WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Well we made it through the hurricane for the most part. Just the last of the outer bands (tropical storm warning still in effect here).

Had about 7 or 8 wooden fence panels get blown down and a few medium size branches end up in the yard. I don't think we have any damage to the house... won't know for sure until tomorrow when I can get outside and look.

Glad you are safe:) on another note I've never been in a hurricane.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Glad you are safe:) on another note I've never been in a hurricane.

You're not missing anything either. I was talking to my cousin in Central Florida who had so minor damage, and reminding her about the last major hurricane I was in as a child where I literally watched the roof of the home get ripped off while I was inside.

Natural disasters are tough, no matter the type...

Approved by Z3 Tablet Compact!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Really like the feel in hand without a case for the Robin. As boxy as it is, it feels more comfortable in hand than it looks.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Folks, I found a Trump meme on G+ so vociferous I was tempted to post it here, but Laura would grab me by the balls and make it take it down...

...for real though, the Trump candidacy is a lesson on two levels:

1) Whenever you are thrust on a national stage, all skeletons typically come out to light (see that sexist comment he made in 2005 which spawned that meme I referenced to above).

2) The sentiment he has been able to tap into to secure the Republican nomination from a certain segment of voters should remind Americans that there are some skeletons in her closet that needs to be addressed. While Trump wasn't as suave enough to disguise those things, it scares me that a candidate will come along who is rooted in the sentiment of certain voters Trump has in his corner currently who has the sophiscation to package such a dangerous approach in a palatable way...

...many of History's great scoundrels have done this...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if I did the review for the Robin, so here goes.

I've always eyed Robin for a while, as the regulars here now. Based on some things that's happened recently, I decided to make some changes and downsize. Now, if I was still into big phones, I could have really downsized for a ZTE Max Pro (http://www.digitaltrends.com/cell-phone-reviews/zte-zmax-pro-review/#/4). I settled on Robin becuase it still was offering me what I was looking for at a decent price.

The design is nice and funky looking. I'm used to the boxier look (from the HTC Diamond through to the Xperia Z3). Mine is the white and mint color combination...the darker blue and mint and the red (or yellow) + black models look nice too. It's a very symmetrical design. The screen is crisp (although I still think the Mi 5 was my favorite 1080P ever). The weight and in hand feel are nice. The stereo speakers are a welcome addition and the audio by headphone jack is solid. Robin's UI is OK. In comparison, I actually preferred MIUI by far, because the tweaks in that OS were more useful to me. Still, I put Nova launcher on this thing and it hums along nicely. The fingerprint scanner is nice and fast (not as fast as the Mi 5 though). The camera is OK. I think it's a bit better than the Maxx, so I can live with it. It holds onto signals OK.

My biggest con is the battery life. It was as bad as Trump's latest female comment. But in Robin's defense, there was an update I got this week that has made battery life a whole lot better. Now I can get through a day more comfortably again instead of feeling like I had to nurse the phone through the day - even on standby.

All in all, this was a nice pickup as a downgrade. While I could argue up until this week that the Nexus line would get better support, Robin was released this year which means I'm more likely to get Android N and O come next year. I would recommend this to someone who wants to run a cleaner daily driver and not be inundated with every single app around. Or a developer with competent hardware requirements. I plan to keep this even if I luck into a HTC 10, G5 or V20.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The one good thing about Trump's latest gaffe is whenever you're ready to start iPadding you can say "I came to Trump you to get this party started..."

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I honestly thought no one could top that "binders full on women" comment Mitt Romney had 4 years ago. Obviously, that got Trumped...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Hey Laura, what was the name of that email app you're using on Android? I tried Nine and liked it but it seems like it's a $20 app that I'm using on a trial period that's about to expire...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. I don't need much as an email client, so it's so frustrating how useless for me me Outlook for Android has gotten.

It's really great, since it has all sorts of customisation. It's also very secure.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

It's really great, since it has all sorts of customisation. It's also very secure.
How well does it sync with calendar and contacts? That's my biggest issue in my situation as I use my old WP ID to sync my contacts which is separate from my personal email that has my primary calendar...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

How well does it sync with calendar and contacts? That's my biggest issue in my situation as I use my old WP ID to sync my contacts which is separate from my personal email that has my primary calendar...
I use my Gmail account and the Google Calendar for that. I switched from outlook.com as my primary email account to Gmail upon getting my Androids, so I don't use outlook.com calendar any longer. I still have an outlook.com email account, but not for its calendar.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I use my Gmail account and the Google Calendar for that. I switched from outlook.com as my primary email account to Gmail upon getting my Androids, so I don't use outlook.com calendar any longer. I still have an outlook.com email account, but not for its calendar.
OK, thanks for the tip. I'm going to have to sleep on this one some more...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Seems one thing for sure... The Note 7's resale value has gone up in smoke. Pretty sad for arguably the device of the year.

Now, what will the other OEMs do? LG should have had the V20 out at launch, and htc might steal a few people with a slightly cheaper price as an exchange. Maybe even Google might pick up a few extra people to buy the Pixel XL. The Note series is very unique in their offerings, but I wouldn't be surprised if these Note issues will cause changes for next year.

Maybe the Note series is dead, and Samsung pushes over most of those features to the Edge series. It'll be interesting to see how Samsung recovers...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

This election debate is interesting. Still somewhat a train wreck, but...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss