WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Aw. Sometimes it's unpredictable. One could look at my age and think that I got my bachelor's degree a good while back but I was actually late to that party. I'm only 2 years removed.

You really never know, but I can only imagine of course.
I went to school for 15 years, then straight to undergraduate degree for 4 years. Worked for a year and then 2.5 years for my graduate degree and then I have been slaving away. I'd love to have a break but that will probably happen when I retire.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Actually I have made a lot of progress on something that I want to pursue as a future career. I hope that 2017 is the year that things come to fruition, fingers crossed. April and May are crucial months.
Ooh very cool! I wish for it to happen for you in the way you would want it to.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

Actually I have made a lot of progress on something that I want to pursue as a future career. I hope that 2017 is the year that things come to fruition, fingers crossed. April and May are crucial months.

Sounds very exciting. I'm happy for you. Hoping everything works out.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I went to school for 15 years, then straight to undergraduate degree for 4 years. Worked for a year and then 2.5 years for my graduate degree and then I have been slaving away. I'd love to have a break but that will probably happen when I retire.
Wow, you're just a go-getter! Seriously.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Wow, you're just a go-getter! Seriously.
Back home the pressure to get ahead in the rat race is just unbelievable. I'm glad my kid doesn't have to deal with that over here. Very grateful for that. All our friends look at us a bit funnily since the kid doesn't want any extracurricular classes to start getting ahead at school and I'm perfectly okay with that.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Back home the pressure to get ahead in the rat race is just unbelievable. I'm glad my kid doesn't have to deal with that over here. Very grateful for that. All our friends look at us a bit funnily since the kid doesn't want any extracurricular classes to start getting ahead at school and I'm perfectly okay with that.
Some folks will never understand how hard the pressure is in some cultures. Lost a classmate to suicide because of this...Kid was pretty smart but he wasn't bringing home the grades that were expected and just saw no other way out.

Growing up my aunt played the comparison game and I had to learn to tune it out. Perhaps I could have been like my old coworker who is an pediatrician and pharmacist (we're the same age, roughly) and overachieved, but I'd like to think I'm walking the road I'm supposed to...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The funny thing is that I am not actively looking.

It was the same for me at the time as well. It was just the industry that was so busy that they were constantly searching for people.

By far the creepier ways of contact was when they called me on my office phone. That happened a few times, including here in the UK. Always felt odd.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Some folks will never understand how hard the pressure is in some cultures. Lost a classmate to suicide because of this...Kid was pretty smart but he wasn't bringing home the grades that were expected and just saw no other way out.

Growing up my aunt played the comparison game and I had to learn to tune it out. Perhaps I could have been like my old coworker who is an pediatrician and pharmacist (we're the same age, roughly) and overachieved, but I'd like to think I'm walking the road I'm supposed to...

My upbringing was the complete opposite. I think my mother just wanted us to be good. There never was any pressure to achieve anything. Sometimes I wish there had been as I was a bit lazy at school and way too independent. Having some structure is important for young children, to some extent.

I guess that's life growing up as the youngest child of a single parent who works.

I'm not regretful or anything, I've done more in life than I could have ever imagined, just wish I'd had more encouragement. I won't go into my family dynamic of what my older brother was like...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

It was the same for me at the time as well. It was just the industry that was so busy that they were constantly searching for people.

By far the creepier ways of contact was when they called me on my office phone. That happened a few times, including here in the UK. Always felt odd.
Oh they do that here as well and even email you via guesswork at the work email address.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Aw. Sometimes it's unpredictable. One could look at my age and think that I got my bachelor's degree a good while back but I was actually late to that party. I'm only 2 years removed.

You really never know, but I can only imagine of course.

Leaving school for me was over 20 years ago... creeping up on 30....

My wife finished her bachelor degree in her early 30's and masters in her late 30's. She's still contemplating a PhD.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

My upbringing was the complete opposite. I think my mother just wanted us to be good. There never was any pressure to achieve anything. Sometimes I wish there had been as I was a bit lazy at school and way too independent. Having some structure is important for young children, to some extent.

I guess that's life growing up as the youngest child of a single parent who works.

I'm not regretful or anything, I've done more in life than I could have ever imagined, just wish I'd had more encouragement. I won't go into my family dynamic of what my older brother was like...
Families have an interesting way of shaping us as people, for sure.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Leaving school for me was over 20 years ago... creeping up on 30....

My wife finished her bachelor degree in her early 30's and masters in her late 30's. She's still contemplating a PhD.

Ooh okay, I better understand your original statement now.

I have to give much props to her for going through that. That's inspiring. I can't imagine wanting to do a PhD though, but I wish her luck with the decision.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

The baggage one carries with them through life. Sometimes you can let go. Other times it just lingers like a bad smell.
You'd be surprised sometimes as to how unaware people are off that and how that lack of awareness reinforces generational patterns...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss