WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Thank you for the great suggestions and for your kindness in sharing with us. Will check them out.
No problem. Hope you like them if you're into this subject matter. Most likely, we all have issues and things to deal with every day. These books, especially the first one, can be very useful in navigating life's ups and downs. The Road Less Traveled is probably the best, most eye opening book I've ever read. It's brutal, because it requires you to do a lot of self reflection. The Ego is going to put up a huge fight at first. When I first read the book, I think it took me around six months to finish because it challenged everything about me from my childhood to who was at that point in time. It was great getting beat down by a book. Ha ha But, I needed it to happen.
The second book is more of a tool to recognize toxic people so that you can avoid having them in your life. It's a brutal book to get through, as well, but worth it.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

No problem. Hope you like them if you're into this subject matter. Most likely, we all have issues and things to deal with every day. These books, especially the first one, can be very useful in navigating life's ups and downs. The Road Less Traveled is probably the best, most eye opening book I've ever read. It's brutal, because it requires you to do a lot of self reflection. The Ego is going to put up a huge fight at first. When I first read the book, I think it took me around six months to finish because it challenged everything about me from my childhood to who was at that point in time. It was great getting beat down by a book. Ha ha But, I needed it to happen.
The second book is more of a tool to recognize toxic people so that you can avoid having them in your life. It's a brutal book to get through, as well, but worth it.
Thanks for sharing this.

The thing is optimal mental health is for everyone, but mental health treatment isn't always for everyone. Some mental health professionals who would hear me say that would say I need treatment myself, but that's a truth people sometimes wash over.

We all go through moments where our mental health isn't the best. Some have those moments persist constantly over the course of a lifetime. It's about maintenance of optimal health and doing what's need for that...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Having fondled a G6, S8 and S8+, I'll say this...LG did a really nice job and I would buy the G6. The S8 and S8+ in terms of engineering, are awesome. Much respect to Sammy for fitting a bigger display in something that shares similar dimensions to the Mi Note 2 (in reference to the S8+). Both S8s feel comfortable to hold in the hand.

The G6 does feel like a pretty chunky monkey. It doesn't feel as form fitting to the hand as the S8. It does feel well built though...And I really like that about it. It's like a very nice looking utilitarian device. I saw the silver model and I'm sure this phone looks way better in black.

Still, if I was upgrading from my honor 8 to the G6, it's an easy move. I get more real estate in a more compact form factor, a still interesting camera (I love the wide angle lens) and the upgrades I like such as wireless charging and water resistance.

Jumping from a mi note 2 to the G6 is less clear. Still, my like for the G6 was confirmed.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for sharing this.

The thing is optimal mental health is for everyone, but mental health treatment isn't always for everyone. Some mental health professionals who would hear me say that would say I need treatment myself, but that's a truth people sometimes wash over.

We all go through moments where our mental health isn't the best. Some have those moments persist constantly over the course of a lifetime. It's about maintenance of optimal health and doing what's need for that...

Great point. I like how you put that. The book rang true for me because the advice in it really worked for me. It still does. It is part of my mental health maintenance. When I first read it, I saw it as my form of therapy. Others might just look at it as a good read. Still, others might get nothing out of it. However it is seen, there is a ton of good advice in it regarding how we treat ourselves and those around us. If it's not used as a therapy tool, it could serve as a good reference book for living a mature, full, loving life. But, everything above is my opinion. 😀 I'm no expert on this.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

This is spot-on!

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

And a big problem is that society has placed a negative connotation on the term "mental health". It's almost as if you have to hide the fact that you might suffer from a mental health issue. It's no different than having a heart issue or a diabetes issue or any other health issue in my opinion. The Road Less Traveled book really gets into that and does a good job of bringing mental health out into the open as something that everyone experiences. I'll quit advertising it now. 😁

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Great point. I like how you put that. The book rang true for me because the advice in it really worked for me. It still does. It is part of my mental health maintenance. When I first read it, I saw it as my form of therapy. Others might just look at it as a good read. Still, others might get nothing out of it. However it is seen, there is a ton of good advice in it regarding how we treat ourselves and those around us. If it's not used as a therapy tool, it could serve as a good reference book for living a mature, full, loving life. But, everything above is my opinion. 😀 I'm no expert on this.
You're an expert in your mental health, because no one knows your mental health needs better than you.

For someone who works with people who are not at optimal mental health and trying to improve theirs, this is a point that gets lost a lot more than it should.

I take a Rogerian (Carl Rogers) approach...Where I believe the person sitting across from me is the true expert on themselves and my job is to help them remember this. Some people's suffering is so great that there are times where things such as medication and involuntary admission to a hospital is necessary. Still, those things aren't designed to be permanent, and even if someone needs to use medication for the rest of their life journey, it's also about improving their coping mechanisms to a point where medication levels are reduced.

This whole business is murky because humans are murky. The trick is balancing each person's needs and yet identifying common trends to advocate for maintaining access to needed services. As we all know, government likes to cut health and education FIRST whenever they want to "balance the budget".

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

And a big problem is that society has placed a negative connotation on the term "mental health". It's almost as if you have to hide the fact that you might suffer from a mental health issue. It's no different than having a heart issue or a diabetes issue or any other health issue in my opinion. The Road Less Traveled book really gets into that and does a good job of bringing mental health out into the open as something that everyone experiences. I'll quit advertising it now. 😁
Many societies have a similar outlook on mental health, it's just the Western ones are pretty contradictory on it...On the one hand, some circles accept the importance of making services available...But doesn't always really work with the person who is accessing services as a partner...On the other hand, some circles downplay the need for having access to services available.

It's all "different but equal". In the same theoretical vein that each individual is human no matter what ethnic group they're from, each individual can use different tools (mental health treatment/talk therapy, guidance from a spiritual elder, natural medicine, pharmaceutical drugs, meditation, etc) to take care of their mental health.

It just gets ****ty because of the negative societal labels we use for race, sexual orientation, and mental health treatment. While I am not lumping those three into one bucket, you'd be surprised how similar the feelings generated by the stigma for each actually are...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Having fondled a G6, S8 and S8+, I'll say this...LG did a really nice job and I would buy the G6. The S8 and S8+ in terms of engineering, are awesome. Much respect to Sammy for fitting a bigger display in something that shares similar dimensions to the Mi Note 2 (in reference to the S8+). Both S8s feel comfortable to hold in the hand.

The G6 does feel like a pretty chunky monkey. It doesn't feel as form fitting to the hand as the S8. It does feel well built though...And I really like that about it. It's like a very nice looking utilitarian device. I saw the silver model and I'm sure this phone looks way better in black.

Still, if I was upgrading from my honor 8 to the G6, it's an easy move. I get more real estate in a more compact form factor, a still interesting camera (I love the wide angle lens) and the upgrades I like such as wireless charging and water resistance.

Jumping from a mi note 2 to the G6 is less clear. Still, my like for the G6 was confirmed.
It's pretty amazing how similar the Mi Note 2 and the S8+ look from a design perspective - if you look at bout phones from the side view.

Why I say it's not clear to justify the jump from the Xiaomi to the G6 is lots of the base specs are the same. Design they are a wash to me.

Am I really willing to go through the hassle of trading away a bigger battery, IR blaster (which I do use), bigger internal storage, bigger battery (I do get two days​ per charge) and 2GB extra RAM for a smaller form factor, Qi charging, water resistance, a more versatile camera and expandable storage?

Not sure. The only reason why I may do it is that I still cannot manage calls on the Xiaomi with a wired headset the way I'd like.

We'll see...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It's pretty amazing how similar the Mi Note 2 and the S8+ look from a design perspective - if you look at bout phones from the side view.

Why I say it's not clear to justify the jump from the Xiaomi to the G6 is lots of the base specs are the same. Design they are a wash to me.

Am I really willing to go through the hassle of trading away a bigger battery, IR blaster (which I do use), bigger internal storage, bigger battery (I do get two days​ per charge) and 2GB extra RAM for a smaller form factor, Qi charging, water resistance, a more versatile camera and expandable storage?

Not sure. The only reason why I may do it is that I still cannot manage calls on the Xiaomi with a wired headset the way I'd like.

We'll see...
Yeah that's tough. Sounds like you'll have to see how this goes for you.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah that's tough. Sounds like you'll have to see how this goes for you.
I can either use a Bluetooth headset, put the phone to my ears or use speaker to manage calls. I'm on a beta weekly ROM and I've gotten all released updates so far, so that's nice. It's just that calling thing is a big thing.

We'll see...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looks like I went 3/3 and sold the items. I think I will try to push for one more item to be sold...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I can either use a Bluetooth headset, put the phone to my ears or use speaker to manage calls. I'm on a beta weekly ROM and I've gotten all released updates so far, so that's nice. It's just that calling thing is a big thing.

We'll see...

Yep that is a major function of a phone. I hope it gets better for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb