blisteringly fast. I downgraded to the mid tier which is pretty good. They threw me a promotion of slightly above basic + the mid tier internet for a year at the promotional price of the mid tier internet only. I used to have the triple play but decided I'm not paying $200 a month when I'm hardly home...

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Don'tcha wish sometimes that you could go back and start over, knowing what you know now?Maybe make one or two alternate decisions that may have changed the course of certain things?

No changes. The only thing I'd change are some money related decisions...but even then, there were certain things that happened from those that were positive.

I grew up as i was to have grown up, so i wouldn't change a thing looking back.

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Good night Ed.

Sahib, it's all on you now for the next stretch...you do owe us a mini-review of that 950...

Posted via Moto Maxx

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I really haven't missed cable since i cut it off. I need to call them though as i was given a promotional deal that i think expires in the summer. Netflix and Hulu have been enough to get me by since I'm not home enough to watch TV. I keep my show pool very small and commercial free these days...

Posted via Moto Maxx

A tablet and Chromecast should take care of all your TV show needs sans the advertisements...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Man, being an adult is a pain in the *** at times. It's funny because as a kid i always wanted to be an adult for the freedom...and there are times as an adult i wish i was a kid...

Posted via Moto Maxx

I like to call it the principle of Invertendo....life is full of such paradoxes...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Posted via Moto Maxx
I have moments like that as well.

I try not to have regrets and enjoy what I have now but sometimes I wish I could have did things a bit different.

Such is life.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Hard to believe that it's been about (on and off, but mostly on) 4 years with the GF. Time flies and yet stands still in some ways...

Posted via Moto Maxx
It's our 10 year wedding anniversary next year but we've been together for 12 years.

I'll be out of Canada for 12 years this November. Time flies.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I need to go do a cruise again. The first and last time was about 6 years ago. A very fun experience, even though there was too much food. It was a Carnival cruise with a stopover in Jamaica (saw a few friends naturally) and Grand Cayman (which was beautiful but ******* expensive).

I'd maybe want to go see the Bahamas and maybe Cozumel, Mexico. I think my favorite part of the cruise was the captain's dinner.

Posted via Moto Maxx
I've never been on a cruise. I have to admit that I'm not overly fond of the idea but there are times I think it could be relaxing. It would have to be the right kind of cruise for us though.

One of the cruises I want to do is up the Nile river in Egypt. The other would be cruising the rivers in Europe.

But those can wait a bit.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It is absolutely the apps. And it's no more of a PITA to code for Win10 (Mobile C#/.NET) than it is Objective C (iOS) or Java/C, C++ (Android). I'm not an "app developer", but I do have some experience in programming from my ITT days, and my gaming mods/level design days. MSFT has made it easier than ever to port, or even code from scratch. If you can create an Android or iOS app, you can create one for Win10M.

The problem is the lack of market and interest. Nobody wants to do any extra work for a handful of potential customers it seems. And convincing the devs of the whole new broad universal app market is like trying to get your kids to try liver again.. Promising that it "doesn't taste like liver this time"! (They turn their nose up at it every time!) Windows has left a bad taste in so many dev's mouths.

Windows Phone (Win10M) has the most beautiful GUI, and probably the "smartest" phone OS out there IMO, but until the Store has every single app that the others have, it's not going to cut it... not the pretty OS alone.

Until then, it's going to be Apple or Android for me here on out.
It's always been about market share with devs. Unfortunately trying to explain that to some people is difficult.

UWP didn't solve the problem either because you need to convince the devs that people who use a W10 PC use apps. I think a lot don't.

So it's limbo for W10M for now. I don't thing MS will kill it but I don't see it doing anything for the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I've never been on a cruise. I have to admit that I'm not overly fond of the idea but there are times I think it could be relaxing. It would have to be the right kind of cruise for us though.

One of the cruises I want to do is up the Nile river in Egypt. The other would be cruising the rivers in Europe.

But those can wait a bit.

The boat i was on went so slow that there were very few times i felt the waves - mostly in the cabin because we had a first deck room. As always, as long as you pick something with good vegetarian options, you'll survive.

It's ultimately about the shore excursions where you stop over and ensuring that you don't miss the boat...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb