WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

... and speaking of Taylor Swift, the only time I got interested was when she did a collaboration with Def Leppard.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Quick update on the Hunger Games
1. I have an interview at work tomorrow.
2. I might have a second interview for a different position reporting into the Corporate Global Team on Thursday, keyword here is might.
3. One Senior engineer on my team just gave his 9 day notice. Taking the team out to lunch on Friday.
4. A very good chance I will be in Wisconsin next week for at least three days.

More updates to follow...

Good luck with all that. At least you have the advantage of time on your side, and the fact that they're allowing you to apply for it currently.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Good luck with all that. At least you have the advantage of time on your side, and the fact that they're allowing you to apply for it currently.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
That is about the only silver lining in the cloud. I'm entertaining calls from recruiters as well.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Quick update on the Hunger Games
1. I have an interview at work tomorrow.
2. I might have a second interview for a different position reporting into the Corporate Global Team on Thursday, keyword here is might.
3. One Senior engineer on my team just gave his 9 day notice. Taking the team out to lunch on Friday.
4. A very good chance I will be in Wisconsin next week for at least three days.

More updates to follow...
Good luck!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's dark when I get up now. I thought the sun would be up until at least the end of August. Guess I was wrong.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I guess I can drop this in the dead of night so that it is still done "on time" as I promised this to be a mid week review.

I've been using the Xiaomi Mi 5 for the better part of 2 weeks and here's my review. It's been paired with a Moto 360 (2014), running on T-Mobile in the greater NYC area - which included my hometown and my home apartment is known as a dead zone.

Not doing a full review as some of the ones on YouTube (like C4ETech's) is very comprehensive.

The Mi 5 is incredibly light...Samsung Galaxy S2/ Focus S like. Yes, much lighter than a Nexus 5X. So lightweight you don't remember it is a premium device. I originally had this with a clear case which really highlighted how lightweight it was. I upgraded to those dual TPU with hard plastic trim cases and it's added a bit more heft to the phone so it sits much better in hand. I've got the basic white with the 32GB + 3GB RAM model, and since the case itself has black with a silver trim, it does give things a nice visual touch.

Design language is nice...glass feels good, phone is narrow and single handed use is good overall. This is a slippery phone so a case is mandatory. It's like someone said "let's take the Note 5 and shrink it down to the iPhone 5S dimensions". Still, very nice.

Pros:

1) Battery life is good. Pairing a 1080P LCD + S820 chip + 3000mah battery was a smart move. I get two days mixed usage, one day solid heavy usage.

2) 1080P panel is really good. A treat to use. Can get super bright and super dim. I don't miss the Maxx's screen (which as an AMOLED panel is vastly superior...maybe the best panel I've used overall - better than the G4's and a slight step down from the Note 5) as much when using this.

3) 2016 hardware is fast, no lag...especially when I shut off the system animations. Speed demon indeed.

4) Solid audio...headphone jack is good enough for me, and button speaker is decent. MIUI has some nice enhancements audio wise that are decent.

5) Quick charge 2.0 and 3.0 via USB-C. Very fast and convenient.

6) While I'm not a fan of the fingerprint reader on the front, this is a good one. You need to hold your finger a slight tock longer over the sensor, but once you learn that, very responsive.

7) Camera in good lighting is good.

Cons:

1) Lack of appropriate band support. I knew this going in, and wherever I've gotten H+ steadily, it's been good. But I really wish this thing had AWS to give me the full LTE. Data isn't a pain in the *** until you need to do something and drop down to Edge.

2) I've got the base 32GB + 3GB RAM model. For the price it was offered to me at, I've got no complaints...still, I wish it was the 64GB + 4GB RAM model.

3) No micro SD. I wish it was a hybrid slot, meaning I could give up one of the sim slots for a micro SD. It would have made the point above much more bearable.

4) No Qi charging. That would have been nice.

5) Camera could have been better in low light, since it has OIS. While more usable than the Maxx, low light isn't great here. G4 still bests this, and the 950XL too.

6) Since I'm using the Chinese ROM retrofitted with Play store apps, it lacks US language support. So some apps don't play nice with this (Chase Bank, for example).

7) Auto brightness is really aggressive. I love the fact that the panel can get really dim, but every once in a while it does so at the wrong time. Not sure whose battery saver here is more aggressive...the G5 or the Mi 5.

Meh:

1) MIUI is an acquired taste. I'm not a fan of how they handle the notification bar by splitting it in two panes, but I've seen worse. MIUI offers lots of granular controls, which is good. Still, there is a learning curve and it's not for everyone. For instance, the RAM management is aggressive. Maybe not Huawei level aggressive, a lot more aggressive than I'm used to. Being the Chinese ROM I had less Google bloat but more Xiaomi bloat.

Would I recommend this? Yes, provided you can get the full LTE on your carrier. And you get it at the right price. $300 (or under), hell yes as it crushes the 5X and Nextbit Robin easily. At $400...if size isn't an issue, then no. The Axon 7 and OP3 will slay this. I'd even pick the Idol 4S over this too at that price.

Still, Xiaomi did a very nice job here. I would have been super happy if this had the hybrid slot for more storage and T-Mobile band support. But as it, it will do...until I can score an unlocked G5 at a killer deal.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for sharing your thought, I would be interested in that one should Windows 10 become available. Wishful thinking...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

And hear I thought you were going to say you refused to talk to yourself period...

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

LOL! I always talk to myself, sometimes out loud. Apparently it's a trait of intelligent people... Makes me wonder what I'm doing in the job I am. :p

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

LOL! I always talk to myself, sometimes out loud. Apparently it's a trait of intelligent people... Makes me wonder what I'm doing in the job I am. :p

As long as you aren't answering yourself, then I'm not as concerned...

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Just got back home. Had my first driving lessons. We were at the polygon for like 10 minutes and then we went straight to town. I believe I nailed it, the only issue I had was stopping smoothly, other than that, everything went well.
Have two more classes tomorrow, at 12. Oh well, it can't be all perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb