WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
No wonder I never heard of the Xperia Ion. I just looked it up. It was released with Gingerbread, when almost everything else was released with Ice Cream Sandwich by that time. Announced at 2012 CES and not released until 6 months later. The Android Central review only had 21 comments, mostly negative (bad button placement, dislike of rubber port covers, bad battery life).My guess is that I never saw it in a store, since it was in the back of the store hidden away.

Oh, it was there. I remember during that time walking into some stores and actually seen one, and even fondling one for a little bit. That phone was never my cup of tea. By the time Sony stepped their game up with Z line, AT&T decided that it wasn't worth it. Kind of like the same place HTC is in now with the HTC 10 and the fact that AT&T dropped the phone.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Oh, it was there. I remember during that time walking into some stores and actually seen one, and even fondling one for a little bit. That phone was never my cup of tea. By the time Sony stepped their game up with Z line, AT&T decided that it wasn't worth it. Kind of like the same place HTC is in now with the HTC 10 and the fact that AT&T dropped the phone.

Posted via Moto Maxx
I think AT&T has the same bad relationship with HTC as Verizon does with Microsoft.

AT&T got burned by the HTC First and hasn't forgotten that.

Verizon got burned by the Microsoft Kin and hasn't forgotten that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I think AT&T has the same bad relationship with HTC as Verizon does with Microsoft.

AT&T got burned by the HTC First and hasn't forgotten that.

Verizon got burned by the Microsoft Kin and hasn't forgotten that.

You can also throw Sony and T-Mobile in a similar place with their Z line. They carried the Z, Z1S and Z3. All i would ever hear are horrible stories about returns and quality control issues. Plus they kept their bootloader locked, so that was that.

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I don't disagree with you at all. For Nokia to succeed, if that is their goal, they'll need to do something pretty special.

I think the mobile market on the whole is saturated. The only OS that isn't is WM....

Even that I can argue is saturated too to some degree.

Posted via Moto Maxx

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Well I just saw a few elder folks with big signs saying "vote for Bernie sanders" and feel the bern" that was interesting :p

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. Got a morning of meetings to grind through...

Morning MIA... gang..

Working the evening shift myself. I got up early to get some Doom time in. Also some Clash Royale time!

Then, I'll try to squeeze a nap in before work later...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Even that I can argue is saturated too to some degree.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Depends on your idea of what saturation is I guess

Nokia flooded the market but there's really nothing around to fill the void now. No OEM is really putting out much in the way of W10M.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I'm not a fan of the USA carriers. They have way too much power when it comes to the phones. The silly network issues on top of that doesn't help either.

Leave it to the free market to make life a pain.

I'm not too familiar with the situation in UK, but carriers here don't have that much influence when it comes to phone sales. Most of the folks have unlocked phones, and even those who don't unlock them sooner or later. One of the reasons may be 'cause they don't really offer better prices than other regular store do. As a matter fact some of the phones carriers are selling are even more expensive if you buy them there. Great example of this is Samsung S6, you can get it for 480$ - 520$, while carriers sell it for 680$.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Nokia flooded the market but there's really nothing around to fill the void now. No OEM is really putting out much in the way of W10M.

I don't think Nokia will repeat the same mistakes twice by flooding the market. That's just me being optimistic

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm not too familiar with the situation in UK, but carriers here don't have that much influence when it comes to phone sales. Most of the folks have unlocked phones, and even those who don't unlock them sooner or later. One of the reasons may be 'cause they don't really offer better prices than other regular store do. As a matter fact some of the phones carriers are selling are even more expensive if you buy them there. Great example of this is Samsung S6, you can get it for 480$ - 520$, while carriers sell it for 680$.

In the UK we have similar situations to the US but without the messed up network situation they have there with Verizon.

People get phones on contracts here because it's easy. The carriers like it because they make the most money that way. People like me they don't really like, unlocked and SIM free.

Though there are more and more people getting the unlocked phones here in the UK.

Prices at carriers are always expensive so they make their contracts look cheaper.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Good morning everyone. Only three meetings today, except they take up the whole day from 9:30 AM till 5 PM :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

That's why I said the market is flooded. When HTC/Verizon dropped Windows 10 support for the M8, it was another reminder that MSFT is the sole author of the OS. No one else won't fully support it...and until there is a non Lumia/Surface hit, nothing won't change here.

Nokia flooded the market too well branding wise too. Until someone builds a good phone and it is marketed well enough, then things will remain the same. The last good phone that was marketed in quality as well as the Lumia was the 8X.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Ugh ended up using my nap time to level up in DOOM... I'm gonna be a tired puppy tonight at work. Self inflicted!

Thank god for 5 hour energy shots!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

A stinky neighbor paid a visit to my apartment complex.
50c3789c6e94af2b4fc056ada87fc769.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo