WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So far this looks really good and some of the changes I like
On the flip side, it's not playing well with the Sony music app and Android wear. We'll see what happens over the few days.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

I went back to the Shuttle music app and things play nicer in the lockscreen in the phone and in wear. Shuttle reads the Sony playlists I've made so I'm good. I like MIUI enough where the lack of proper LTE support is really a ballsbuster. That private space and dual apps stuff they added system wide is really, really killer.

Looking forward to seeing MIUI 9...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

Last edited:

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I went back to the Shuttle music app and things okay over in the locks fresh in the phone and in wear. Shuttle reads the Song playlists I've made so I'm good. I like MIUI enough where the lack of proper LTE support is really a ballsbuster. That private space and dual apps stuff they added system wide is really, really killer.

Looking forward to seeing MIUI 9...

MIUI has come along a long way since the early days. Next up is probably the Redmi Note 4 for me or the Mi Note 2 Pro. Let's see what shows up. I ordered a case for the Honor 8 today.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

MIUI has come along a long way since the early days. Next up is probably the Redmi Note 4 for me or the Mi Note 2 Pro. Let's see what shows up. I ordered a case for the Honor 8 today.

Agreed. I remember trying it first on the G. Nexus as a port and it was a train wreck. They're doing a nice job but really should have added the US bands in here for the hell of it. It s a UI I don't mind using and the hardware plays well. I could use a better DAC and a few small tweaks, but this a a good base to build on in 2017.

I like the Honor 8 but may end up passing.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. I remember trying it first on the G. Nexus as a port and it was a train wreck. They're doing a nice job but really should have added the US bands in here for the hell of it. It s a UI I don't mind using and the hardware plays well. I could use a better DAC and a few small tweaks, but this a a good base to build on in 2017.

I like the Honor 8 but may end up passing.

I sold the S7 and the N5 needs charging by lunch time. It's time for a new device. I'm also lining up a 950 in parallel as well.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

That's a lot of phone talk right there... You guys are always amusing with the different phone models that you own, sell and try out.

I like technology but I think I'm no where as interested in it as you two.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

That's a lot of phone talk right there... You guys are always amusing with the different phone models that you own, sell and try out.

What can I say, I'm a gadget freak!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The one thing I dislike the most about the smartphone era is that a lot of companies think it's OK to make a phone for ?3-400 (or more) and give you one to no updates on OS software but I can guarantee that any person buying a ?200 laptop would flip out if they didn't receive their updates two years from now.

I just wonder why we allow companies to get away with this. I can only assume it's the shiny new gadget syndrome taking effect.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The one thing I dislike the most about the smartphone era is that a lot of companies think it's OK to make a phone for ?3-400 (or more) and give you one to no updates on OS software but I can guarantee that any person buying a ?200 laptop would flip out if they didn't receive their updates two years from now.

I just wonder why we allow companies to get away with this. I can only assume it's the shiny new gadget syndrome taking effect.
Yup it's a paradox. Smartphones cost more than laptops these days but don't receive regular updates. The monetization schemes are truly messed up.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Lately, I've rediscovered old technology.

I just got my first 180g vinyl LP.
1d6ecee27ba42ba3ed19052e5173262e.jpg

313f19d134362e1109ba1fccea9eacb2.jpg

The album style (gatefold) is identical to that of the original 1971 release. The record has the familiar Atlantic label, and there is no UPC code on the album cover. Were it not for the heavier weight vinyl and the Rhino Entertainment mention on the bottom of the back of the album cover, it would look and feel exactly like the original 1971 release.

It sounds awesome too, much better than the MP3 version I had previously.

I already got the reissue of Tarkus by ELP a few weeks ago on vinyl.

I am getting a new double LP The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table by Rick Wakeman from his website. I ordered it a week ago.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I am tired. That 165 miles of driving was absolutely atrocious! I spent 4 hours and 25 minutes in the car and 1 hour and 25 minutes at the supplier!!
Can't wait for the day to be over.

You should request a helicopter from you company. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

My last bit of annoyance with smartphones (well there's probably more than this...) is that the storage is still pitiful. There's still too much reliance on SD cards. Not that I have any issues with SD cards is just the storage cost has dropped significantly to the point that no phone should come with less than 32GB these days. We can argue all we want about 'apps' but lets face it, they're not getting any smaller, if anything some installs are rather huge.

When you can pick up a 120GB SS drive (which is more complex than what's on the phone) for under ?40 you know the cost has dropped enough for this to be a reality.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I sold the S7 and the N5 needs charging by lunch time. It's time for a new device. I'm also lining up a 950 in parallel as well.

Told you to change the battery on that N5...at this point if I keep two phones, it looks like that's how I'd get good audio, camera and battery life...as no one has it in the price range I'm looking at.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

99 likes it way more than me. Too ulcer inducing these days due to the glut overall in the secondary market.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My last bit of annoyance with smartphones (well there's probably more than this...) is that the storage is still pitiful. There's still too much reliance on SD cards. Not that I have any issues with SD cards is just the storage cost has dropped significantly to the point that no phone should come with less than 32GB these days. We can argue all we want about 'apps' but lets face it, they're not getting any smaller, if anything some installs are rather huge.

When you can pick up a 120GB SS drive (which is more complex than what's on the phone) for under ?40 you know the cost has dropped enough for this to be a reality.

They - OEMs - wouldn't do it. Not yet at least. Not enough money to be made. The industry standard is finally 32GB, and while I agree that's not enough...it won't change my guess is for another 2 years. Maybe if VR takes off, you'll see the shift.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

They - OEMs - wouldn't do it. Not yet at least. Not enough money to be made. The industry standard is finally 32GB, and while I agree that's not enough...it won't change my guess is for another 2 years. Maybe if VR takes off, you'll see the shift.

They will continually milk the low storage cost as long as they can. Worst offender being Apple of course. It just saddens me think it's taken this long to get to 32GB as standard and I have no doubt we'll still see phones with 16GB.... if not 8GB... with OS getting larger I can't seen the justification.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion