WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Thanks. Actually I have to work part time to finish my final year in graduate school.

It's just time to do something else.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

I'm sure there are greener pastures waiting for you after you finish your degree. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

7) This is the end of 3.5mm jacks for sure. Unless it's a budget handset, we won't see much 3.5mm by 2018.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

Not sure how I feel about that. I know everyone will copy Apple with USB headphones now. I think it's plain silly myself but I guess people 'believe' it's better that's all that matters.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not sure how I feel about that. I know everyone will copy Apple with USB headphones now. I think it's plain silly myself but I guess people 'believe' it's better that's all that matters.

As was said earlier, without better built-in DACs, connectors don't matter.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I watched one of Lew's videos where he test 3.5mm vs USB on the same headphones, you can find the video easily if anyone wants to. That was the main reason I believed USB will be better, that and few other articles that I really can't remember.

I still hope the sound will be better, I just want a better sound quality for the same cost. That was it, I'm not really familiar with the technicals, so I can't argue, lol.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I watched one of Lew's videos where he test 3.5mm vs USB on the same headphones, you can find the video easily if anyone wants to. That was the main reason I believed USB will be better, that and few other articles that I really can't remember.

I still hope the sound will be better, I just want a better sound quality for the same cost. That was it, I'm not really familiar with the technicals, so I can't argue, lol.

The sound quality will depend on the DAC of the USB headphones.

The only advantage here is the that the phone manufacturer doesn't need to put a DAC in the phone and relies on the headphone manufacturer to do it instead.

Which one is better depends on what you're willing to pay for.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As was said earlier, without better built-in DACs, connectors don't matter.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

Charging and listening to music becomes an issue without wireless charging... Unless they start creating headphones with multiple connections. Which I see happening or possible use of USB hubs.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to agree with Sahib on this one.

All signals to your ears have to change to analogue at some point. So it will always come down to the DAC quality and the earphones quality.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Agreed to a point. I believe something else is relevant, and if not the most important role in audio quality; the artist and producer! It all starts with great sounding musicians and artists.. then it needs to be recorded properly! Get someone in the studio who doesn't know what they're doing and mix down the recordings correctly, and you've got terrible sound no matter what it gets played through!

I've always said audio quality is 97% artist/producer, 3% audio playback equipment.

I agree as well. I use a FiiO Q1 DAC and Sony MDR-7506 headphones on my devices. I also listen to FLAC or WAV files.

Both Laura and I agree with you.

I can take it further by saying that most people have preconceived ideas of what sounds good to them. The 'audiophiles' have been shown time again that some of their 'beliefs' are ludicrous. The human sound range is in the middle of the spectrum. Good, but not great.

Quality earphones/earbuds and a good DAC and you're good to go, connection is irrelevant. Most PC and mobile phone built in DACs are middle of the road which is why the sound is 'OK'.
Agree with all of that... But see above! True story: the human ear at it's best (a young person's healthy ears) can only hear frequencies between 20Hz and 20KHz. A lot less as we get older, some of us have our hearing destroyed by attending loud rock concerts, firing guns, and other loud noises that gradually deteriorate our hearing during the course of our lives.
I'll also add that I listen to vinyl on my turntable and stereo system at home (which I purchased back in 1985). So I probably have more experience with analog sound than many folks on this forum have been alive.
I'm in this club with Laura. I'm 47, and have played with and experimented with all kinds of analog audio ever since I figured out how to take things apart. I think I was 8 or 9 years old when I disassembled my first radio and wired extra speakers into it. I was fascinated by how speakers worked! I remember my mom even buying me one of those "build your own radio" project kits from Radio Shack when I was like 12. It wasn't long after that when I discovered the electric guitar and amplifiers! Piles and piles of audio cables, RCA connectors, adapters, jacks, mixers, etc etc soon began to clutter my bedroom. You'd have to climb over this stuff just to walk in my room lol... This was waaaaay before the digital age.

And I still have my circa '80's turntable and my entire collection of about 2000 vinyl LPs as well.

Why am I posting all of this? IDFK.. Just saying, no matter what tech the big companies like Apple, Google, or MSFT decide they want us to use for our audio listening, I'll have no problem with figuring out what to use that works best for me, and the artists and producers that I choose to listen to will sound fantastic!

I did skim through some of the iPhone 7 announcement specs, and it all looks fine and dandy, but I'm still satisfied with what I've got for now. Maybe by the time the "7S Plus" rolls out I'll be ready, or who knows, maybe Google will have something that entices me. I seriously doubt MSFT will.

My quick thoughts on the new iPhone 7 stuff:

That new dual camera thingie on the plus model looks pretty cool! Cameras just keep getting better and better!

The Home button - I'm glad they finally did something with the mechanical switch! This is something that'll definitely be better to wait for the S model, so it can mature a little.

The 3.5 delete - ok, so what... they include the new lightning headset in the box, or there's plenty of 3rd party BT headsets (and I'm sure soon to be lightning) out there if you don't want to buy the "Air Pods"... If not, and you must use the 3.5mm headset you already have, just use the adapter...

The new Jet Black finish - this is something where if I happen to see it in person, it might negate everything I said above about being content and waiting for the S model. I've been known to make an impulse purchase before! lol

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I figured out a quick, non-destructive way to hang my new NMS silk banner for now. Until I can figure something else out...

Binder clips and thumb tacks!

(Yes, this macro shot was taken by me with my iPhone 6S Plus and Camera+)

image.jpeg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I took this last night but forgot to post it. It's down near the sea. I did nothing to it.

Not bad for from a car shot.

DSC_0151-01.jpeg

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

With Star Trek's 50th and all, if anyone in this thread wants a code for a Klingon calculator app (W10 UWP), shoot me an IM and I'll send over a code to get it ad free. I should probably put a limit to the number of codes going out, even though the responses will probably be within reasonable amounts, so I'll just say the regular posters here +25ish codes are available. And if I'm not online when you IM me, I'll try to get it to you ASAP.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Agreed to a point. I believe something else is relevant, and if not the most important role in audio quality; the artist and producer! It all starts with great sounding musicians and artists.. then it needs to be recorded properly! Get someone in the studio who doesn't know what they're doing and mix down the recordings correctly, and you've got terrible sound no matter what it gets played through!

I've always said audio quality is 97% artist/producer, 3% audio playback equipment.

Agree with all of that... But see above! True story: the human ear at it's best (a young person's healthy ears) can only hear frequencies between 20Hz and 20KHz. A lot less as we get older, some of us have our hearing destroyed by attending loud rock concerts, firing guns, and other loud noises that gradually deteriorate our hearing during the course of our lives.

I'm in this club with Laura. I'm 47, and have played with and experimented with all kinds of analog audio ever since I figured out how to take things apart. I think I was 8 or 9 years old when I disassembled my first radio and wired extra speakers into it. I was fascinated by how speakers worked! I remember my mom even buying me one of those "build your own radio" project kits from Radio Shack when I was like 12. It wasn't long after that when I discovered the electric guitar and amplifiers! Piles and piles of audio cables, RCA connectors, adapters, jacks, mixers, etc etc soon began to clutter my bedroom. You'd have to climb over this stuff just to walk in my room lol... This was waaaaay before the digital age.

And I still have my circa '80's turntable and my entire collection of about 2000 vinyl LPs as well.

Why am I posting all of this? IDFK.. Just saying, no matter what tech the big companies like Apple, Google, or MSFT decide they want us to use for our audio listening, I'll have no problem with figuring out what to use that works best for me, and the artists and producers that I choose to listen to will sound fantastic!

I did skim through some of the iPhone 7 announcement specs, and it all looks fine and dandy, but I'm still satisfied with what I've got for now. Maybe by the time the "7S Plus" rolls out I'll be ready, or who knows, maybe Google will have something that entices me. I seriously doubt MSFT will.

My quick thoughts on the new iPhone 7 stuff:

That new dual camera thingie on the plus model looks pretty cool! Cameras just keep getting better and better!

The Home button - I'm glad they finally did something with the mechanical switch! This is something that'll definitely be better to wait for the S model, so it can mature a little.

The 3.5 delete - ok, so what... they include the new lightning headset in the box, or there's plenty of 3rd party BT headsets (and I'm sure soon to be lightning) out there if you don't want to buy the "Air Pods"... If not, and you must use the 3.5mm headset you already have, just use the adapter...

The new Jet Black finish - this is something where if I happen to see it in person, it might negate everything I said above about being content and waiting for the S model. I've been known to make an impulse purchase before! lol

Ed, you already know that some producers in some music genres do some half-assed **** and call it music production...

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte