WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Here's something somewhat amusing... sort of. Maybe it's just my warped sense of fair play but who knows?

My work has a bit of an issue at the moment. This issue has been caused by the recent movement of people into new offices. I've moved twice in the last 6 weeks. I'm at this desk for a while anyway.

Now, here's the issue - they moved whole of the engineering into one building (we have four buildings), each with three four floors of desk space. The building I'm in is the second largest.

So why is this an issue? Well, for those who don't know, engineering is still pretty much a male dominated workforce. To give an example, on my half section of floor there is over 100 people and only five women. This is approximately the same on every floor. We have toilets on every level but there appears to be an issue with them being used at peek times. So in contrast to what is usually an issue for women, lineups at the toilet, we're experiencing something similar here.

I find that slightly funny but also worrisome at the same time.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

18 years to the day, never worked contract, always a salaried employee and never got a dime in overtime pay...good old 'Murica!

Overtime in 'Murica (especially where I work) means they give you MORE work to do OVER TIME at the same pay rate...

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Here's something somewhat amusing... sort of. Maybe it's just my warped sense of fair play but who knows?

My work has a bit of an issue at the moment. This issue has been caused by the recent movement of people into new offices. I've moved twice in the last 6 weeks. I'm at this desk for a while anyway.

Now, here's the issue - they moved whole of the engineering into one building (we have four buildings), each with three four floors of desk space. The building I'm in is the second largest.

So why is this an issue? Well, for those who don't know, engineering is still pretty much a male dominated workforce. To give an example, on my half section of floor there is over 100 people and only five women. This is approximately the same on every floor. We have toilets on every level but there appears to be an issue with them being used at peek times. So in contrast to what is usually an issue for women, lineups at the toilet, we're experiencing something similar here.

I find that slightly funny but also worrisome at the same time.

This is where having gender neutral cans would be the most useful in that situation. However, since it's a male-dominated Workforce, what will happen is (if it hasn't happened already) that at least five to ten men have tried to hit on the five women so far. So the ladies might say they're not comfortable with that idea of a gender neutral can.

There's actually talk at my workplace of going to gender neutral cans. We serve a steady transgender population and have a few LGBT staff as well. We're in the opposite situation, where there is mostly women to men where I work. Still, there are some women who are not going to be comfortable with that idea. It will be interesting to see how see how this plays out in New York City public schools, because they're going to be transitioning to gender-neutral cans this fall...

Posted via Moto Maxx

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Overtime in 'Murica (especially where I work) means they give you MORE work to do OVER TIME at the same pay rate...

Posted via Moto Maxx

In Canada, when I was working as staff, the rates were good for overtime but my hourly rate was crap. So the overtime helped.

As a contractor I got the same rate of pay regardless of how many hours I worked.

Where I work now I think it's the same rate as well.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Morning folks. I'm semi asleep and have lower bull**** tolerance levels today...

Posted via Moto Maxx

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is where having gender neutral cans would be the most useful in that situation. However, since it's a male-dominated Workforce, what will happen is (if it hasn't happened already) that at least five to ten men have tried to hit on the five women so far. So the ladies might say they're not comfortable with that idea of a gender neutral can.

There's actually talk at my workplace of going to gender neutral cans. We serve a steady transgender population and have a few LGBT staff as well. We're in the opposite situation, where there is mostly women to men where I work. Still, there are some women who are not going to be comfortable with that idea. It will be interesting to see how see how this plays out in New York City public schools, because they're going to be transitioning to gender-neutral cans this fall...

Posted via Moto Maxx

Maybe it's an age thing or something and I know that there would be some people who have issues with gender neutral toilets but personally I don't see the issue. Matter of fact I see them more and more in places these days. Really, what's the point of having two sets of toilets and sinks when you can have one large quantity of toilets and reduced number of sinks? The whole division on gender really is pointless.

As for guys hitting on the ladies here, I have no doubt it's happened. There are of course some singles but the ones who are taken I'm sure can handle themselves. I'm sure some of them have had to get the guys to back off.

We do have a generous amount of ladies here but they're in other positions than engineering.

groady-ho baluzy

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site

Wait til y'all are old and retired. Unisex bathrooms are the least of your worries. Ahahahaha.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Maybe it's an age thing or something and I know that there would be some people who have issues with gender neutral toilets but personally I don't see the issue. Matter of fact I see them more and more in places these days. Really, what's the point of having two sets of toilets and sinks when you can have one large quantity of toilets and reduced number of sinks? The whole division on gender really is pointless.

As for guys hitting on the ladies here, I have no doubt it's happened. There are of course some singles but the ones who are taken I'm sure can handle themselves. I'm sure some of them have had to get the guys to back off.

We do have a generous amount of ladies here but they're in other positions than engineering.

I'm sure there are more women there but in in engineering. The S.T.E.M. careers situation is still a mess.

Fortunately for me, the only person at work that I'd be interested is taken (you know what i mean). It's hilarious to watch my colleagues foster each other periodically for hook ups and such. The scary part is some of them actually think i was interested in them; which is about as accurate as saying that currently Sahib can post here for a whole month without any grammatical errors.

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

In Canada, when I was working as staff, the rates were good for overtime but my hourly rate was crap. So the overtime helped.

As a contractor I got the same rate of pay regardless of how many hours I worked.

Where I work now I think it's the same rate as well.

Did ****ty hourly rate jobs...one of these days i should tell the story of working in a call center doing market research and having to call older men on a Sunday afternoon asking them survey questions for 1 hour about erectile dysfunction medication...

Been on salary's since and these entry level jobs are crappy as usual. I like a lot of this about my current job, except for management.

Posted via Moto Maxx

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looking through some smart watches. Just browsing here...not necessarily looking to buy anything soon, but browsing.

Posted via Moto Maxx

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Did ****ty hourly rate jobs...one of these days i should tell the story of working in a call center doing market research and having to call older men on a Sunday afternoon asking them survey questions for 1 hour about erectile dysfunction medication...

Been on salary's since and these entry level jobs are crappy as usual. I like a lot of this about my current job, except for management.

Posted via Moto Maxx

I do consider myself lucky that I never worked in restaurants or call centres. I have had crappy jobs however. Some I only lasted a couple of weeks at.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not really. I'm trying to justify why I need one to start with. At this moment in time I don't.

For me, it's a good convenience. Because of my line of work, having a watch is helpful instead of pulling the phone out to check the time. And since i went back to wearing watches, it was better to have a smart watch to keep me off the phone.

I'd say wait still and if you like what Android wear has to offer, get a second gen model on the cheap.

Posted via Moto Maxx

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo