WC 1M Post Challenge - You Ready?!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: WC 150K Post Challenge - You Ready?!

Thanks, I should look into what works. Maybe your suggestion on trying to improve it isn't so bad but that feels like it would be hard since wanting to control is a thing with me.

It feels easier to manage the small things that I can, like the phones I use or try. Much easier than debating and freaking out with massive things that I can't, all while trying to deal.

We all freak out over massive things we can't control. :) It's part of our nature. It's part of being human. Our tribal and survival instincts take over.

I guess I've learned to just do what's best for me. I still have my moments of course, that's part of living. Thing is knowing when to make a decision and just work on that.

That's not always been easy for me. I spent a long time just being somewhat numb. I still have my points of procrastination too. Drives my wife a bit nuts I have to admit.

I've been through a lot of change since 2003 (I know that's some years ago) but that's the truth. Moving a lot. Travelling and experiencing the ups and downs of life. It's been an interesting experience.

I get the list you posted and the two that stuck with me is about where to live and what you want to live in. That's more important that what we give it credit. Our environment has a big impact on how we feel.

Hope you find what you're looking for. :)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

We all freak out over massive things we can't control. :) It's part of our nature. It's part of being human. Our tribal and survival instincts take over.

I guess I've learned to just do what's best for me. I still have my moments of course, that's part of living. Thing is knowing when to make a decision and just work on that.

That's not always been easy for me. I spent a long time just being somewhat numb. I still have my points of procrastination too. Drives my wife a bit nuts I have to admit.

I've been through a lot of change since 2003 (I know that's some years ago) but that's the truth. Moving a lot. Travelling and experiencing the ups and downs of life. It's been an interesting experience.

I get the list you posted and the two that stuck with me is about where to live and what you want to live in. That's more important that what we give it credit. Our environment has a big impact on how we feel.

I couldn't agree more regarding the where you live and what you want t live in. It's absolutely one of the biggest defining pieces to our lives that we don't always realize. It really can shape a lot of your other decisions as well.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Cool. I'm looking forward to reading the 99 S8 review.
Give me a couple of weeks. I'm getting on a plane again in a couple of hours. This is getting old. And all options that are currently under consideration as a future career choice aren't going to reduce work travel.
Man, sometimes these first world problems are a drag!

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

The Mi 6 looks really good. That blue and gold and that ceramic and gold options remind me if the Note 7 and 930 Gold editions.

Stills pretty satisfied with the Mi Note 2. Curious to see how 7.1.1 gets done by Xiaomi though...
Yeah, I like the look of the Mi6. High probability of me getting one. Hopefully they'll include USA LTE bands.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

A Cathay Pacific 777 landing at LAX.
607f9b54c1f6dcc515f33c5cc3e55af7.jpg

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

I left that out on purpose, especially as I'm going through my own process to answer those two questions. It's not easy, but it does boil down to what is defined as important in the individual level.

While we cannot tell someone what it important to them, we can encourage them to decide whether it is worth exploring the process of finding out what is important to them.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I like the look of the Mi6. High probability of me getting one. Hopefully they'll include USA LTE bands.
Sounds like we'll hear about the review for that too. Looks like they took the design language started in the Mi 5 and Mi Note 2 and refined it some more.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like we'll hear about the review for that too. Looks like they took the design language started in the Mi 5 and Mi Note 2 and refined it some more.
Mi5 and Mi Note 2 were their original designs. I believe the Mi6 is a bit of a nod to Huawei/Apple. We'll see how it actually is in person.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Ooh okay. Wow. It's kind of funny that you mentioned something about possibly trying something slightly different (I can't recall exactly how you worded it) and this pops up.

Do you think it could be interesting to try it out?
My current job is my 3rd one in the USA.
I have been at the same level (title) for the last 6 years. So I have been exploring a few options lately since there isn't any upward mobility at the current location of the company. However, there now seems to be a decent chance of a position one level up to be vacant and I'm definitely applying for that.

In the meantime recruiters have been calling me left, right and center.

I have an interview next week for a small but growing company for a one level up position in product engineering. There is a good chance that they are a supplier to the fruit stand based in Cupertino. It is local, a long commute though but nevertheless I am going to let the whole situation play out.

The Alphabet position is also decent. If I can get my foot in the door, I'll go for it even though it maybe a lateral move.

I'm talking to a few other established companies and startups as well. In 2008, I turned down a startup offer which in hindsight was a very poor decision as I would have actually happily retired by now.

Then there is one more Trojan horse operation that I work on the side at nights and that might be ready for prime time next month, fingers crossed.

So lots of options, lot to think about. But in some ways better to have these problems than none at all.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I left that out on purpose, especially as I'm going through my own process to answer those two questions. It's not easy, but it does boil down to what is defined as important in the individual level.

While we cannot tell someone what it important to them, we can encourage them to decide whether it is worth exploring the process of finding out what is important to them.

They are the two questions running through my mind at the moment as well.

I was referring generally how I feel and what I've found. Each person needs to sort out what works for them.

Being in the position I am and having to come up with Plan A, B, C, D etc on where to go next in life, preferably in the next two years, these two questions are weighing heavily on me and there are factors well beyond my control with them. The answers are not easy at all.

We've decided a plan but that doesn't meant it's going to go that way.

Hence the other plans. My life has been a bit like this in the last 14 years... I'm a bit used to it but it does get tiring sometimes.

Such is life.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yes you really have been through a lot. Whoa!

You're right though, and thank you. I feel like I don't want to make a mistake with that process. Ideally, I want to be not too far from work and also not too far from the school I hope to attend. For context, it's the only one in my state that offers the Masters I'm looking to do. Right now, I'm quite far from the school.

It feels kind of silly to plan for what I'm hoping for but I know I just need to do the work to get into the program.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes you really have been through a lot. Whoa!

You're right though, and thank you. I feel like I don't want to make a mistake with that process. Ideally, I want to be not too far from work and also not too far from the school I hope to attend. For context, it's the only one in my state that offers the Masters I'm looking to do. Right now, I'm quite far from the school.

It feels kind of silly to plan for what I'm hoping for but I know I just need to do the work to get into the program.

If I told you the whole story it would probably blow your mind. It still blows mine and I lived it! It feels like someone else's life. Sounds a lot more adventurous and crazy than what it feels like... That probably sounds weird. LOL!

Moving is never easy. Even to places you may know. Finding compromise is really difficult.

I've moved a lot where I lived in Canada and Australia. Here in the UK is probably the least I've moved. Oddly it's not the furthest commute I've had. Our moving has been on the fly a lot. So I'm not the best person to ask for guidance.

That's why I said I hope you're find what works for you. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

My current job is my 3rd one in the USA.
I have been at the same level (title) for the last 6 years. So I have been exploring a few options lately since there isn't any upward mobility at the current location of the company. However, there now seems to be a decent chance of a position one level up to be vacant and I'm definitely applying for that.

In the meantime recruiters have been calling me left, right and center.

I have an interview next week for a small but growing company for a one level up position in product engineering. There is a good chance that they are a supplier to the fruit stand based in Cupertino. It is local, a long commute though but nevertheless I am going to let the whole situation play out.

The Alphabet position is also decent. If I can get my foot in the door, I'll go for it even though it maybe a lateral move.

I'm talking to a few other established companies and startups as well. In 2008, I turned down a startup offer which in hindsight was a very poor decision as I would have actually happily retired by now.

Then there is one more Trojan horse operation that I work on the side at nights and that might be ready for prime time next month, fingers crossed.

So lots of options, lot to think about. But in some ways better to have these problems than none at all.

First, thanks for answering!

Wow, you really have the ball rolling here in various ways. That's a lot to think about and consider. Good luck with the interview (this goes for Alphabet too really)! Also good luck with the operation you have on the side. I hope it will be ready when you want it to be.

May you decide on the best paths for you.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

They are the two questions running through my mind at the moment as well.

I was referring generally how I feel and what I've found. Each person needs to sort out what works for them.

Being in the position I am and having to come up with Plan A, B, C, D etc on where to go next in life, preferably in the next two years, these two questions are weighing heavily on me and there are factors well beyond my control with them. The answers are not easy at all.

We've decided a plan but that doesn't meant it's going to go that way.

Hence the other plans. My life has been a bit like this in the last 14 years... I'm a bit used to it but it does get tiring sometimes.

Such is life.
Understood. My own plans can blow up in a few months to a year's time.

But, I step back and casually say: 13 years ago I moved to the US only with my documents and my life in two suitcases (one of which had college and high school textbooks I liked). If I worked through that to get to where I'm at, I'll work through these next round of challenges.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Aw that sucks. :(

I missed the chance to ask why it was underwhelming. Was it just not as good as you hoped?
It looked better than it tasted - flat and with no flavor. There's a reason why I'm picky when it comes to "Chinese" food...very few places make it in sch a way my bod tolerates it well these days - usually the better the ingredients, the easier it is to eat.

My stomach was so displeased I had to do something I very rarely do - use a public restroom...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

It looked better than it tasted - flat and with no flavor. There's a reason why I'm picky when it comes to "Chinese" food...very few places make it in sch a way my bod tolerates it well these days - usually the better the ingredients, the easier it is to eat.

My stomach was so displeased I had to do something I very rarely do - use a public restroom...
Ahh I hate it when that happens. :/ Sounds like you have reason to be picky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)