WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

You might have noticed the referendum in the UK... we voted out more or less on those kind of issues.

Also the US has always been like that for as long as I've known. Fear is the easiest way to control a population. Nationalism is a good rallying call. Ignorance is the best way to be proud.

This is the world we live in.

For you younger people this all seems new. For some of us older people it feels like a bad song on repeat.

I'm only 18, and I've witnessed that bad loop for at least three time now that I remember. Same incapable people getting elected year by year, doing same **** to people over and over again, and still people complain. Just like in Brexit case. Everyone is regreting and complaining now, where the hell were they when the call was being made? With their head in the sand, that's where.
I can't even think of how sick of the whole situation older people are. I'm afraid worse is yet about to happen. Speaking of my country, sadly, I have to say that I see absolutelly no future here. Demographics are just too complicated.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Australia is 'ise' but here in the UK is a mixture as well. Most people recognise both.
I've been listening almost exclusively to UK artists and bands recently.
last.fm recent.PNG

I've seen quite a few song and/or album titles with UK spellings such as: manoeuvres, civilisation, realisation. The pronunciations of certain words are UK style too: leisure rhymes with pleasure, status sounds like "state" "us".

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I guess that's why it would be hard to find the android device for me. I don't like messing with my phones since well they should right of the box.

You don't have to mess with your Android phone if you don't want to. It's not necessary. The only setup is the same as your Start Screen on a Windows device. After that you can install/remove apps, widgets etc as you please.

Also more and more OEMs are going for a more vanilla like Android experience these days.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Speaking of language, I used "English UK" for a while on my phone settings, since I like DMY better than MDY for calendar. Unfortunately, I did not like having a "torch" instead of a "flashlight", or having an "aeroplane mode", so I switched back to "English US".

I still use 24 h time format.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Speaking of language, I used "English UK" for a while on my phone settings, since I like DMY better than MDY for calendar. Unfortunately, I did not like having a "torch" instead of a "flashlight", or having an "aeroplane mode", so I switched back to "English US".

I still use 24 h time format.

MDY always gets me confused. I've been using US English on my phones for as much as 9 years or so, still not used to it.
I've never used Bosnian, it's so confusing on phones.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

The song is not specific to any country but a statement of the world. Listen to the lyrics closely. Keep in mind this is an 80s song.
One of my classmates used that song in a political science presentation in high school when it was a current hit.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm only 18, and I've witnessed that bad loop for at least three time now that I remember. Same incapable people getting elected year by year, doing same **** to people over and over again, and still people complain. Just like in Brexit case. Everyone is regreting and complaining now, where the hell were they when the call was being made? With their head in the sand, that's where.
I can't even think of how sick of the whole situation older people are. I'm afraid worse is yet about to happen. Speaking of my country, sadly, I have to say that I see absolutelly no future here. Demographics are just too complicated.

I saw a show last night on the Britexit and they interviewed mostly people on the exit side trying to sort out why the wanted it so badly.

It's come down to three reasons that I can tell.

1. Uncontrolled immigration. Most saw this as a big issue and all the negative aspects of it. Regardless how much immigrants add to the economy most focused on the negative impact, mostly pointing out the impact on services, which have little to do with immigrants or the EU but a lack of proper government.

2. Protest. Strangely at first thought a protest vote was a weird thing until I saw this show. What struck me was how few people had voted before this referendum and this is the first time a lot of people had even voted. The protest was that they felt they were being left behind. That a change was needed. That they weren't being herd by the establishment, the elite of society. So they felt this was the only way to make a statement. Regardless of the consequences. They wanted to shake things up. Of course their laziness of not being engaged before the referendum is why a lot of their communities are in the state they are.

3. Nostalgia. This mostly pegged on the older voters and for good reason. Lots of talk of how things were and an expectation of a return to that with the UK being 'independent' from the EU. Of course the EU had nothing to do with this, this is based on corporate greed, lack of investment and poor government. Nostalgia is the worst kind of thinking in my view and it's not realistic.

Though I can relate to the issues of uncontrolled immigration it wouldn't really be an issue if government would invest in services properly but we've had nothing but successive governments who've done nothing but cut staffing. So the strain has been greater than it need be.

The other two are poor choices but I can at least relate to the protest. However, leaving it to such a large decision and taking no action or interest prior to this is a sheer sign of ignorance of the highest order. Add in that they have clear misconceptions of the EU on top of that and this is why we got to where we are.

I guess we'll see what happens now.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

MDY always gets me confused. I've been using US English on my phones for as much as 9 years or so, still not used to it.
I've never used Bosnian, it's so confusing on phones.
This is the English UK setting.
0d4abca277996bd72ecee4b7ce3423dd.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

True. But it has much wider impact when it's happening in a country such as USA. Remember what happened when the last Trump-like president was elected? Nothing good I'm afraid.

If you're referring to Bush Jr., he wasn't 'Trump-like'. He was extreme right wing with high levels of conservative values. Probably the worst 8 years of a US presidency.

Personally as much as I loath Trump I think he's lying to his crowds. He believes the right is easy to manipulate. That's why he choose to run as a Republican. He's even stated as much.

Though lots of people hate Trump and are fearful of his presidency I don't believe it would be as bad as Bush. But that is a guess.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Nothing wrong with 'torch' and 'aeroplane'. :p

Maybe try Australian English. It's a bit different. They don't use Torch but I'm not sure about aeroplane... I can't remember. LOL!

Like the name of your WiFi by the way.
I'll try it.

I know English Canada wouldn't fix the calendar formatting, since Canada uses the same calendar format as the US.

BTW, my cousin, who had the family for the holiday party, got a new coffee maker. Her coffee tasted great.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If you're referring to Bush Jr., he wasn't 'Trump-like'. He was extreme right wing with high levels of conservative values. Probably the worst 8 years of a US presidency.

Personally as much as I loath Trump I think he's lying to his crowds. He believes the right is easy to manipulate. That's why he choose to run as a Republican. He's even stated as much.

Though lots of people hate Trump and are fearful of his presidency I don't believe it would be as bad as Bush. But that is a guess.
I don't trust Trump as much as those folks.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'll try it.

I know English Canada wouldn't fix the calendar formatting, since Canada uses the same calendar format as the US.

BTW, my cousin, who had the family for the holiday party, got a new coffee maker. Her coffee tasted great.

I've been loving our new machine. The coffee has been great.

We're in London this Friday and I'm going to get some more coffee from the Algerian Coffee Shop. Looking forward to it. Need to buy lots this time!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos