WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

How's that been for you? Are you still liking it as much as you did before, or is it just doing the job? I liked it on 8.1 but it felt slow on W10M.

Definitely don't like it as much as I did, as a matter fact I can't wait to replace it, but that won't be soon so, I'll still have to stick with it for a while.

It was much better on 8.1, hadn't encounter a single lag back then, and I have a feeling that Lumia Camera was somewhat better than the current one, it was faster for sure.

The thing about WM10 is that some builds are smooth as a butter and work just perfectly, and other times they're pure hell, like the current one. I know I shouldn't be complaining since it's a preview, but I can't help not to.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Since you mentioned HTC, I'm curious on your thoughts about the new HTC "flagship" offering in the U Ultra, and the Play too, I guess. Aside from the colors, it's not really interesting.

The MediaTek chip on the U Play is snoresville. Nothing against MediaTek, but their GPU performance has ways been an Achilles heel - even though they've been making strides.

People are up in arms with HTC using last year's chip in the 821. HTC lost their Schedule A designation years ago, which means as a non premier OEM, Qualcomm doesn't give them priority when it comes to accessing chips. My guess is LG is in that boat unofficially too. I do think HTC is going in the right direction...But the problem is pricing. People want them to hit a home run...They did with the HTC 10 last year but due to pricing turned it into a solid double instead. I like what they're doing, but they need to do some stuff that inspires confidence and reason to buy their stuffs again.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I know, I really dug up this quote but I had to.

This month, I am doing a challenge of using just one phone for the whole month, which is an easy thing for many but not for me. I'm someone who feels a need to change phones after 2 weeks at least because something bothers me about the one I was using. In this case, it's just switching in-between what I own. Sometimes I'll use one for a week and then something comes up so I'm changing it. I have felt the urge to, but I haven't actually caved.

Anyway, how this connects to you is that I was thinking about what you said and how right you are. I'm hoping that my dBrand skin would help me feel less annoyed with how, uh, not unique looking, my iPhone is.

I've just adapted. I'd like to have another device to use, but realistically speaking, it's not practical for me. My preference would be a 950 or a 950XL, because once spring approaches I'd be more inclined to have a phone to got shoot prictures with. I saw a Zuk Z2 for cheap while browsing, but that money is better served landing a 950 or 950 XL. I have my Robin but haven't put my SIM in it since the Honor 8 arrived, as I have no reason to. I boot it up periodically, but is doesn't get usage as it's a true backup.

It's nice to have a good camera on hand. In all the phones I've used in the past two years, I only miss my Z3 and the Mi 5. Z3 was great outside of the camera, and the Mi 5 was shockingly good, outside of the lack of LTE.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Wish i was able to take this originally in black and white...Honor 8 takes some solid pictures. And yes, it was actively raining when i took the shot.

Attachments

• 27637.jpg
    27637.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to need more storage containers for my vinyl LPs. I've always had vinyl LPs since I was a kid. However, my vinyl collection has been growing since I got a new turntable last month, and it's outgrowing the milk crates I've kept my records in for all these years.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
While we're talking about phones, I think LG needs to do some serious work on their designs. I mean, to me, G5 was the ugliest phone compared to it's competition, even Lumia 650 was more appealing to me. V10 look was not bad, maybe they should make something similar.

I liked the G5's design. It just felt like a prototype because they rushed the design to market and were being LG - too creative for their own good. You saw the V20 was a great refinement of the G5's design.

My issue with LG is that since the G3, there has been some quality control issues - boot loop and all that jazz. If they can continue to refine the design language from the V20 and step their quality control game up, it would be interesting. Personally i don't like the move to a bigger screen on the G6, but maybe they make the V series have removable batteries as the G series fixed ones. Who knows.

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I'm going to need more storage containers for my vinyl LPs. I've always had vinyl LPs since I was a kid. However, my vinyl collection has been growing since I got a new turntable last month, and it's outgrowing the milk crates I've kept my records in for all these years.

You know Laura is old school when talking about keeping vinyls in old milk crates...Gotta love it...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So I like the Honor 8. I don't love it, but I like it. It's not as charming as the Mi 5 which grew on me, nor it is as pristine as the Z3. Still, it's a very nice device. There's a lot I appreciate, but isn't unfamiliar to me from what i saw on the Mi 5. I hope that EMUI 5.0 plays much better with Android wear though...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

So...If I were a phablet guy, I'd be using a combo of the 950XL and the V20. It's strange that as much as I like the V20, if you buy a 950XL outside of the OS differences the cameras and video recording capabilities are pretty close. I did like the 950XL, except the software at the time made the battery life garbage for me.

If money wasn't an issue, if I was only to use one system setup...I'd buy a G5 + the HIFI DAC. If I were getting a 950 as a compliment, I'd get a HTC 10. I really liked the smaller Pixel, but price and camera lens flare cross it off my list. It's good to see that there are many choices out there, but i think for me it is hard to find all I want in one device. Maybe if i liked Samsung I could be happy with a S7...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So...If I were a phablet guy, I'd be using a combo of the 950XL and the V20. It's strange that as much as I like the V20, if you buy a 950XL outside of the OS differences the cameras and video recording capabilities are pretty close. I did like the 950XL, except the software at the time made the battery life garbage for me.

If money wasn't an issue, if I was only to use one system setup...I'd buy a G5 + the HIFI DAC. If I were getting a 950 as a compliment, I'd get a HTC 10. I really liked the smaller Pixel, but price and camera lens flare cross it off my list. It's good to see that there are many choices out there, but i think for me it is hard to find all I want in one device. Maybe if i liked Samsung I could be happy with a S7...

I can relate with the struggle of wanting to find a phone that checks off all the wants. It's hard.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I can relate with the struggle of wanting to find a phone that checks off all the wants. It's hard.

It's why I've stopped and settled with the Honor 8. It's good enough in all the areas that are important to me, and I can deal with that...As opposed to having something that's a home run in one area and has deal breakers in others. I've used too many phones like that in the past.

Besides, I got my tablet to offload much of my phone's heavier media consumption anyways. That's working just fine.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It's why I've stopped and settled with the Honor 8. It's good enough in all the areas that are important to me, and I can deal with that...As opposed to having something that's a home run in one area and has deal breakers in others. I've used too many phones like that in the past.

Besides, I got my tablet to offload much of my phone's heavier media consumption anyways. That's working just fine.
Good place to be at. I decided a long time ago that a tablet was a better way to go for media consumption and use the phone for basic communication. I guess that's why I'm happy with a Lumia as the app gap doesn't really bother me 😀

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

I liked the G5's design. It just felt like a prototype because they rushed the design to market and were being LG - too creative for their own good. You saw the V20 was a great refinement of the G5's design.

My issue with LG is that since the G3, there has been some quality control issues - boot loop and all that jazz. If they can continue to refine the design language from the V20 and step their quality control game up, it would be interesting. Personally i don't like the move to a bigger screen on the G6, but maybe they make the V series have removable batteries as the G series fixed ones. Who knows.

They should also change position of the additional screen on the V20. I believe it would be much more useful if it was on the bottom instead of on the top of the device.
I'm not liking the whole modular thing, mostly because they don't really offer anything better or new. I'm not just talking about the G5 here, I'm reffering to Moto Z as well.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

Why not get a V20 and then there's no need for any kind of DAC?
And don't expect any better battery life on current builds. Or better stability. Or anything better. It's just a bigger mess than it was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99