WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Man that song I want to cover (Where Eagles Dare) is a very BUSY song! I spent a good 3-4 hours practicing it last night... For the guitar players, (as well as the bass and drums) there's no rest at all in that song.. I mean, if you're going to play it, you've got to be ready to play the whole song from the beginning to the end. There are NO breaks!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

In other news, Clash Royale got it's first major update. Matchmaking, balance improvements, and added a few new features like now you get a little gold from each match... Game's still frustrating as hell!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Man that song I want to cover (Where Eagles Dare) is a very BUSY song! I spent a good 3-4 hours practicing it last night... For the guitar players, (as well as the bass and drums) there's no rest at all in that song.. I mean, if you're going to play it, you've got to be ready to play the whole song from the beginning to the end. There are NO breaks!

That's fairly typical of most Iron Maiden songs, not all though. I've always found their songs fairly complex. Steve Harris is the composer on pretty much all songs, so the unique sound tends to come from his baselines. Which I might add are hard to learn as well, I've been told that from bassists. Nothing in their songs is simple that's for sure!

I was (am?) a big Iron Maiden fan when I was younger. I knew every song, every album up to Fear of The Dark.

Peace of Mind is one of my favourite albums.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks.

So you're telling me that the GF's house is not a good spot for the G4? A dead spot worse than where I live in terms of getting service?

Yet my Maxx chomps through and holds onto signal the same that the IRS holds onto people for unpaid taxes? This isn't very good...

G4 Approved

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh, MIA, a friend of mine (the guy who works for MS) came in the other day with his new 950XL. (Apparently he took advantage of the recent BOGO sale.) So I finally got a chance to play with one of these bad boys for a few minutes...

Quick impressions: I agree about the "compact" feeling of a 5.7" screen, though I layed my 6S Plus next to it and both are pretty much the same exact size, screen wise and body. The XL felt surprisingly light in the hand, though very well built quality wise. It's an attractive phone, especially with that silver ring around the camera lens. I can see where the 3rd party "Mozo" backs can enhance the "look" and premium feeling.

Briefly poking around in the OS felt like I was on my 1520. Quick and snappy; the camera app launched right away with a click of the dedicated camera shutter button, (just as it does on the 1520) and the picture saved without any hesitation or "Saving......." message on the screen. (This is where the 1520 sometimes struggles).

Other than that, I couldn't really "feel" the extra horsepower of the 810, though I'm sure with extended use, and under certain conditions, the power of the newer processor and other updated hardware (3GB RAM) would reveal itself.

All in all, the 950XL is a fantastic phone for Win10 Mobile. This would have been my natural choice had I continued my upgrade path on Windows Phone (920->1020->1520->950XL) but with Microsoft's severely gimped App Store, and lack of 3rd party dev support, I finally had to give in and steer around it.

As a consumer, I (we) deserve no less than being able to have access to ALL of the apps and services that everyone else has. I can't just settle for a device where I have to keep saying "oh, they don't have that for this phone", or "I can't do that on this phone"... or the best one; "they're working on that" "it's coming soon!" lol

I was talking to my MS buddy about all of this (as I fondled his XL), and used one particular game as an example; 8 Ball Pool by Miniclip. I showed him the game on my 6S Plus, and how it integrates with my Facebook friends list and coworkers that also play it. He goes "What? We have that! (Pulling up the store on his XL) Look, there's like 20 different pool games here in the store!" I'm like "No man... you don't understand... None of those are the same "8 Ball Pool by Miniclip" that everyone else is playing!!"

I had the feeling as I was talking to him about this, that his mindset was the same as Microsoft's as a whole on these matters (maybe that's how MS trains these guys?); just litter the store with a few dozen generic apps/games that are "similar" to the real thing and call it a day... Maybe nobody will notice... FAIL!!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was talking to my MS buddy about all of this (as I fondled his XL), and used one particular game as an example; 8 Ball Pool by Miniclip. I showed him the game on my 6S Plus, and how it integrates with my Facebook friends list and coworkers that also play it. He goes "What? We have that! (Pulling up the store on his XL) Look, there's like 20 different pool games here in the store!" I'm like "No man... you don't understand... None of those are the same "8 Ball Pool by Miniclip" that everyone else is playing!!"

I had the feeling as I was talking to him about this, that his mindset was the same as Microsoft's as a whole on these matters (maybe that's how MS trains these guys?); just litter the store with a few dozen generic apps/games that are "similar" to the real thing and call it a day... Maybe nobody will notice... FAIL!!!

Honestly if he's that much in the dark about online mobile gaming there is truly no hope for MS...

I'm not one for gaming myself but even I know the difference.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

That's fairly typical of most Iron Maiden songs, not all though. I've always found their songs fairly complex. Steve Harris is the composer on pretty much all songs, so the unique sound tends to come from his baselines. Which I might add are hard to learn as well, I've been told that from bassists. Nothing in their songs is simple that's for sure!

I was (am?) a big Iron Maiden fan when I was younger. I knew every song, every album up to Fear of The Dark.

Peace of Mind is one of my favourite albums.

Oh yea, I know. I was a huge fan too. Like you, I know all the songs off of every album, and know about Steve writing all (most) of the songs and his intricate baselines as well. He was the founding member of the band and basically the "leader" of the band.

From a playing standpoint, while most of their songs do "sound" complex, Where Eagles Dare is probably the most difficult just because of the chord arrangements. Even over The Trooper, which also sounds like a "busy" song, but the chord arrangement is a much more comfortable playing position. It's kinda hard to explain.. I'd have to show you on the guitar.

I've also always been a big fan of Derek Rigg's hand painted album cover artwork and "Eddie". Back in the day, I'd just stare at these album covers and study them. There was always a "hidden" black cat with a halo over it's head somewhere, and other tiny details on all of their albums. (I still have all my vinyl!)

I've always thought it was interesting the way they spelled "Piece of Mind" as well, implying that Eddie had had some sort of lobotomy, as indicated by the top of his skull being bolted back on on the cover... lol

Btw, Derek Riggs still runs and maintains his website where you can buy his artwork. He's got a lot of good stuff that never made it to the album covers... http://www.derekriggs.com/

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning, Ed.

You're absolutely correct - they don't have a clue at MSFT and the hardware for the 950 is nice. I layer it against my G4 and it is only slightly bigger and wider. It feels very compact, for a big screen phone. My mitts are huge and I can one hand it fairly decently.

I'm headed home tonight and so I'll grab the spare memory card I have. If I'm still having issues with service at the GF's, I may end up switching to the XL quicker than I'd like.

I won't completely knock MSFT though, they are trying. The issue is they're trying to walk a tight rope of satisfying the needs of the consumer of today and getting buy in for the stuff coming in the pipeline. Very difficult to do.

Still...Here's my problem:

iOS debut: summer 2007
Android debut: fall 2008
Windows Phone debut: fall 2010

So you're telling me, we're nearly 6 years in, and the number #3 OS in mobile is still struggling to find traction? How is that acceptable?

G4 Approved

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Oh yea, I know. I was a huge fan too. Like you, I know all the songs off of every album, and know about Steve writing all (most) of the songs and his intricate baselines as well. He was the founding member of the band and basically the "leader" of the band.

From a playing standpoint, while most of their songs do "sound" complex, Where Eagles Dare is probably the most difficult just because of the chord arrangements. Even over The Trooper, which also sounds like a "busy" song, but the chord arrangement is a much more comfortable playing position. It's kinda hard to explain.. I'd have to show you on the guitar.

I've also always been a big fan of Derek Rigg's hand painted album cover artwork and "Eddie". Back in the day, I'd just stare at these album covers and study them. There was always a "hidden" black cat with a halo over it's head somewhere, and other tiny details on all of their albums. (I still have all my vinyl!)

I've always thought it was interesting the way they spelled "Piece of Mind" as well, implying that Eddie had had some sort of lobotomy, as indicated by the top of his skull being bolted back on on the cover... lol

Btw, Derek Riggs still runs and maintains his website where you can buy his artwork. He's got a lot of good stuff that never made it to the album covers... http://www.derekriggs.com/

I used to draw Eddie when I was younger. Along with other album covers but Eddie was my favourite.

One of my favourite songs is from Number of the Beast - Hallowed be thy name

Very long note near the beginning of the song and was amazing live.

I get the general gist of complex chords. I was learning the guitar a long time ago but it got too expensive for my mum to carry on paying for it and I have to be honest I wasn't as interested I wanted to be at the time. I do regret it a touch now. I simply get too distracted and get interested in other things to want to practice. Well that's me anyway.

There's always something stopping me from doing things...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

What I have learned in history so far Is that the U.S has some ****Ed up parts in history especially Vietnam. What made me shake my head was when I saw the former advisor to lbj while laughing" we messed up ".

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I had a cold glass coke bottle imported from Mexico! I don't know why but I think coke tastes better in a glass bottle
Actually it tastes better because it's recipe is slightly different and also the fact that it's made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I get the general gist of complex chords.
It's not that the chords themselves are complex, they're not. They're just (as with most metal songs) standard power chords. It's that the actual songs are complex as a whole, with these simple power chords all over the place, all up and down the neck of the guitar.

It's like the difference between a classical piece, where you'd have one or two complicated, or complex (6 string) chords versus a metal song where you have 8-10 simple power chords (2-3 string chords) at all different locations on the neck, played very quickly.

With the former, you're focused on precise finger placement for these complex chords, where the latter, the power chords all have the same basic chord "shape" with the fingers. You're just moving your hand up and down the neck to different positions more rapidly. It's more like a workout! lol

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Today is another day for a fun event on campus. I wonder how the live events are going to be. Should be fun either way

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786