WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It also doesn't help that most people in the US never heard of the Maxx.

Laura, the other truth is that the market is so saturated that it isn't about users buying what they like...it's about OEMs generating a hit phone that people are willing to buy to build their bottom lines. Sahib, 99 and I have one thing in common - we bought a Lumia 810 at some point, which was a good phone at the time. But as it didn't sell well, it was killed off by T-Mobile 4 months after launch.

The Droid Turbo (I own the international version called the Maxx) has the same base hardware as the Google run Nexus 6. But, becuase it sold so-so globally and not as much here on Verizon, it took so long to get updates (it went from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2 as 5.0 and 5.0.1 were skipped, and it is supposed to go from 5.0.2 to 6.0.1, skipping 5.1, 5.1.1 and 6.0) it'll barely meet the OEM support requirements by fall 2016 where it gets kicked to the curb for the Moto Z.

It's not a bad phone. My two knocks against it are the camera and the update situation. It runs much better on 6.0.1 soak test and you have to abuse it to kill the battery in one day. But it gets thrown in the pile of decent phones that weren't a hit.

So while there are many choices in Android, buyer beware as you may buy a phone you like that doesn't sell well and you're permanently stuck with what the phone can only do out of the box.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I'll be interested in what Nokia is going to bring out. I won't say I'm buying right away but I'm curious if they have any chance.

In the USA, probably not. In the EU, probably 50% if they bring out good hardware and software.

I'm just unsure if they learnt from their past and if they will do something different than what everyone else is doing.

It's getting kind of boring. I'll need a new phone closer to the end of the year or early next so I'm in no hurry. Nothing really excites me currently.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Laure, the other truth is that the market is so saturatedthat it isn't about users buying what they like...it's about OEMs generating a hit phone that people are willing to buy to build their bottom lines. Sahib, 99 and I have one thing in common - we bought a Lumia 810 at some point, which was a good phone at the time. But as it didn't sell well, it was killed off by T-Mobile 4 months after launch.

The Droid Turbo (I own the international version called the Maxx) has the same base hardware as the Google run Nexus 6. But, becuase it sold so-so globally and not as much here on Verizon, it took so long to get updates (it went from 4.4.4 to 5.0.2 as 5.0 and 5.0.1 were skipped, and it is supposed to go from 5.0.2 to 6.0.1, skipping 5.1, 5.1.1 and 6.0) it'll barely meet the OEM support requirements by fall 2016 where it gets kicked to the curb for the Moto Z.

It's not a bad phone. My two knocks against it are the camera and the update situation. It runs much better on 6.0.1 soak test and you have to abuse it to kill the battery in one day. But it gets thrown in the pile of decent phones that weren't a hit.

So while there are many choices in Android, buyer beware as you may buy a phone you like that doesn't sell well and you're permanently stuck with what the phone can only do out of the box.

I'm not a fan of the USA carriers. They have way too much power when it comes to the phones. The silly network issues on top of that doesn't help either.

Leave it to the free market to make life a pain.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Laure, the other truth is that the market is so saturatedthat it isn't about users buying what they like...it's about OEMs generating a hit phone that people are willing to buy to build their bottom lines. Sahib, 99 and I have one thing in common - we bought a Lumia 810 at some point, which was a good phone at the time. But as it didn't sell well, it was killed off by T-Mobile 4 months after launch.

Does the Maxx has an unlockable bootloader? Are there any custom ROMs for it if one doesn't wish to wait for an official OTA update? It should be old enough by now that voiding the warranty by unlocking the bootloader wouldn't matter.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'll be interested in what Nokia is going to bring out. I won't say I'm buying right away but I'm curious if they have any chance.

In the USA, probably not. In the EU, probably 50% if they bring out good hardware and software.

I'm just unsure if they learnt from their past and if they will do something different than what everyone else is doing.

It's getting kind of boring. I'll need a new phone closer to the end of the year or early next so I'm in no hurry. Nothing really excites me currently.
I'd like to see a Nokia Nexus device.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Does the Maxx has an unlockable bootloader? Are there any custom ROMs for it if one doesn't wish to wait for an official OTA update? It should be old enough by now that voiding the warranty by unlocking the bootloader wouldn't matter.

My bootloader is unlocked. You can set up xposed on 5.0.2; stuff is in the works to do that on the unofficial 6.0.1.There are 6.0.1 ROMs out...three very good branches. My phone isn't rooted but I was able to flash the Soak Test #1 6.0.1 and it runs great. The XDA community is small but active - thank goodness. MUI was ported to the device and there was a Xperia Z 5.1.1 port too.

My point though is that I don't want to have to do all that. I have a 950 XL I can beta test on. Yes, I could get a 5X as a daily driver and flash all the ROMs I want to either there or on the Maxx, but I'm long past being a flashaholic or flashing out of necessity because the OEM didn't make a product appealing enough to sell to enough folks to warrant the update team being big enough to continue pouring in resources to support the device.

It's the principle of the thing. These phones aren't sold cheaply. It's a faux illusion to ask people to upgrade annually for the latest popular hotness to guarantee software support, just like how it is to ask people to do that with cars.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They've got no shot. Sadly. Android high end is too saturated and the midrange is going to cripple OEMs once the Chinese really set up shop.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm not a fan of the USA carriers. They have way too much power when it comes to the phones. The silly network issues on top of that doesn't help either.

Leave it to the free market to make life a pain.

That's what happens when the carriers are big enough to wrote some serious $$$ contracts to get phones from OEMs...better have a hit in the US or you're screwed...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Would love to see a Sony one too, but I doubt either will happen within the next 2 years...

I have no opinion of Sony mobile devices. AT&T never sold them, and they're hard to buy unlocked. Do the unlocked Sony devices even support US LTE bands? I've never seen a Sony device used by anyone I know, so I don't even know what their launcher is like. I don't think T-Mobile or Verizon sell Sony devices any longer.

Even if AT&T never sold Moto devices, I would still be able to play with a Moto device at a Verizon store.

Does the Maxx support US LTE bands?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I have no opinion of Sony mobile devices. AT&T never sold them, and they're hard to buy unlocked. Do the unlocked Sony devices even support US LTE bands? I've never seen a Sony device used by anyone I know, so I don't even know what their launcher is like. I don't think T-Mobile or Verizon sell Sony devices any longer.

Even if AT&T never sold Moto devices, I would still be able to play with a Moto device at a Verizon store.

Does the Maxx support US LTE bands?

At&t sold many a Sony phone. The last they sold was the Xperia Ion. If you want to use the Xperia home launcher, I can send you an apk I have for one lying around somewhere. Their unlocked models, if you know which ones to buy get LTE. My dd6603 model for the Xperia Z3 got LTE on at&t and T-Mobile.

No LTE for me in my Maxx, even though it supports it. I get 4G as I'm in T-Mobile. I'd likely get full LTE on at&t.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm still up as my friend who I gave her a 8X two summers ago as a birthday left had it stolen tonight...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That is a bummer. On the other hand you might want to gift her the M8😉

She's a iPhone SE sized gal...prefers tiny models with her small hands and all. She thought the 8X was huge. She had a purse case...i never liked those...phone fell in a cab, and somehow she got back her cards and ID but no phone and no money...SMH...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They've got no shot. Sadly. Android high end is too saturated and the midrange is going to cripple OEMs once the Chinese really set up shop.

I don't disagree with you at all. For Nokia to succeed, if that is their goal, they'll need to do something pretty special.

I think the mobile market on the whole is saturated. The only OS that isn't is WM....

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The Google I/O looked interesting. I'll have to see about listening to the keynote.

What I've read so far is interesting.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Hi all. Cloudy here today but still warm enough. I really want to go yet or the explore feature on my band 2 but my lunch break is over and there's even less chance I'll get time later.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

At&t sold many a Sony phone. The last they sold was the Xperia Ion. If you want to use the Xperia home launcher, I can send you an apk I have for one lying around somewhere. Their unlocked models, if you know which ones to buy get LTE. My dd6603 model for the Xperia Z3 got LTE on at&t and T-Mobile.

No LTE for me in my Maxx, even though it supports it. I get 4G as I'm in T-Mobile. I'd likely get full LTE on at&t.

No wonder I never heard of the Xperia Ion. I just looked it up. It was released with Gingerbread, when almost everything else was released with Ice Cream Sandwich by that time. Announced at 2012 CES and not released until 6 months later. The Android Central review only had 21 comments, mostly negative (bad button placement, dislike of rubber port covers, bad battery life).My guess is that I never saw it in a store, since it was in the back of the store hidden away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb