WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

I've found mine...

Nice!

Truth be told, Ed...

If I had $400 to spend with how I can dig a little, I'd buy a G5 (if I didn't have the Mi 5). Honorary mentions to the Honor 8 and HTC 10. It's not perfect, but like the Honor 8 and Mi 5, it has compromises I can live with.

Otherwise, nothing interests me right now.

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It's Friday! (Well for me anyway. :) )

Off to London tomorrow. Hopefully a better experience this time compared to last.

Rest of the weekend will be doing things at home I think.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I put Kodi and the Exodus add-on on my N7. Appears to be working but really haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to cast to my TV from my tablet. It's simpler than using the laptop and I'm not using my tablet that much anymore.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I've heard of Chinese "knockoff" vinyl reproduction (or labeled "remastered") being sold. It depends... Where'd you buy this vinyl? I'd try to send it back and find another source.

I'll hang on to my 1520. Though after updating it and trying to use it for some basic tasks the other day, after it sat in a drawer for a couple months, it was really disappointing. What a mess...

I bet I can spend less than $100 and have a pair of cans that sound just as good!

I would! If possible... Maybe see if there's a Wiki on that particular album and see if there's any mention of problems they had in the studio or with the recording?
The vinyl came from Amazon (not a reseller). I'm going to get an original used copy of the 1972 album and compare the sound. If the one from Amazon is quieter, I'll contact Amazon and send it back.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I put Kodi and the Exodus add-on on my N7. Appears to be working but really haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to cast to my TV from my tablet. It's simpler than using the laptop and I'm not using my tablet that much anymore.
Kodi works well for me on my N7.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Local cast works great with Kodi if you have a Chromecast stick.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

The vinyl came from Amazon (not a reseller). I'm going to get an original used copy of the 1972 album and compare the sound. If the one from Amazon is quieter, I'll contact Amazon and send it back.

It happens, I have two (sometimes 3 or more) of the same vinyl with different mastering and they sound different, some "thin" sounding, some artificially "colored", some just right.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

It happens, I have two (sometimes 3 or more) of the same vinyl with different mastering and they sound different, some "thin" sounding, some artificially "colored", some just right.
I have lots of vinyl, but no duplicates of the same album, but this Trilogy remaster is the only LP that has such a low volume compared to anything else I own. That's why I think it is defective. I shouldn't need to turn up the volume twice as loud for Trilogy than any of my other LPs.

That's just the sound in general, not low bass, etc. Granted, I don't need to turn the volume to the maximum, but still it's odd that Trilogy after any other album needs twice as much volume. 😵

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

On another note, people who aren't familiar with progressive rock have asked me if I was listening to circus music whenever I've played anything by ELP where Emerson played a piano. So far, nobody has asked me about the circus music when I've played other ELP songs that aren't piano songs or when I've played other progressive rock albums not by ELP. However, I'll say that circus music is my favorite if I hear any more references to it when I play other artists. 😛

I can picture it now. It's all circus music. But what type of circus music? Does ELP, Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Tool, Big Big Train, etc. fit into clown music, acrobat music or wild animal trainer music?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Geez, you just reminded me I haven't opened my Dream Theater vinyl yet. I bought them years ago from Music Direct in Chicago.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

He'd better listen...hard to get by and feed a kid, the kid's mom and yourself at his current salary.

So if he wants to enjoy the sex without the consequences, he'd better buy them in bulk as condoms have a 5-year shelf life.

Posted via Xiaomi Mi 5
I went to college during the late 80s-early 90s, and I was a legal adult (for bars) in the early 90s. That was during the height of the HIV crisis, so it wasn't necessary for anyone to purchase condoms back then. Condoms were handed out free of charge at most places.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I went to college during the late 80s-early 90s, and I was a legal adult (for bars) in the early 90s. That was during the height of the HIV crisis, so it wasn't necessary for anyone to purchase condoms back then. Condoms were handed out free of charge at most places.

Well, just like anything else, there more there becomes a needs, the more it becomes an opportunity to make some money from the situation.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Now, if I put on my old hat for a second...there are some truths that often get swept under the rug because here in 'Murica there's a bunch of taboos for sex:

1) Sex is better without condoms. We were designed to do it like that. Because of that, some people are willing to risk their health to chase that sort of natural feeling.

2) People don't like talking about the health related things in their medical history surrounding sex. It is often pulling teeth for people to talk about HIV status, last STI screenings, condom usage and hormonal contraception and "what happens if a pregnancy happens". There are a myriad of reasons behind this.

3) In heterosexual relationships, men still wield a fair amount of power and influence over condom negotiation, hormonal contraception, pregnancy and STI screenings. Sometimes, some women are not comfortable in asking about these things with a partner in fear of "rocking the boat".

4) It's important to apply the STI information the right way. Sometimes people will produce last testing results as a way of convincing a potential sex partner "they're up to date", and will leave out some rainy behaviors that they did recently. So building trust and getting honesty from the person is essential.

5) Sahib is still on the age range with the highest number of newly HIV+ patients. The older folks like 99/Rue/you are in the fastest newly diagnosed for HIV group because of the threat of pregnancy is reduced, making people more likely not to use condoms.

6) Sahib is still in the age range for most newly diagnosed +STI results. Ages 15-34 account for most of those numbers.

So as it isn't as easy to do, talking with someone you're sleeping with (or have designs on sleeping with) about having the sex in the safest way possible is essential. It is very difficult to look at a 17 y.o. and tell her that she has herpes, or a 19 y.o. he is HIV+, or see a 18 y.o. college sophomore who lives out of state and is pregnant and devastated because her religious beliefs frown upon termination of a pregnancy but her current life structure says that doing that is the best choice for her at that moment.

Sex is all good and fun, but if the adult stuff isn't put in place to handle the consequences, it can be a destructive enterprise.

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Geez, you just reminded me I haven't opened my Dream Theater vinyl yet. I bought them years ago from Music Direct in Chicago.
Which reminds me; DT is coming in concert here at the historic Florida Theatre (Jacksonville, FL) soon. They're going to do their new, entire The Astonishing album. Might have to go see 'em!

Anything at the Florida Theatre sounds amazing! The venue was designed with acoustic sound quality front and foremost. I've seen many concerts there, most recently Joe Satriani which was mind blowingly awesome!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

So, I've only been playing with iOS 10 for an hour or so, so far. First impressions are good! There's a ton of new goodies, which may be enough to keep my 6S Plus fresh enough to hold me over till the "S" models come out later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss