WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Where'd you get that? I'd like to check it out. I have no clue how to patch the cables though. I've only used digital synthesizers. Maybe some old issues of Keyboard Player might have tutorials, or old issues of Keyboard Player might have some interviews with Wakeman or Emerson where they discuss the patching. I'm thinking some article titled "How to get a Rick Wakeman sound" or "How to get a Keith Emerson sound" might explain the analog Moog.

If this were a Hammond organ in question, then that would be very easy for me to decipher. I've played a B3. The other models aren't much different, and I know the keyboard sites list what stops to use on the Hammond for various songs.
And while we're on the subject, coincidently, the new DOOM soundtrack was composed by a guy named Mick Gordon, who uses various patch modulators and synths (as well as a 9 string guitar!)

Very interesting stuff in this "making of the Doom soundtrack" type video (2 parts)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Oh yeah ;)? Try this type of cold
7ccb204a10a7f68482d1cfae57670287.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Wow, all great stuff, but that last link.. Lots of good reading about those ELP performances! Some of the greatest minds way before their time!
This was from an ELP show in 1971, with 4 knives.
[video=youtube;xggFzkyd288]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xggFzkyd288[/video]

That wasn't new at the time. Emerson used knives in his Hammond during the 60s when he was in The Nice. It wasn't just for show. The knives sustained notes. In the video I linked, he also turned the Hammond off and on again, which produced a distinct sound.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I've been working on a Moog inspired composition tonight. An original piece with five tracks so far. Haven't decided if I want to add any guitar to it or not yet...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I've been working on a Moog inspired composition tonight. An original piece with five tracks so far. Haven't decided if I want to add any guitar to it or not yet...
Cool! I'm looking forward to hearing it.
Of course mine is a little more "modern" sounding lol
I picked that particular video mainly for the visual effects with the "smoking Moog". The weird Dalek sounding speech on "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" was created using a ring modulator on the Moog.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

For Sahib, if you have no idea what a Moog sounds like, this is probably the best introduction.
The Moog is present from around 3:26 to the end.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Cool! I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I picked that particular video mainly for the visual effects with the "smoking Moog". The weird Dalek sounding speech on "Karn Evil 9 3rd Impression" was created using a ring modulator on the Moog.
The amazing thing about these synthesizers and modulators, is how versatile they are. And you're only limited to your imagination with the sounds you can create. The fun part is playing with all the patches, dials, and switches until you just stumble upon something that makes you go "Whoah! That sounds awesome!"...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The amazing thing about these synthesizers and modulators, is how versatile they are. And you're only limited to your imagination with the sounds you can create. The fun part is playing with all the patches, dials, and switches until you just stumble upon something that makes you go "Whoah! That sounds awesome!"...
The other nice thing is not having to deal with issues of calibration. Modular Moogs were not designed to be used on stage. They were designed to use in the studio. Back in the 70s, Emerson's Moog would be calibrated in an empty arena. Once the audience arrived the temperature change would make the Moog go out of tune. He had to adjust it on the fly.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

You can buy one of these for like $150,000 btw lol

I'd rather buy a house with that kind of money, and only spend $150 on the software version for the PC, or $19.99 for the iOS app!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I love the initial low frequency growl at 3:15ish!
That's probably something else that was different in live performances in the 70s and nowadays.

I read some articles about the reintroduction of Emerson's Moog by Moog Music. The sound engineer described the differences between it and modern digital synthesizers, and said that he put a noise gate around Emerson's Moog during a 2014 performance. Noise from the Moog probably wasn't a concern in the 70s.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

https://youtu.be/n3K_fZDvINs

You can buy one of these for like $150,000 btw lol

I'd rather buy a house with that kind of money, and only spend $150 on the software version for the PC, or $19.99 for the iOS app!
Yep, I gave links to the $150K model and the $35K model here.

I'd need a house for that thing anyways! The house would also have to be far away from any neighbors.

Another cool instrument Moog makes is the theremin. Moog Music Inc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12