WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

No way you can play guitar with those gloves...

True, so very true. Aside from the pressure needed to do cords properly, you'd loose the feel of the strings. On top of that the gloves would end up making it sound different.

Maybe Ed would have a different opinion but that's my take on it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

True, so very true. Aside from the pressure needed to do cords properly, you'd loose the feel of the strings. On top of that the gloves would end up making it sound different.

You're right.

I have a friend who is a guitarist and bassist. She plays a vintage Gibson Les Paul that she restored. She also knows how to play a Fender Jazz bass.

Her amps are vintage Fender tube amps.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

You're right.

I have a friend who is a guitarist and bassist. She plays a vintage Gibson Les Paul that she restored. She also knows how to play a Fender Jazz bass.

Her amps are vintage Fender tube amps.

I remember a few years back there was this fascination with tube technology again to the point they had them on PC motherboards.

I know there's a few people who still feel tubes sound better and are probably right to some extent but in generally, a tube is an early form of transistor. It may have better analogue capture but that's debatable.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm just a crappy former keyboard player who would like to be half as good as Keith Emerson.

I'm a crappy former guitar player who still thinks about picking up again the guitar from time to time. I need lessons though. I can't really call myself a 'player'... :p

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I remember a few years back there was this fascination with tube technology again to the point they had them on PC motherboards.

I know there's a few people who still feel tubes sound better and are probably right to some extent but in generally, a tube is an early form of transistor. It may have better analogue capture but that's debatable.
I won't argue with my friend, since she has a music degree.

I still have a Technics turntable that I purchased almost 30 years ago.

I'd love to have an analogue Moog synthesizer.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm a crappy former guitar player who still thinks about picking up again the guitar from time to time. I need lessons though. I can't really call myself a 'player'... :p

I could play Bach on the organ, but I certainly couldn't play Bach backwards on the organ.tumblr_lpw0lmtTUJ1qibts9o1_400.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Keith Emerson's death was tragic, but I understand it.

He never really did anything other than music, other than work as a bank teller for a short time when he was a teenager.

I'd have a hard time if I spent my entire life doing one thing, only to be unable to do what I loved any longer.
sad.png

I played keyboards when I was in school, but I was never even 1% as good as Keith.

We do have his music, which will live on. As Keith said on the liner notes of Ars Longa Vita Brevis by the Nice, " Tomorrow is yesterday's history and art will still be there, even if life terminates."

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

I read that it was pre-recorded, so it was shot more like MTV :D

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

For anyone really interested in vacuum tubes vs transistors here's a very technical paper on it - tvst1

After reading that it makes a bit more sense to me. Transistors are notorious for introducing 7th and 9th level harmonic distortions, usually at higher power. This is a factor with some high powered electronics I've dealt with in the past and a reason why harmonic filters are very important when installing these devices near residential areas but also harmonics are generally bad for your system and can cause all sorts of problems.

So if they were to put harmonic filters or apply some of the technology I know of to amplifiers they could get rid of this issue altogether and produce a sound closer to a tube if not better.

I'm curious if any of the high end manufactures have looked into this or not.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo